PDA

View Full Version : Do SVCD and CVD specs have MINIMUM bitrate?

FredThompson
21st September 2002, 02:03
Like the title says, are there minimum specified bitrates in the CVD and SVCD specs?

I'm looking for both the video stream and total bitrates.

hoozdapimp
21st September 2002, 03:40
i don't think there's a minimum but i know sometimes d2s chokes if the bitrate is too low (i think cce will crash or something)...anywho, ususally people leave the min bitrate to 300..you're not gonna save much space by unchecking this, as just about the only thing that will go below this are very very dark scenes that last a long time with little or no movement.

markrb
21st September 2002, 06:44
I do not know of an official minimum bitrate, but I do know that many DVD players puke if the bitrate falls below 300.

Mark

FredThompson
21st September 2002, 13:31
From what I've found, it looks like the highest valid A+V bitrate for CVD and SVCD is 2756 kbps.

Given that (assuming it's true), would it be safe to say an 80m CDR can hold at least 40 minutes of highest-bitrate CBR CVD or SVCD? Does that seem correct?

Uh....that's CVD implemented as pure CVD, not as a DVD format.

It also just occurred to me PAL formats would have more time available in the same space as NTSC.

Oh, what type of mode 2 usage of CDR media do SVCD and CVD use? Those would change how much available space there is as well.

UltimateDBZ
21st September 2002, 15:58
40mins is generally said to be how much video a standard 700mb CD-R can hold. This length is extended, of course, when lower bitrates are used, smaller resolutions are used, and other factors.

FredThompson
21st September 2002, 19:35
Right. That's what I was thinking. Since SVCD and CVD (non-DVD implementation) have a bitrate cap, the LEAST that will fit on an 80m CDR is 40 minutes. I realize the lower the bitrate, the more that can fit. I'm just wondering if there are specified low bitrate limits.