PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: do NOT using labels w/ 300+ dvd changer

Chumboy
17th August 2002, 23:10
Bummer.

I have a Sony 300+1 dvd changer.
So far i've made about 80 backups with labels.
i'd download the movie poster, bring it into SureThing CD Labeler and make a label for my dvd.

it seems that after 80 or so labeled dvd's, the 300+ changer has problems "parting" the dvd's to eject the one that is playing. also, the thickness of the dvd and label together make it hard for the dvd player "arm" to grab the dvd and bring it into the play area.

if i play a dvd with a label on it and the dvd before it and after it also have labels, the changer cannot eject the dvd from the central playing area. it seems not to be able to "part" the other 2 discs so it can eject the one its playing.

this does not happen when i play a dvd without a label and the ones before it and after it do not have labels either.

this only started happening once i got to the 80 disc mark.

Summary: labels make the dvd too thick for 300+ changers to properly injest and eject.

HomerJ
17th August 2002, 23:33
Chumboy,

Sorry to read of your problem with labels.

However, labels have been known to cause problems for some considerable time, for several reasons, many of them to do with the reading of discs, pealing off with excess exposure of heat etc.....

I'm sure you are fully aware of all the current issues with disc media, and makers of discs.

Bottom line is.

DO NOT PUT LABELS ON DVD DISCS.

They may look pretty, but don't do a damn thing for playability

HomerJ

Sephan
18th August 2002, 01:54
I havent had any problems with labels on my CD's so far.. Using Stomper products.. and only playing them singly in a standalone player.

Are the issues appearing down the road after alot of use or just random?

padre
18th August 2002, 02:56
Well, they actually say the same thing about CDR discs (Don't put labels). I've been putting thin semi-clear labels on my DVD's an not had a problem yet. Of course knowing that I have applied labels, I won't by a DVD player that has to 'grip' the top for anything (like the 300+ dvd player does).

Chumboy
18th August 2002, 14:15
Homer,

yes, i've read all the post warnings here.

but, as others have posted in this thread, i "wasn't having any problems".

until now.