PDA

View Full Version : Can someone make this player? (developers read, please)

eterna111
12th September 2002, 04:57
OK.

I'm so tired of movies (DivX, XviD and SVCD) that play back with a bad sync - meaning that the audio is either lagging behind or playing before the picture. Of course I can fix it in Nandub, but it takes ages and is boring.

What I want is a program, player or player-plugin for WinAmp (like VidAmp), that has the possibility to fix this ON THE FLY. I can envision it's just about having a slider that moves the audio-playback in relation to the picture, like this:

-500ms 0ms 500ms
--------------------------|----------------------------

The program/player/plugin must also have the possibility of looping one segment over and over. Then you could find a scene where you can find i.e. a close up of someone talking, and move the slider to find the best sync. Then when you've found it, it should be possible to save the movie with new settings, or play the movie with the new offset.

Is this possible? If so, pleeease make it as either a standalone program, a player like BSPlayer or a plugin for WinAmp. And email me if you want more ideas :D (eterna1@hotmail.com)

I would love to discuss this with developers, and would also love to betatest/help the project, because I can't really believe I'm the only one who has this annoyance going on?

Thanks,

Eterna

Emp3r0r
12th September 2002, 05:42
I don't believe this would be too terribly hard. There must be some good documentation that covers the best ways to programmatically allow this in a simple way. IMHO, directshow would be a burden on the development of such a player/filter to accomplish this. Maybe DirectX 9 will make it easier. I wanna get my hands on the managed directx9 library.

bergi
12th September 2002, 06:29
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=23101&perpage=20&highlight=delay&pagenumber=9

could be interesting

milan
12th September 2002, 09:52
Yes, about week or two ago I added this to ffdshow, because I had that problem too and the only solution for me was to boot to linux and play movie with mplayer, which is able to correct A/V sync. Now this is possible with ffdshow too and you can set video delay in milliseconds (both positive and negative). No looping for now, but when you will find exact settings, you can save them as a new preset.
In mentioned thread you will find links to new ffdshow compiles. If you will need help, just send me an email.

Nic
12th September 2002, 12:43
Wow milan, your adding everything to ffdshow :)

I made a player that does just that, but its very basic...but therefore its not too tricky, maybe you should give Blacksun a nudge if you want it in a proper player

Cheers,
-Nic

milan
12th September 2002, 12:56
Many of ffdshow features were added just because I needed them. Video delay is good example and newly introduced frame grabbing too (I needed to exactly compare outputs of some image filters).

Video delay is done by just modifying media sample start and end timestamps. Everything else is handled by directshow.
I don't know how players do this, but if they can process individual samples as they are passing through the graph, it shouldn't be difficult.

P.S.
Something about frame grabbing: you need recent ffvfw (it contains full libavcodec library and not just the decoding part) and because libavcodec is so exceptionaly fast you can watch movie and simultaneously store frames to jpegs.

eterna111
12th September 2002, 18:04
Originally posted by milan
Many of ffdshow features were added just because I needed them. Video delay is good example and newly introduced frame grabbing too (I needed to exactly compare outputs of some image filters).

Video delay is done by just modifying media sample start and end timestamps. Everything else is handled by directshow.
I don't know how players do this, but if they can process individual samples as they are passing through the graph, it shouldn't be difficult.

Hey. :)

I went to https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow, downloaded and installed the 2002-06-17 build, and I certainly get it working - but I don't understand how I'm supposed to USE it? And I don't see any "video-offset"-function there?

Some very basic newbie questions, if you indulge me:
- ffdshow isn't a player, but a codec decoder, right? So if I use a player like mplayer2 I can rightclick and do the properties/options?
- The build that I downloaded, is that the build you're talking about where you've added video delay, milan? If not, where do I download it?
- Is it possible to integrate this into a player?

Thanks,

Eterna

Belgabor
13th September 2002, 02:24
Originally posted by eterna111

- ffdshow isn't a player, but a codec decoder, right? So if I use a player like mplayer2 I can rightclick and do the properties/options?

Yes

- The build that I downloaded, is that the build you're talking about where you've added video delay, milan? If not, where do I download it?

No. Look in the XViD Forum.

- Is it possible to integrate this into a player?

Yes, if milan adds (has added?) the right interfaces to the filter it's no problem.

Cheers,
Belgabor

milan
13th September 2002, 07:04
ffdshow version at sourceforge is quite old. Newer builds prepared by athos can be downloaded from http://ffdshow.sekxx.org/. However some features might not work correctly, because these are just compiled CVS snapshots. Video delay is at misc. page in config dialog.

ffdshow can be configured through IffDecoder interface. Almost every option can be changed. In fact configuration dialog uses only this interface to comunicate with other parts of ffdshow.

TheUnforgiven
13th September 2002, 16:04
could someone make new binaries for ffvfw too

eterna111
15th September 2002, 03:36
Thanks! I'll try it out more, but it seems like it works. I'll post some experiences later :)