PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the best DVD-R burner

br408408
11th September 2002, 01:04
Hi,
I have just received some unexpected money, so I am looking to buy a DVD-R burner. I have been making SVCD's for 3 years now, so I am not new to this, but i have not had the money for a DVD burner, (plus the cost of blank DVD-R's have just come down to a reasonable level) so I am not up to date on them. Any input on a burner would be appreciated. I have looked it this forum and saw much info on blank media, but not much on burners. Sorry if I have over looked anything.
Thanks for any imput you can give, Bill

thxtof
11th September 2002, 01:43
Pioneer A104 or A04. That's simply the best.

Taxidermista
11th September 2002, 03:25
Wait for the Sony DRU-500A. It could be the burner of the year. :)

alexnoe
11th September 2002, 17:45
I'd not say "could"...i'm pretty sure it will be.

Thwiipp
11th September 2002, 18:39
Does anyone know th eactual release date of the Sony DRU-500A, i gonna be getting a burner soon, i know it comes out in Oct. but early or late, will there be an OEM version to buy cause 350 is still to much, i can get the pioneer one for 250.

thxtof
11th September 2002, 18:52
Well the Sony looks pretty good, but it's going to be the 1st generation of x4 burner... We don't know how reliable this burner is going to be.

On the other side the Pioneer 104 is at it's 4th generation, extremely reliable and compatible with setop DVD players. Plus its price is unbeatable at 250$.

Also right now where can you buy x4 media ? It's going to be more expensive anyway and a nightmare to find a reliable media.

+R/+RW ? Well 99% of the setop players can only read back -R/-RW, so is it really worth it to pay the extra $ to get the double compatibility ? I guess it depends on the use of your burner. To back-up movies or make your own video the +R/+RW format does not really bring anything.

I would wait at least 6 months to get the sony... At this time I'm sure things will be very different from now.

jesoonster
11th September 2002, 19:12
well said thxtof. Reliability of Sony is a key issue (since it's a 1st gen drive). On top of that...don't know if many find this to be an issue, but I'm have problems affording a 2X media....4X is out of the question for a while.

alexnoe
11th September 2002, 19:26
Why are people so keen on 4x?

Nobody seems to be interested in the ability to use both dvd- and dvd+...

BTW what's the problem with the price of 2x media? Verbatims are 4,30 each here, and in US, you get other 2x media at $2...

11th September 2002, 19:43
@thxtof

>+R/+RW ? Well 99% of the setop players can only read back -R/-RW

Please cite your source for this claim. Thank you.

alexnoe
11th September 2002, 20:02
I'd be interested too in this...99% is somehow far too much.

thxtof
11th September 2002, 21:26
Of course I was not talking about all the players on the market since the DVD format is available.

But if today you go to any place selling setop players and try to play a Verbatim or TDK DVD-R, pretty much any player will read it.

For DVD+R/+RW that's another story... only a few setops support this format, mostly DVD recorders.

alexnoe
11th September 2002, 21:48
I know someone who has a player which doesn't play Verbatim DVD-R, but this player doesn't read any burned DVD...

DVD+R should run without special support, just as DVD-R. Only DVD+RW needs either some "tolerance" or special support.

A settop player which "supports" DVD-R and DVD-RW would read crap discs! If a player can only read Verbatim and TDK, then you can be pretty sure that it doesn't "support" DVD-R(W).

thxtof
11th September 2002, 22:06
Ok here are some more accurate info/stats on DVD-R and DVD+R formats:
http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvd.htm :)

I think if a player can read TDK and verbatim DVD-R, and other branded good quality media, that means it is DVD-R compatible.

I have an Apex which is supposed to be DVD-R compliant, well it is very picky on the DVD-R he can read, in my case only the Ritek 03, TDK 02 and some DVD-RW will work.

It would not read any cheap/crap media. But same applies for my PC DVD player (liteon). It can only read back good medias...
It does not mean that it does not support DVD-R/-RW.

alexnoe
11th September 2002, 22:10
It would not read any cheap/crap media. But same applies for PC DVD player (liteon). It can only read back good medias... That does not mean it is not DVD-R compliant.

It does.
Good DVD-R(W) media is read even by most drives that don't know that such media exists at all. There is no support necessary to read good DVD- media. Really not.

If it can't read dvd- crap media, then it shouldn't claim being dvd-r(w) compliant. Of course, it is always a bad idea to use crap media...I just made the 2nd coaster on my own. Again TraxData "1x-2x media" at 1x speed...2 out of 14 have been bad burns (not recognised even by the burner itself!) so far. Glad to have some Verbatims too.

thxtof
11th September 2002, 22:18
It does.
Good DVD-R(W) media is read even by most drives that don't know that such media exists at all. There is no support necessary to read good DVD- media. Really not.

If that's the case how can you explain that most settop players older than 2 years can not read DVD-R/RW ?

Also for DVD+R a friend of mine just got an expensive Denon player. It reads perfectly DVD-R, but it needs to have a bios upgrade to be able to play DVD+R/+RW.

If it can't read dvd- crap media, then it shouldn't claim being dvd-r(w) compliant. Of course, it is always a bad idea to use crap media... [/B]

I disagree, because a crap media, at least the one I tried so far, will not even play back (entirely) in my burner ! So how could it work properly in a setop player ??
Of course it will play/copy some of the content of the DVD-R, but I don't call that "play" ;)

alexnoe
11th September 2002, 22:31
If that's the case how can you explain that most settop players older than 2 years can not read DVD-R/RW ?

They reject it for an unknown media descriptor value without even trying to read it. This is a bug, not a missing feature.

And what is "most"? Did you test yourself? Don't trust "cheese papers" (we call them in german) as PC-Welt or the such. They like to run a crap disc or a nero written disc on players and then conclude "can't read it", without having the idea that Nero might have messed up the disc (and the first versions to support DVD burning did mess up video dvd files!)

I disagree, because a crap media, at least the one I tried so far, will not even play back (entirely) in my burner !

OK, that's then beyond that what a "dvd-r(w) compliant" device must read...I speak of "normal" crap discs which the burner itself and better dvd-roms, such as toshibas, can read.

thxtof
11th September 2002, 22:54
I must have been very unlucky then, because ALL the crap/cheap unbranded media I tried so far (VIVASTAR, MERITLINE, ESBUY, CD_RECORDABLE) would give in 90% of the case errors when trying to read it back in the burner or player using DVDDECRIPTER for instance.

I don't think that I'm the only one in that case, checkout the thread about DVD-R compatibility http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22974 ;)

If a crap media can play everywhere, in that case I would not call it crap media anyway :D

For settop players DVD-R compatibility, who cares if the player can understand a flag on the disk or not. If your settop player, which is 2 years old can not play a DVD-R, for me that means it's not DVD-R compliant, right ? And you will end up like me buying a new settop player.

For info, and may be I have been very unlucky too, I tried to play my DVD-R on my old Toshiba 3109, and on my friend settop player (old sony if I remember correctly), both were more than 2 years old and both could not play it.

Check the following thread for more settop player compatibility with DVD-Rs:
http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

For DVD+R this will give you a good idea of the compatibility with existing players:
http://www.dvdplusrw.org/resources/compatibilitylist_dvdvideo.html

alexnoe
11th September 2002, 23:03
If your settop player, which is 2 years old can not play a DVD-R, for me that means it's not DVD-R compliant, right ?

Of course. I never said something else. I only said that players even should replay good DVD-R if they were not designed to do that. And that you therefore cannot conclude "plays good dvd-r" => "is dvd-r compliant"

(please be careful: ((A -> B) -> (~B -> ~A)) is a wrong statement...i somehow think that you don't know that...)

thxtof
12th September 2002, 02:00
I hear you... we are saying about the same thing, but differently ;)

Anyway to go back to the main subject of this thread:

Today:
1) DVD-R is more compatible with settop players than DVD+R
2) Pioneer DVD-R 104 or 04 is the cheapest and most reliable burner.

(1+2) = (buy a Pioneer DVD-R104)
I think we all agree with that :)

alexnoe
12th September 2002, 08:58
If money is an issue: yes.

But I personnaly would go straight forward to the Sony If I hadn't bought a DVR-A03 last December.

thxtof
12th September 2002, 16:22
Well even if money if not an issue I would wait though...
No labs ever did any test on the Sony burner yet.

It would be fool to assume that this 1st generation drive will perform as it's supposed to do without waiting a couple of months to get reviews and feedbacks.

I apply the same rule for everything I buy.

My 2 cents ;)

sarahjh69
12th September 2002, 17:46
strange but true

talking about crap media.......
I burnt many bulkcrap coasters that couldn't be read back
in the burner that made them!!!!!!!!!!

rather than chuck em in the bin, i gave them to a pal with
a sony dvd player & most played perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beat that.
(I guess the sony player doesn't bother checking for errors)

ErMaC
17th September 2002, 18:34
Is no one even going to mention the fact that the Sony can actually burn CD-Rs and CD-RWs at a reasonable speed? That to me is a big draw.

I'm looking to replace my current CD burner (12x plextor SCSI) and also having a DVDBurner, but the next computer I plan to buy is one of those SS51G's from shuttle that only have 1 5.25" drive bay, thus I only want 1 optical drive in there that will do everything. The new Sony beats the pants off the Pioneers in terms of CD recording, and while I may not be using the DVD-/+RW capabilities too much, I think the option of doing both -R and +R is a handy thing to have in case things change in the future.

I will wait for reviews of the 500A to come out before buying it, obviously, but I don't want to be stuck back at 8x CD-R burning with the volume of CDs that I burn.

Has anyone heard anything about Pioneer's next generation of drives, and if it will burn CD-Rs faster than I could 4 years ago?

alexnoe
17th September 2002, 19:02
Only one drive for everything? No idea if that will be possible. I don't see any sense it this either.

ErMaC
17th September 2002, 19:12
What do you mean it won't be possible?

The Specs for the drive are already listed:

DVD-R: 4X
DVD-RW: 2X
DVD+R: 2.4X
DVD+RW: 2.4X
CD-R: 24X
CD-RW: 10X

It's one drive that can do everything. The question will be whether it does everything right.

alexnoe
17th September 2002, 19:34
It's one drive that can do everything.

What about
reading of CDs with bad TOC
reading of bad 99min discs
overburning of cds
writing of sectors which can easily lead to a high DSV ("weak sectors")
RAW+96 reading
RAW-DAO-96 writing
fast error skip

These are not doom9-related things, but these are things a writer must be capable of if it is supposed to be a real all-in-one-drive.

We won't know until there are properly done reviews.