PDA

View Full Version : noise-filtering a la smart-deinterlayer usefull for mpeg4-codecs as well?

((( atom )))
5th September 2002, 17:32
..just had an idea that came to my mind when i (a second ago) watched a movie i encoded using a little noise-filter before resizing. what really annoys me about divx/mpeg4 in general are the "moving" faces. i wonder if it comes from little noise over them.. in very unnoisy movies i don't see that effect, but maybe this is for other reasons (i could imaging several..).

well, however:
smart-deinterlacer has a feature that puts a noise-filter before the actual process of searching motion, but only for that task, leaving the image itself untouched in further processing. wouldn't that make sense for the motion-search of divx as well?
as far as i understand it wouldn't change anything in the actual bitrate-distribution but (here my knowledge ends, starting to guess..) arn't vectors created in that stage, that tell the codec "here is motion, direction xy, etc..)? if now these vectors were more precisely tied to "actual" motion (not tied to noise anymore), couldn't that increase the "image-stability" by better differing between noise-motion and the actual image-motion?

i hope ;)

/jc