PDA

View Full Version : Why frameserve to CCE from Premiere?

nhope
30th July 2002, 18:11
Can anyone please explain to me why many people seem to frameserve to CCE from Premiere, instead of just using the Premiere plug-in?

Nick

auenf
31st July 2002, 10:42
compare the options provided in the plugin to the options provided in the standalone.

Enf...

nhope
31st July 2002, 22:16
Ok thanks for that. Now I understand. My underwater footage looks fine without using the extra advanced features that the standalone provides, however I was told elsewhere that the standalone may also be faster. Speed is very important to me as I am making and selling 3 new DVD movies a week. I tried to test this by exporting a DV-avi from Premiere using the Microsoft DV codec, but CCE 2.62 SP is telling me "couldn't find the appropriate codec for 'dsvd'". Any ideas?

Nick

auenf
1st August 2002, 14:16
CCE standalone will encode from a DirectShow avi (export from premiere), but it seems to only like files that use vfw codecs.

what i usually do is export a DV-AVI from premiere, then change the fourcc to CDVC, which is the canopus DV codec which is a free download from their site.

Enf...

nhope
1st August 2002, 15:58
Thanks again enf.

Please excuse my newbieness, but could you please tell me how I can change the fourcc? I just need to change the fourcc, and not convert the whole file, right? (there is a utility on Canopus' site to convert the whole file).

Also, what is a "vfw" codec? Would I be better to encode with one of those in the first place, rather than just the Microsoft DV codec? Is the Main Concept codec vfw?

Nick

Pyre8
1st August 2002, 18:53
You can use a fourcc changer, look in this site's software downloads list or go to vcdhelp.com - I think they have it there. Alternatively, you can use the Main Concept DV codec like I did so you don't have to bother changing the fourcc code 3 times week (or more):)

nhope
2nd August 2002, 00:25
I'll put Main Concept on the back burner for now, as I'm trying to keep everything Microsoft DV if I can (having previously been plagued by a mixture of Microsoft DV and Sony DV).

I downloaded a free utility from the Canopus website that is supposed to convert Microsoft DV AVI files to Canopus DV AVI files (without loss), however it doesn't work ("file could not be converted properly"). So I installed the Canopus DV playback-only codec and the AviC fourcc changer, and lo and behold after writing "CDVC" in both the fields presented by AviC, the CCE standalone would encode my file. However it won't play in WinDVD, although it will in Windows Media Player. In any case the total time for my test project to be written as a DV-AVI out of Premiere (3 mins) plus encoded by the CCE standalone (2mins 25secs) is longer than it takes the plug-in to do the whole job (4mins 43secs). So I'm going to stick with that.

cheers

auenf
2nd August 2002, 04:34
Originally posted by nhope
Thanks again enf.

Please excuse my newbieness, but could you please tell me how I can change the fourcc? I just need to change the fourcc, and not convert the whole file, right? (there is a utility on Canopus' site to convert the whole file).

Also, what is a "vfw" codec? Would I be better to encode with one of those in the first place, rather than just the Microsoft DV codec? Is the Main Concept codec vfw?

Nick

there is a very little AVI FourCC changer on the inmatrix site

the free Canopus DV Codec is playback only, which is why i export the the perfectly fine MS DV (dvsd) codec and change the fourcc.

vfw == video for windows

there are three types of .avi
avi (i think), vfw and directshow

the original avi has a file limit of 1gb, vfw has a file limit of 2gb, dshow has a file limit == the filesystem limit.

you can use vfw codecs in dshow avi files, but not the other way around (i think)

in Premiere, the DV AVI is directshow, not sure about normal AVI, altho it only lists vfw codecs (on this machine im on currently).

Enf...

nhope
2nd August 2002, 12:18
Thanks again Enf,

Actually even though they were made here in Thailand, both my TVís are multi-system in that they can handle NTSC playback as well as PAL. I donít think my stripiness was caused by that. I think it was just caused by my resizing in Premiere.

I have now got a very good result using just TMPGenc to do the PAL -> NTSC and the MPEG-2 :)

I only wanted to use CCE for my NTSC/MPEG-2 encoding because of the speed. Speed is very important to me because I am diving on alternate days, and the other days are spent making stuff for my customers in every format imaginable: JPEG albums, DivX clips, VHS cassettes, VCDís (PAL and NTSC),etc. and now DVDís (PAL and NTSC). So I donít really have time to sit around waiting for 5-hour encodes. However encoding my PAL AVI into an NTSC AVI from TMPGenc is taking nearly as long as it takes TMPGenc to encode the MPEG-2 (and for some reason plays back in super-slow-motion in WMP), so I guess Iíll let TMPGenc take care of the whole job and just accept the lengthy wait.

Cheers,

Nick