PDA

View Full Version : A good warning sign of a DVD-R failing....

Carlos Garcia
14th September 2002, 22:52
I have noticed in the past that when a DVD-R disc is starting to fail, usually it will either start to skip, pixilate, or just not be recognized by a stand alone DVD player...that's the bad news...The good news is that when you see these signs, usually the disc can still be seen perfectly on your PC, which gives you plenty of time to buy a new blank media(brand name is preferable)and make a copy of the disc. I wonder why DVD players are just so sensitive to recordable media, while DVD drives are so forgiving!

CG

Ber60
15th September 2002, 00:14
I'm also interrested in these failings, perhaps there is a way to find out what's causing it eg. dye or others. A good start would be establishing what brand gave these errors or asking the manufacturer what the lifespan of his dvd-r's are. I have no experience "yet" with these failings, I hope will never have.

On the subject of DVD drives being so forgiving, I believe it has to do with the buffer size, giving them more time for error correcting.

Commander XJL
15th September 2002, 00:27
When mine started to fail, I tried ripping them back up to my computer right away and they wouldn't rip no matter what ripping app I used or what DVD drive I used (3 different ones), just nothing but read errors. Either you got lucky or I was unlucking about 8 times in a row. I know DVD Rom drives with PowerDVD are more forgiving when it comes to authoring errors, but they didn't forgive me for buying crap media.

alexnoe
15th September 2002, 15:35
Commander: If you use an LG 12x or LG 16x DVD-ROM, then this would explain your problem. These drives are crap for reading DVD-R(W).

Commander XJL
15th September 2002, 19:50
Nope, that wasn't it. Just unreadable disks at that point

rinkel
15th September 2002, 20:56
I have seen these pixel-things on a friends dvd player, but on my player everything is working just fine. This disk was recorded today. So should i make a new copy ?
I have another warning for you guys.. I am one of the idiots who buyed some discs from cdrecordable.com :(. Today i noticed that ALL of those discs are starting to disintegrate... the toplayer at the end of the discs are coming off !
So today i started to write all those discs to my HD and burn them to a-brand media.

alexnoe
15th September 2002, 21:01
But note that Imation/CMC is one of the branded once which are also crap

thxtof
15th September 2002, 21:08
...I have seen these pixel-things on a friends dvd player, but on my player everything is working just fine. This disk was recorded today. So should i make a new copy ? ...

Some settop players can read better than other ones DVD-R media, so it's not necessarly a DVD-R problem.

What I would do is try to copy the entire DVD-R on your PC.

If you get errors that means the DVD-R is bad quality.

So far everytime a DVD-R started failing on me (freezing arround the end), I was unable to copy it back on my PC :(

alexnoe
15th September 2002, 21:11
In this point, DVD disc format is bad! On CDs, you can do C1/C2-scans to check the readability/degration, but DVDs don't offer such possibilities :angry:

COBBY
24th September 2002, 05:24
I had this problem my dvd-rw played the movie fine
on my stand alone when i burnt to a cheap DVD-R
from the VIDEO_TS file on my hard drive (same file as the DVD-rw)
it got about half way and started to pixalate then lockted up
on my stand alone but played fine in my computer
so i made an iso file of the bad disk with decrupter
and burnt it to a new cheap disk same brand (laser made in taiwain)
this time it played fine ! have made many more dvdrs the same way
so it seems to be bulitproof i am only a beginer
anybody got any idears?
why these disks work when burnt with an iso file and not when burnt
with a VIDEO_TS file on my standalone dvd player?

REGARDS COBBY