PDA

View Full Version : AviSynth installer

sh0dan
25th September 2002, 19:42
Finally I got some time to look at how installers work.

I used nullsoft's installer, and it does the job very well.

It's very easy to use. You select where you want it to put the documentation, press ok, and AviSynth is installed - No need to fiddle with .reg-files anymore.

If you already have defined a plugin directory, it will remember that, otherwise one is created for you (and registered).

Links for documentation, Plugin-dir and uninstaller is created in your program menu.

Beware, the uninstaller removes all traces of avisynth, so don't use it, unless you mean it :)

Get the binary here' (http://cultact-server.novi.dk/kpo/avisynth/avs_cvs.html)

Edit: Just made the uninstaller a bit more intelligent
- it will not touch your plugin directory, if you have put files into it.
- Completely removes all other directories created.
- it creates a link for avisynth.org

stickboy
25th September 2002, 20:14
Cool.

Maybe I'm an oddball, but I'd prefer all the documentation in a separate subdirectory (like "docs" or "manual" or something). Putting the "filters" directory at the same level as "plugins" seems potentially confusing.

hakko504
25th September 2002, 20:14
Well done.:D

Now, are you going to relese 2.06?

sh0dan
25th September 2002, 20:18
@stickboy: It'll be pretty empty without them, but I do agree - it's confusing.

@hakko: Probably - I do still have one unconfirmed report of an error in the Resize-functions, but everyone else seems to have a good working version. I'd like the installer tested a little more, before 2.06 - if you understand :)

sh0dan
25th September 2002, 20:27
Installer now puts documentation into /docs - new binary up (beware, same filename)

Does anybody have a big problem with AviSynth removing the plugindir registry, when it is uninstalled. I could keep it, but on the other hand, I'd like AviSynth to clean up properly after itself, if the user wants to uninstall.

Belgabor
25th September 2002, 22:48
Originally posted by sh0dan
Installer now puts documentation into /docs - new binary up (beware, same filename)

Does anybody have a big problem with AviSynth removing the plugindir registry, when it is uninstalled. I could keep it, but on the other hand, I'd like AviSynth to clean up properly after itself, if the user wants to uninstall.

My standard answer: make it an option. = ask the user on uninstall if the path should be deleted. (Just as the "delete the savegames?" question on the uninstall of most games)

Cheers
Belgabor

25th September 2002, 23:07
My vote: do not remove it. If I am just uninstalling to reintall a newer version I'm going to very annoyed to lose all my plugins!

Belgabor
25th September 2002, 23:21
@neuron2: I dun think he meant removing the contents, only the registry entry (sorry if my post sounded confusing in this matter)

26th September 2002, 00:54
@Belgabor

Thank you for the clarification. I agree with you that it should be optional.

Do I assume the installer also gives a way to define the plugins directory? The earlier post is a little ambiguous because it says "one is created for you".

$$$
26th September 2002, 05:00
Do I assume the installer also gives a way to define the plugins directory?

Kind of. You determine the path where your new Avisynth folder should be created and it will add two subfolders there, one for docs and one for plugins.

Klaus, thanks for another nice enhancement to AVS. It will definitely help to make it even more popular. The only very little thing I was missing in this tool is a success (failure resp.) message at the end of the installation procedure. This is quite common for installers and the less experienced user might be irritated if there is no feedback.

KUT:cool:W!

$

sh0dan
26th September 2002, 08:10
Originally posted by $$$

Kind of. You determine the path where your new Avisynth folder should be created and it will add two subfolders there, one for docs and one for plugins.

... and the plugin directory is ONLY created, if you haven't already defined one in the registry. Otherwise the directory will remain the same as you already have.

Klaus, thanks for another nice enhancement to AVS. It will definitely help to make it even more popular. The only very little thing I was missing in this tool is a success (failure resp.) message at the end of the installation procedure. This is quite common for installers and the less experienced user might be irritated if there is no feedback.

If the installer cannot write to the registry, a popup will occur, telling you to try to log in as administrator.
Well - it's mostly a matter of opinion. It doesn't bother me much, so I'll just let the log-screen be there, until the user presses ok.

sh0dan
26th September 2002, 09:28
Made it, as you describe - now plugin pointer removal is optional, the log-screen remains, until the user presses ok, and some minor changes to error-handling.

Mr.Shine
26th September 2002, 17:38
Forgive me if I'd prefer to just copy the Avisynth DLL to where it belongs.
Does anyone know how to extract single files from the nullsoft installer?

sh0dan
26th September 2002, 18:26
Official releases, will be .exe files, but I'll most probably return to doing CVS-test versions as Zip-files - they're a bit easier to update.