PDA

View Full Version : Keeping original subtitle colors

daxab
24th August 2002, 07:14
I've been using SubRip, and following the guide for using SubRip seems to discard the original color info. I convert the SubRip output to be imported into Scenarist.

In the past, I've used VobSub, which nicely keeps the original color info.

Question: Can I use VobSub with Scenarist?

Or: Is there some other ripping method that keeps the original color and imports them into Scenarist?

gabest
24th August 2002, 11:21
After ripping with vobsub, you can export idx/sub into scenarist format using subresync.

daxab
25th August 2002, 04:34
Thank you gabest, I'll try that now.

Why is SubRip recommended in the official Doom9 guide, rather than VobSub/SubResync? Are there synchronization issues with VobSub?

daxab
25th August 2002, 07:48
VobSub/SubResync => Scenarist seems to work well. It seems to make a real effort to retain the original subtitle colors.

On the other hand, in SubRip, when it outputs in either I-Author or Scenarist format, the original colors are lost. For example, when the subtitles switch from one color to another, there is no notation in the .txt (I-Author) or .sst (Scenarist) files that SubRip creates. In the VobSub .sst file (created by SubResync) the color notation is there when there is a color switch.

However, it doesn't set the Scenarist palette automatically. The .sst file says things like this:

Color (9 7 4 3)

But it doesn't say, anywhere, what entries 9, 7, 4, and 3 should be.

I had to go in and fix the palette manually using values I read in the .idx file. And it wasn't clear (to me at least) how to do this automatically.

In any case, I'm glad to have found a solution that seems to work.

I'm still wondering why SubRip is the recommended tool (by the Doom9 guide) rather than VobSub...

gabest
25th August 2002, 16:48
If I remember correctly, there has to be an exported .spf file for the palette, which you can load in scenarist.