PDA

View Full Version : Printing dvd covers?

hoops10
21st September 2002, 20:36
I really didnt know what category to put this in but I really need some help here. I'm using Paint Shop Pro 7 to scan in a dvd cover and coverXP to try and print it. The problem comes in when trying to print. I know the dvd cover is small enough (barely) to fit onto a regular piece of printer paper but when I print, part of it gets cut off. It's like the program won't use the entire piece of printer paper. Can anyone help me or suggest a different program to print from? Thanks.

King.inter
21st September 2002, 22:23
Get coverpro & make a user defined template ( The same size as a DVD cover) :)

Really easy to use.

trex-uk
21st September 2002, 23:18
yes cover pro is what you want to use, when you get it up and running type in the following measurements
h=18.2
v=27.5
x=0.1
y=0.1
and when you print out it will be spot on.

Artur
21st September 2002, 23:26
Hello, i use coverxp and never had a problem. My version is COVXP131.
I choose dvd.front(130x182mm) and orientation landscape. Click on the window and select the cover image and thatīs that. You can see the preview by clicking preview.covers. After all that choose print and you will be fine.

hoops10
22nd September 2002, 00:30
@Artur

I just did a measurement of a dvd cover (the whole thing including side and back) and it was about 181 mm for width and about 273 mm for height. I dont know where you got your numbers from.

hoops10
22nd September 2002, 00:49
@trex-uk

I put those values you gave me into cover pro but when I printed it, it cut off part of the cover again (this time the part of the front). I am trying to print the entire cover, front, side and back and I know that it will fit onto a regular size paper. Any help?

I've tried adjusting the V: value and it seems to not cut off as much, but the total size of the cover is still too short (as compared to the original).

Is there anyway to adjust the program so that it prints closer to the edge of the printer paper? That is what I need.

jesoonster
22nd September 2002, 02:18
I was having the same problem. The best i could do was to use autoadjust in photoshop to print after i scan.....

It went to about 99.7% or so of original scan image...

The_Flash
22nd September 2002, 05:07
hoops10,

I was having the exact same problem as you. The problem is because the printer doesn't have anything to hold onto to continue feeding the paper through. So you have two options:

1) Use legal size paper 8.5 x 14

2) Cut a rectangular piece of paper out to attach to the bottom of
your 8.5 x 11 paper, then specify it as 'legal' under your print
options

I have some nice thick photo HP paper that is 8.5 x 11, so I've been using option #2. It's kind of a cheesy fix but it works and won't cut off any of your cover.

brett
22nd September 2002, 08:24
Originally posted by hoops10
@Artur

I just did a measurement of a dvd cover (the whole thing including side and back) and it was about 181 mm for width and about 273 mm for height. I dont know where you got your numbers from.

You just read his post wrong. The front/back of a DVD cover is 130x182mm and the spine is 15x182mm, which gives you a total size of 275x182mm, so you're both right.

If you want to save yourself a lot of ink, you can print your DVD covers with a white back (gives you a chance to list the actual included features on your rip), then make a template that takes advantage of the whole paper. You generally have a 0.5" edge that can't be printed on, but if the back of the cover is white with a 0.5" border, it doesn't matter. Personally, I print mostly white covers with a scan of the original DVD cover at about 80% size on the front just to keep me from using up an ink cartridge for every 10 covers.

Artur
22nd September 2002, 09:53
Hello, hoops10 give a chance to coverxp131, download is free trial from http://www.kotsalainen.com/download/ . Itīs not the last version,but it works for me.:)

hoops10
22nd September 2002, 14:23
@brett

I dont understand what you mean when you say "I print mostly white covers with a scan of the original DVD cover." Does that mean you print in black and white? OR are you just making the background white or what?

hoops10
23rd September 2002, 23:17
@The_Flash

Thanks for the reply. I also have HP soft gloss paper and would like to print my dvd covers on these. When I try to print on regular paper (to test it first), it cuts the end of the image off a little. I choose LEGAL in the page setup, is there any way to tell the printer to print to the edge of the paper attaching a second piece of paper to the end of it? If I could tell the printer to print to the end of the paper, it would fit. But how do I do that?

Is there any way to get rid of the bottom margin? Like set it to 0 or something like that?

King.inter
24th September 2002, 07:19
These are my settings, which work fine.

User defined 1

H 27.3 V 18.3

X 0.6 Y 0.6

Rotate 90* ticked

(A4) paper

COBBY
24th September 2002, 17:15
Can anybody tell me if it is ok
to use the sticky cd lables on dvd-r discs?

COBBY

padre
24th September 2002, 19:14
COBBY

It's not recommended by alot of people on this forum, and it's definitely not supported by the media manufacturer. The standard paper labels, like you'd apply to a CD-R are definitely out! They are way too heavy and on some, the glue breaks down and harms the disc.

Some other issues people have seen, such as causing the disc to go out of balance, label coming off and gumming up the player, etc. Many people don't believe it's worth the risk...

...having said that, I use a very thin, very lightweight translucent label for my DVD's (http://www.data-labels.com/neatclearcdl.html). So far , after about 5-6 months worth of using them - over 400, no problems.

You roll the dice, you take your chances.

Since this thread started on DVD covers, I've got a question for the group. Has anyone got a source for heavy stock legal-sized paper? 8.5"x14"? I can't seem to locate a source. 59lb, 65lb or higher. Staples and those guys don't seem to carry. I print DVD covers via legal paper, but the ink soaks through and a heavy paper would look better.

padre
24th September 2002, 21:18
I found a place that sells DVD Case Inserts for $20 for 100 (plus shipping). Comes to $25 for me. At $.25 per cover, I'll give them a try and let you know how they look. I figure for my keepers, I'll use them.

hoops10
24th September 2002, 21:44
@King.inter

I tried those settings with COver Pro but when it prints, it squeezes the image long ways. I tried it both with the Rotate 90 box checked and unchecked. Im in the US, is a4 the type of paper in the UK?

The_Flash
24th September 2002, 22:33
@The_Flash

...is there any way to tell the printer to print to the edge of the paper attaching a second piece of paper to the end of it? If I could tell the printer to print to the end of the paper, it would fit. But how do I do that?

That's precisely what I was suggesting you do. You can just attach an 8.5 x 3 rectangle to the bottom of your standard paper, then tell the printer the paper is legal sized. The printer will print the full cover without chopping, and when it's done you just tear off the rectangle and slap it on for the next print. It works well if you want to use nice paper that is 8.5 x 11. I use coverXP to print with.

Just another note, I really wouldn't recommend photo or glossy paper for DVD covers. The surface tends to stick to the plastic of the DVD cases and gives you a funky looking half-@ssed laminated look when put inside the case.

hoops10
24th September 2002, 22:54
@The_Flash

So what about soft-glass paper? Do you think that will look like crap? Do you just tape the extra rectangular paper to the 8.5 x 11 good piece? What type of paper do you use? What settings in CoverXP do you use, other than setting the paper to legal? Thanks.

The_Flash
25th September 2002, 02:19
As far as paper, just use common sense. If its a plastic like finish or even slightly tacky like photo paper then it's going to stick to the clear plastic on the DVD case.

The rest of this isn't really quantum physics either. I'm pretty sure it doesn't even matter how long your extension piece is, just so the printer has something to use to feed the end of your good sheet. Just tape it on there.

CoverXP I use something like 10 - 0, 1 - 0, 0, 0

hoops10
25th September 2002, 02:59
@the_Flash

I got it!! I just taped a 3" piece to the end of the paper and it worked. I'm using Kodac Soft-Gloss paper and it looks great. I'm not, however, printing at the highest quality setting though. I'm just using the normal setting and it still looks great. Thanks for the tips! BTW, what paper do you use?

Octagon
25th September 2002, 03:58
OMFG you people are idiots now arent you? Jesus christ just use A4 size paper. DVd covers are longer than 8.5X11 paper will allow and thats why it cuts it or ADOBe wants to resize it for the correct range. BUy some epson photo paper at At. 20-30 slices for like 10$. Yeah its expensive but who cares. I got a link if you guys want. Works great for me. Also good printer is nessecity also.

hoops10
25th September 2002, 13:57
First of all, Einstein, dvd covers are NOT bigger than 8.5 x 11 paper, they will fit on there. I have done it many, many times. The dvd covers will fit, just barely, onto 8.5 x 11 paper, but they WILL fit.

Octagon
25th September 2002, 17:59
Dude thats only if you have a proper EDge to edge printer. I dont so thats what I said what I said. Don't take it personal. I say this for people who have Printers like My HP Inkjet printer.

hoops10
25th September 2002, 18:51
Octagon

I use Kodac Soft-Gloss paper that is only $20 for 100 sheets and works great with the "tape trick" and the results are amazing. BTW, I have an HP Inkjet printer also. Do you print an "Best" quality or "Normal"? About how long will a color ink cartridge last if you print at "Best" quality?

The_Flash
26th September 2002, 01:53
Originally posted by Octagon
OMFG you people are idiots now arent you? Jesus christ just use A4 size paper.

You say something like that and expect people to not take it personally? Save those comments for isonews.

The rest of your post was informative though. Thanks for the input.

grog
26th September 2002, 22:49
Err - havent read second page of posts so this may already have been said -

Download Covermagic - It resizes the images and it does CDs DVDS and VHS - VERY USEFUL TOOL

get it from

www.nextgen.dk/covermagic

GROG

jmonfm
27th September 2002, 13:21
As I don't have a scanner, I use www.cdcovers.cc and have found nearly every cover I wanted. All done for you (aka lazy old dog);)
Happy Ripping.

The_Flash
6th October 2002, 01:15
cdcovers.cc is ok for a quick fix or if you're in a bind. It seems though that a lot of their scans are sub-par quality, blurry, or Dutch. Granted if you want good scans you may have to search a little, but you can find some good info and a start at:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=236915

Unfortunately http://www.dvdcoverart.com/ is down for some time, but when it goes back online you'll never want to settle for cdcovers.cc again.

jmonfm
6th October 2002, 11:48
Yes, I suppose you are right. The covers can be a bit fuzzy or in Dutch. I have saved the dvdcoverart site in my favourites - and will check if it comes back online. Thanks for the link.
Happy Ripping

ArkiMage
9th October 2002, 03:06
I've gotten a few decent ones from cdcovers.cc but most of the time the ones I've looked at have been sub-par. It's probably also in a FAQ on their site or something but most of the covers from there are sized odd as compared to the size of a real DVD cover. Anyone else notice that?

Anyway, I just posted about 600MB of 300x300DPI scans of some older DVDs to alt.binaries.dvd if anyone is interested. Grab 'em while you can.

hoops10
9th October 2002, 23:41
@ArkiMage

Great looking scans! If you happen to have Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Field of Dreams, and/or Toy Story 1 and 2, could you please upload them to alt.binaries.dvd also? Thanks.

brett
11th October 2002, 05:28
@brett

I dont understand what you mean when you say "I print mostly white covers with a scan of the original DVD cover." Does that mean you print in black and white? OR are you just making the background white or what?

I guess this is an old thread, but I've been busy lately. Anyway, if you still wanna know what I was talking about, here's one of my covers. 3138x2400 is the max printable area of my printer at 300 dpi on standard paper, so that's the size of the template. It leaves a half-inch unprintable border along the right, so I make use of that by only cutting off the other three sides. I like the template because it gives me uniform-looking DVD's that are clean-looking, don't use much ink, and have all the important info. I just have to find a picture to past in, then enter the stream info.

brett
17th October 2002, 12:48
Holy crap!

I just meant to attach it as a file... I didn't know it was going to stick a 3138x2400 JPG in the middle of the thread. :)

jazzie
19th October 2002, 00:54
Brett, nice idea on the covers. What template program is that, and are those the fonts that you use.....nice look. I'd like to do something like that.

Can you email me the template or direct me to the program that you are using?

If you get the chance drop me an email at: djjazzy@bigfoot.com

Thanks !