PDA

View Full Version : Encoding into wmv 9 in win98se

Psymaster
7th September 2002, 14:52
Does anyone know a way to encode into windows media 9 without using flaskmpeg and without having to install 2k or xp?

Easy123
7th September 2002, 15:39
Hello...

You can use the DVD2AVI -> VFAPI way...

First you create a .d2v file from your .vob Files. You start VFAPI and load the .d2v and then you let the Programm create a "Pseudo AVI", which you can then feed into Windows Media Encoder. But that way is slow but works...

CU
Easy123

Psymaster
7th September 2002, 16:21
Originally posted by Easy123
Hello...

You can use the DVD2AVI -> VFAPI way...

First you create a .d2v file from your .vob Files. You start VFAPI and load the .d2v and then you let the Programm create a "Pseudo AVI", which you can then feed into Windows Media Encoder. But that way is slow but works...

CU
Easy123

thx for the reply.

but i don't need a way to encode from dvd. one to encode from avi (to make some tests from my divx movies, as i don't have any dvd's now).
And windows media encoder (the new one) won't install on win98se.

Easy123
7th September 2002, 17:17
Oh, I didnīt knew that the new WM Encoder doesnīt install under Win98SE...

CU
Easy123

Psymaster
7th September 2002, 21:50
Originally posted by Easy123
Oh, I didnīt knew that the new WM Encoder doesnīt install under Win98SE...

CU
Easy123

That's the sad truth.

midiguy
8th September 2002, 06:44
not sure about your win 98 SE problem, but I can tell you right now that it isn't a good test to encode already compressed clips.. it will give you very poor results, and isn't a fair test. Use a DVD so you can compare apples with apples.

Psymaster
8th September 2002, 13:49
Originally posted by midiguy
not sure about your win 98 SE problem, but I can tell you right now that it isn't a good test to encode already compressed clips.. it will give you very poor results, and isn't a fair test. Use a DVD so you can compare apples with apples.

that's obvious.

so, m$ wants to get us all to change our os to xp, right?

Stebet
8th September 2002, 15:50
@psymaster
Actually yes :) Microsoft does want you to upgrade to either Win2K or WinXP. Win9x/Me as well as good old NT 4.0 are based on grossly outdated technology and there is no reason for them to keep on suuporting them so they will soon stop supporting WinNT 4.0 and Win9x/Me. Sad but true.

XP Home edition upgrade aint too expensive and a Win2k Pro upgrade shouldn't be too expensive either. I can't see a single reason to stick with Win9x except if you are playing very old games or have a very old computer, and a virtual pc emulator like VMWare or VirtualPC is good enough for the games factor (granted you have the money to buy these products).

Psymaster
8th September 2002, 16:47
I can't see a single reason to stick with Win9x

Actually I can't see a single reason why to upgrade, apart from this. And I can still encode dvd's using flaskmpeg. The truth is that I like old dos-based games quite a bit and I don't know if they would work on xp.

Besides, some friends I know that use xp have gotten more problems than they solved.

Stebet
8th September 2002, 17:46
@Psymaster
I agree with you to a certain point. I hate the fact that i can't play some of my ald favourite DOS games (like the Ultima Underworld series) without going through massive hassles.

Although i dont quite see why you can't see another reason to upgrade. New and upcoming technologies will most likely not get any support on Win9x and the fact that MS will stop supporting it means that a lot of programs will cease to function on these old platforms. That alone is propably MY biggest motivation to upgrade, but i guess people all have their own personal preferences so i'm not going to get into any kind of OS fight :)

Psymaster
8th September 2002, 20:10
New and upcoming technologies will most likely not get any support on Win9x

If that ever happens, I'll consider an upgrade, although I think that it's gonna take quite some time, since about 80% uses 98...

Anyway, does anybody know of a way to frameserve or to open an avi with flaskmpeg?

vinouz
8th September 2002, 22:49
to stebet :

the problem in this fact is that users are forced to change to a new os. And if for you it seems cheap to upgrade, for others it may not. And mostly it's like if we asked people to upgrade their cars in order to go to recently rebuilt roads. Unless these roads become airways, that has no point (I can't see any reason why a codec couldn't work on W98).

So I don't want to be forced to change my OS. And if I didn't change to W98 until now if certainly have my reason.
1st i like it's simplicity over W2K : not everybody needs a multiuser OS and the administration time it costs.
2nd it's the fact it's not crippled, which is not XP's case. And Yes, I still often use old drivers. I got an ESS1868 sound card which I'm very satisfied of and which drivers are old. WTF do I need new, the old ones work very well. But the fact is that they certainly won't install on XP (and yes I don't like MS's own drivers for ESS1868, which don't permit me to have full duplex sound, prohibiting me to conference).

Is that enough of a reason not to change ?
Remember what makes the PC's architecture so damn tortuous : beckward compatibility.
It's completely stupid having software that don't offer backward compatibility (and could) when you're on a system which loses more than half (if not 90%) of it's silicon potential to cope with a hacked old '79 design.

It's not an OS flame war I need. I just want to be able to keep mine, when I want, unless there is an unability-to-do-with reason to change.

NeVeRLiFt
8th September 2002, 23:20
Pretty lame how none can help you, but they can run there mouth on what OS you should run :rolleyes:

You should try a triple a boot of WinXP, Win98SE and Lycoris ;)
That way all bases are covered.

Sorry I cant help you with your problem.
Give it a few days and you should see guides popping up :D

PS: Lycoris = the best Linux distro out for the avg desktop user wanting to try Linux.

http://www.modemnet.net/articles/reviews/08242002-001.php

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2002/07/18/licoris.html

take the tour....
http://www.lycoris.com/products/desktoplx/desktop/

Stebet
8th September 2002, 23:24
@vinouz
Like i said, i agree with most of the reasons not to upgrade, but as i also said, people have personal preferences and reasons not to upgrade, and i respect that. I certainly wouldn't have been able to upgrade from Win98 to Win2k and from there to WinXP if my university didn't have a Campus Agreement (i got Win2k and WinXP damn near for free).

But the fact is i think, that the main reason for MS not to bother programming compatibility for Win9x in WMEncoder is because most often the WMEncoder is used for streaming and since Win9x ain't a server type OS there is no reason for them to support Win9x, especially since Win9x will have it's support cut off soon. I just don't see it as an issue to complain about, although a lot of people will most likely disagree with me there.

I also agree with you that most of MS's drivers suck big time, and most often their WHQL certification takes so long that drivers have made a big leap before the old ones are released. They really need to start trusting hardware manufacturers to make proper drivers (maybe not all of them but most like NVIDIA make good drivers).

@Neverlift
Heh.. i can run my mouth about OS'es all day long, maybe sometimes too much and i apologize for that in advance ;). Believe me i'd help the guy if i could but i can't since i don't have Win98 anymore (tossed it in the bin a long time ago) and i just have no real longing to try it again. It gave me too many headaches :)

trbarry
9th September 2002, 03:17
Sometimes an OS fits like a comfortable old hat (glove, whatever, lost my metaphore). I'm comfortable with 5 machines networked at home in Win/Me.

And I know from experiance that when I start to upgrade one of them there is often a falling domino effect where I start having to debug and replace other hardware, software, and license components. That's a hassle.

So except for a quick temp test of something it is not something I do frivolously. Since I've got my stuff (except WME9) all working happily with Win/Me for the moment I'll wait for a bigger incentive before changing.

- Tom

Kyo
9th September 2002, 04:52
I read somewhere* that that you can download the beta for 9x&ME in the page

*Searching the link....

Found but I think that is only the player(/me stupid)
http://download.microsoft.com/download/winmediaplayer/WMPbeta/9/W982KMe/EN-US/mpsetup.exe

Psymaster
9th September 2002, 09:09
So except for a quick temp test of something it is not something I do frivolously. Since I've got my stuff (except WME9) all working happily with Win/Me for the moment I'll wait for a bigger incentive before changing.

That's exactly what I think as well.

DaddyC
9th September 2002, 18:29
i am using the old windows media encoder 7 with the new codec, windows media palyer 9 beta installs the codec, from now on you can use it with the old WME.

vinouz
9th September 2002, 18:54
@NeverLift : Yes, I've already got my Slackware/Win98. The third OS I use is this old GEM on my ST emulator ;).
But I may give Lycoris a try.

@Stebet : Or MS should let users the choice to disable all their "trusty" limitations in case they want to do what they please.

@Kyo : the download of "mpsetup" is for the player only. It doesn't install in Win98 (not SE) unless you extract the package in a folder and run the install. And anyways, it's buggy, I can't read my Divx and mpegs with wmp9 now, and have to find again this old wmp6.4 to reinstall it, as when I uninstall wmp9 it brings me back to a bastard pre6.4 media player (mplayer not mplayer2...). Anyways, thanks

and @trbarry : I still feel comfortable with my old dos in flat mode ;p. and Mag!X on atari falcon 030 fits me like a hat. But, yes, I had to change..... (bye bye my old DSP56001 routs to play mpeg audio layer 2 while calculating under POV :) - played 32khz/16bit/stereo under interruptions with the DSP@32Mhz. Loved it.)

BTW, a question for all you : why choose WinXP instead of Win2K. I was more going for Win2K, as the core seems mostly the same, while it is not crippled. (I don't care about skinnability).

and finally thanks DaddyC, but are you sure it's not simply the old wma8 you get (as the format seems to be the same, just the encoder to use it better).

Vinouz

Psymaster
9th September 2002, 20:15
Originally posted by DaddyC
i am using the old windows media encoder 7 with the new codec, windows media palyer 9 beta installs the codec, from now on you can use it with the old WME.

Ok, I'll give it a try. Thx man.:)

DaddyC
12th September 2002, 15:29
Originally posted by vinouz

and finally thanks DaddyC, but are you sure it's not simply the old wma8 you get (as the format seems to be the same, just the encoder to use it better).

Vinouz [/B]

yes i am pretty sure. but you have to create your own profile for that. simple avi to wmv encoding is working, the used codec for decompression is wmv9. wmv8 and 7 are still usable, only the old wma8 is gone and replaced by the new wma9, but it seems that the losless wma codec is missing.

vinouz
13th September 2002, 00:05
I tried it. But, is there a way to get 2 pass encoding (wmv9 must surely use 2 pass encoding, no ?) with this wmv7 encoder ?