PDA

View Full Version : Can i copy dvds with winME?

yomper
31st August 2002, 09:45
Hi peeps
This is my first post i think, i ahvent been here for a while and i was wondering if i can copy dvds using winME. i wtd to use spruce but as fat 32 has a 4 gig file limit i don't think i would be able too,
Is there a way around this. I have tried installing win2k but i have so many driver probs its hardly worth it. my dvd rw will be here monday so i have until then to sort it out.
I bought my Pc from time computers and it has winME on a hidden partition although this is a little OT how do i delete this so i can install XP on a clean install so i can use NTFS which is what i need to go over a 4 gig limit.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Yomper

yomper
31st August 2002, 09:48
I think i may have posted this in the wrong part, sorry :stupid:

Fox Mulder
31st August 2002, 10:07
Each .VOB in a DVD is like 1GB, so you can still copy a DVD under Win9X.

yomper
31st August 2002, 10:19
Cheerz for the reply m8 but can i write the dvd to an image so i can copy it again and again or do i have to copy on the fly?
I was going to use spruce or something as i have that already and i'm sure people said i need to use NTFS file sys and not fat32.
I will give it a go anyway as theres no harm in trying.
Cheerz
Yomper

Doom9
31st August 2002, 10:40
I will give it a go anyway as theres no harm in trying That's the spirit we appreciate around here :D Making an image using DVD Decrypter isn't a problem, it can split up the files, create an image of an authored DVD is quite another thing, there your DVD project has to be below 4GB or it won't work in WinME. Since you mentioned SpruceUp I can only assume that you're going to re-author and have SpruceUp write an image which you're going to burn with a DVD burning program later on. In this case the 4GB limit is an unbreakable border and you can't create any projects larger than 4GB. Considering the general instability of WinME I can only suggest that you upgrade to W2K or XP, there you don't have any size and almost no stability problems if the system is properly set up.

yomper
31st August 2002, 11:22
Thanks doom
I have just managed to get some of the drivers i needed to use XP so i have now just finished installing XP *Phew* succesfully with no probs, except for my ext modem which i had to change to an internal one.
Thanks for all the help people but it looks like i can now use NTFS.
Cheerz
Yomper