PDA

View Full Version : 15fps - have you tried?

ajctc
22nd September 2002, 22:43
I made a test enconding a xvcd in tmpenc, using the frame rate at 15 fps(30fps internally).The source was a 720x240 ntsc 1 minute AVI clip, full screen, captured with hufyuv codec.
I used min 300, max 3000 bps, cq70.Loaded the vcd template and changed the frame rate and the rate control mode.
The vcd came out with a video mean birate of 450 bps, wich means one can put 160 minutes of video in a 80 min CDR.
The visual quality is very good and played with no problems in my DVD player.
Does anybody have tried this, with a full lengh video?
Please post your results

m3taPT
25th September 2002, 18:41
If you say that quality is "very good", then i guess that MY "very good" quality would make you faint.

That quality is crappy. Go for quality, not quantity.

Vapor
25th September 2002, 22:27
If you want to put a film on 1 CD stick to DivX or similar. You are lucky your DVD player played the file anyway as most wouldn't. Considering CD's are like 10p each what's the point anymore in trying to cram more minutes on one anyway.

poopity poop
26th September 2002, 17:01
well, I don't knwo about you guys, but shitty 10 cent CD's don't burn SVCD's very well. The only CD I have found that can ACTUALLY burn at 48x, and burn SVCD's flawlessly(even though I burn SVCD's at 32x not 48x..just don't trust it), is the very expensive Imation CD's. These are the highest quality CD's on the market..and well worth the money. But this is coming from someone who ACTUALLY own hundreds of DVD's, and ACTUALLY only rips owned DVD's, and has the money to buy the best CD's

Vapor
26th September 2002, 17:13
Even in the UK I get DataSafe 32x Silver Premiums at 15 pence (about 22 cents) each. I must admit to using Verbatim DataLife+ 40x disks for my collectors edition stuff backups but tbh the DataSafe's are some of the best disks around.

I also own over 500 DVD's (Mainly boxed sets and anime) and back up all such sets, they are just too expensive to replace considering the amount of playback they get.

I only burn SVCD's at 4x anyways as my picky Philips DVD player won't playback otherwise (regardless of media used and I have tried over 30 types.)

The initial point to my post was not one of mass production but rather to point out that after spending your hard earned cash on the DVD's why not spend an extra few quid on the extra CD's to back them up.

RadicalEd
26th September 2002, 21:26
I'm kind of forced to use the cheap-o circuit city sti brand cd-r's, mostly because they're the only kind that work with my player, but they've worked flawlessley thus far. Plus theres the neat advantage that they work on a lot of players that dont natively support cd-r.

ajctc
27th September 2002, 01:24
Hi m3taPT

Wich settings did you use for encoding?
My sample, viewed by BitRate Viewer, gave Qlevel peak=1.5 average=0.43.This is indeed a good quality for a VCD.
I suppose you did a test, did you?
If you didn't,I would suggest one, using your favorite vcd template, and another one changing only the frame rate to 15 fps(internally 30fps).
Play both in your dvd player. Run BitRate Viewer to get the Qlevel.
Post your results if you please.
Thanks for answering.

ajctc
27th September 2002, 01:49
Hi Vapor

Yes, Divx is fine but I can't play it in my DVD player.
As the playback is 30 fps, I guess any vcd compliant dvd player could play a vcd encoded at 15 fps(internally 30 fps)
One could use this not only to gain space but quality as well.