PDA

View Full Version : To all rempeg users.

gampt
25th September 2002, 04:14
I run into movies, from time to time, that cannot be rempeged because of video blockiness or video shaking that the whole process produces. I've recently tried The Royal Tenenbaums and found out what is causing the problem. Rempeg detects video mode by analizing the movie at the very begining of the file and then applies this mode for transcoding. For some reason, the author of The Royal Tenenbaums inserted 2 seconds of blank video in the front of the movie. This extra video has a different video mode then the movie itself. This is causing rempeg to apply the video mode of the blank portion to the entire file, resulting in an incorrect transcoding mode for the movie itself.
The solution is very simple, and it would probably apply to other movies as well. Strip vob ids that aren't part of the movie, no matter how small they appear to be, before running rempeg. ;)

Chumboy
25th September 2002, 13:22
gampt,
you are correct...this method works for me every time.
in fact, i demux all vob_1 files for all films to see if there is a trailer in the beginning...then hack it out and rebuild vob_1.

gampt
26th September 2002, 05:41
Everybody probably knows by now, at least from other posts, about freezing issue when using newer versions of ifoedit with a rempeged movie. I am wondering if ifoedit's compatibility with rempeg will be restored in the next version. To me rempeg is a valuable addition to ifoedit enabling me to use ifoedit to it's full potential. I know some people prefer the cce method but taking in account all of the pros and cons I would rather stay with rempeg. Derrow, would you tell me if future releases of ifoedit will be supporting rempeg?

mck3nzi3
26th September 2002, 08:00
Can you explain how I can strip Vob ID's that is not part of the main movie ?
Thanks for help...there's many people that want to use reMPEG for their resample...it's very simple to use.

gampt
26th September 2002, 17:47
Just strip unwanted audio and subtitle streams but don't remove any vob ids yet. This will create a new set of vobs. Now open movie.ifo that you just created and preview vob ids at the beggining of the movie to find out which ones don't belong there. Finaly strip vob ids while removing unwanted ones.
Hope this helps.

Chumboy
27th September 2002, 00:43
this is my sequence:

rip to hard drive
create new sub-directory called vob1
in that new directory, make another sub-directory called cellid.
move the vob_1 from the movie title set into the vob1 directory.
open vob_1 with VobEdit
select Demux
select "cell id"
then select the cellid directory as where to dump the cell-id files.
let vobedit do its thing.

open DVD2AVI
drop the first cell vob file onto DVD2AVI
press F5 to play

if it plays some warning screens, etc. AND THEN THE MOVIE (all contained in that cell-id vob file), then you DO NOT need to remove the warning screens.

if it just plays just the warning screens then ends, I delete this cell-id vob file.
then i drop cell-id #2 onto DVD2AVI and play it.

if it contains just more warning screens and not the movie, I delete this one also.

i keep playing and deleting cell-id vob files until i find the one that has the beginning of the movie.

then i open that cell-id vob file in vobedit and choose "join vobcell id files" and save it into the ORIGINAL MOVIE RIP DIRECTORY.

then i create m2v file, use ifoedit.6 to remux and strip streams at the same time. remember to save your ifo files manually in .6
i usually get some type of "something went terribly wrong" error when "getting vts sectors"
i remedy this by stripping streams again using ifoedit.91.
get vts sectors with .91 and all should be fine.

be safe and ALWAYS use ifoedit to make an image file to burn.

GearDVDPro has never failed me when i use an ifoedit image file.

all done.

Man...I love this stuff!!!

hope this helps.

dvd_maniac
27th September 2002, 01:48
I must be messing up somewhere. First I rip with smartripper 2.41 in movie mode with no stream processing.
then I use rempeg as described by derrow's site.
then I use ifoedit .6 to remux, strip streams, correct vob, correct ifo. then I keep only the english ac3 file. when I am done I have only the new vob files in the new directory. I then copy the ifo and bup files into that new directory with the remuxed vobs. then I copy a video_ts.vob into that directory and reopen ifoedit .6(Can I also use ifoedit .9x here too?) to get vts sectors.
Does this sound right?

gampt
27th September 2002, 04:14
Use smart ripper first. Then use ifoedit .932 to strip audio and subtitle streams. Then open VTS_01_0.IFO of the new vob set using ifoedit 0.932 and preview first vob ids. Then:

If there is no vob ids to be removed proceed to A.
If there are vob ids to be removed proceed to B.

A: Create cffl file. Then rempeg movie. Then remux the movie using ifoedit 0.6.

B: Strip vob ids. Then open VTS_01_0.IFO of the newest vob set using ifoedit 0.932 and proceed to A.

Don't forget to get vts sectors after each step. You can try to combine some steps together later on.

Good luck.

dvd_maniac
28th September 2002, 02:55
this is wahere I am messed up on...
first I rip movie mode w/ smart ripper
then I strip with .932 keeping only the 1 audio track into new dir
then i create cffl and rempeg the movie.
then I open .6 and remux(Should I have anything else checked in this step?because I usually leave correct vob and correct ifo checked.)
then in the new directory I saved the remuxed vob's in only has the vob files. What should I do here? Copy the stripped ifo and bup files, copy the original ripped files or create ifo's in .932?
I am trying 40 days and what's happening is that ifoplayer says not a valid dvd set. and power dvd starts play pixelated and chapters are messed up. I would really like to put this problem to bed if I can.
thanx in advance

gampt
28th September 2002, 07:37
Save new VTS_01_0.IFO and VTS_01_0.BUP using .6 to a new directory. Also copy stripped VIDEO_TS.IFO and VIDEO_TS.BUP to a new directory. Run "get vts sectors" with .932.

Guss
30th September 2002, 13:07
Hy !!
I found a little "complicated" what you're doing to deal with movies that has logos or trailers before the movie "itself" and confuses ReMPEG2, I'll tell what I do in that case hoping this will help you and make your life a little more happy ! :-)
I just use Smartripper to do the job, what I do is just Rip but in MOVIE mode, obviously without stream processing, so that smartripper "strip Vob-ids that don't belong to the movie" and generate VOB with just the cells(Vob-id) of the movie, so it eliminates any trailer or logo that can cause the problem with ReMPEG2. I am sure all of you already knew that!! :-) BUT DO NOT FORGET to copy in FILE mode VIDEO_TS.* before you start your ripping in movie mode, so that you end with all the files that ifoedit will need, -DVDMANIAC- That's why you only has VOB and no ifo's at all, ifoedit needs VIDEO_TS.ifo to generate a new one.

So in short, I just copy VIDEO_Ts.* first in file mode, then in movie mode all the necesary VOB's so I have all the files I need, and so I use Rempeg2 - Remux strip streams&subtitules at the same time with ifoedit 0.9. I think is easy ! Smartripper do the job in advance so you don't have to care about it !! I found Warner movies always has a logo in the first VOB! Maybe not in US, here in Region 2 Pal version, it always has it! Obviously this applies for movie only dvd-r!

Hey Chumboy greetings! :-), great to "read" you again !!
why do you think ifoedit 0.6 is better for remux&striptreams, I use ver 0.91 and have no problems at all !

Greetings!
:)

Chumboy
30th September 2002, 15:27
hey gus!!!
long time!

i've heard to use .6, but will try .91.

thanks.

gampt
30th September 2002, 21:14
Hi, Gus

I've tried your method and it works ok. Saves some time too. Maybe there is no need to use ifoedit .6 as well. I haven't tested it with "trouble" movies yet.
And Gus, we don't all know about it. Thanks for bringing it up.

snidely
1st October 2002, 22:45
rip to hard drive
create new sub-directory called vob1
in that new directory, make another sub-directory called cellid.
move the vob_1 from the movie title set into the vob1 directory.
open vob_1 with VobEdit
select Demux
select "cell id"
then select the cellid directory as where to dump the cell-id files.
let vobedit do its thing.

open DVD2AVI
drop the first cell vob file onto DVD2AVI
press F5 to play

Hmmm...I don't understand why you need to go through all those steps. Why don't you just open the movie .IFO and then double click on each cell to see what it contains. Then take note of the VOB ID and strip it out in the next step? Doesn't this accomplish the same thing with a LOT less trouble, or am I missing something?

Guss
1st October 2002, 23:32
TO: -GAMPT - first of all big Thanks for your nice reply!! I thought this info could be helpfull
About "trouble" movies, all I can tell you is that I used 0.91ver with "The Abyss" which is a "seamless branching" movie, It has 2 versions of the same movie on same disc, and Worked just perfect!!, even aplying ReMPEG2 after selecting and processing with ifoedit the especial edition ver that has 30 minutes more so that's why ReMPEG eas needed. I remux&stripstreams and voilą ... I also did Shrek, which is multiangled and worked also fine. My movies are R2 PAL, maybe the NTSC version have diferent structure who knows?

TO: -snidely-
I agree with you 100%, it's easier that way, but there is no even need to do "this step" if you just rip the movie with smartripper in movie mode, so just ripping to hd in the first time, you also strip away those vobid's that are placed before the start of the movie, and confuses ReMpeg2.

Greetings.

gampt
2nd October 2002, 19:30
I agree. There is no need for "this step" even in my lenghty method since you can preview vob ids in ifoedit itself. If all you want is movie only I think Gus's method is the quickest way to get you there.

Kenwood
20th October 2002, 15:18
Download XP Chopper 2.1
Load the first movie VOB and set MARKER IN at 2 sec.
Then set MARKER OUT to the end.
File -> Save
You will have a new vob file without the 2 sec black screen ready for ReMpeg 1.5.2.
Works ok for me and takes about 1 min to do.
Best regards,

Kenwood

rmtaibo
20th October 2002, 16:17
Originally posted by Kenwood
Download XP Chopper 2.1
Load the first movie VOB and set MARKER IN at 2 sec.
Then set MARKER OUT to the end.
File -> Save
You will have a new vob file without the 2 sec black screen ready for ReMpeg 1.5.2.
Works ok for me and takes about 1 min to do.
Best regards,

Kenwood

This is a good solution.
Somebody else tested this method?