PDA

View Full Version : quality parameter

erwan
27th July 2002, 20:07
i re encoded star wars using CCE, using derrow's guide settings.
One pass VBR was fast and result is just perfect.

my file is 2.0 giga byte.

i dont want to put more than one movie and dvd-r.

so i was wondering, what parameter in CCE should i tweak so that i alter less my movie and so get a bigger file.

i know my question might sound wierd for we all usually want to make file as small as possible but i just want to take advantage of my whole 4.7 giga byte!

thx,
erwan

Arky
29th July 2002, 06:02
Simple - *KEEPING* the VAF file which you created on your previous VBR pass, simply increase the GLOBAL bitrate, so that everything remains relative to the VAF file, but quality increases all over as well. Cinemacraft will give you a fairly accurate estimate of predicted file size. Don't forget to allow for your audio file size...

Arky ;o)

erwan
29th July 2002, 09:14
oki so all remains relative to the vaf.
that's handful.

but you then have to spend a couple hours (4h30 on my p1 1ghz) for the 1st pass + vaf file generation,
then you have to spend again a couple hours for 3 passes?
will it take that long again?

erwan

Dreassica
29th July 2002, 22:16
Originally posted by erwan
that's handful.

but you then have to spend a couple hours (4h30 on my p1 1ghz) for the 1st pass + vaf file generation,

erwan

you bet!1 But shouldn't it be p3, because i haven't seen a p1 at 1ghz yet!!

Arky
30th July 2002, 00:49
Originally posted by erwan
that's handful.

erwan

Well, you said that you were already happy with your file quality, so I would argue that if that is the case, and you only want to add bitrate to improve it further, then you can be confident that only one extra pass will be necessary, rather than 3. Obviously, 3 passes would help matters if you were unsatisfied with the result of the first pass.

Arky ;o)

p3distxii
30th July 2002, 17:31
I'm having the same problem. Here's the thing. After the FIRST FILE IS MADE, the quality has already been lowered, so increasing the file size after that does nothing to improve the quality. I want to raise the quality of the ORIGINAL file that CCE outputs. How is this done? I'm new to CCE. I'm going to try raising the Quantization factor, but if anyone has the answer, please post and save me some time.

erwan
30th July 2002, 17:49
you get a mpv file after first pass whose quality you dont like?
go for a 3 pass vbr now, playing around with the avg bitrate.
you will even see how big will you movie be in the advanced screen.
i think you dont need that 1st pass file anymore (movie.mpv).

but you should not be noticing such a decrease in quality. (i never did). did you follow derrow's guide?

erwan

p3distxii
30th July 2002, 18:01
Dude, I followed the guide to a T. I went from a movie (The Royal Tenanbaums) that is 6.45 gigs to an MPV that is 1.5 gigs. I've found that by lowering the quantization, I can raise the quality of the original MPV file and increase the output file size. I just need to get it right so that I don't make it too big. Strange that nobody else has had this problem. I'm currently transcoding The Royal Tenanbaums with a quantization factor of 10. I will post my results.

rect
30th July 2002, 22:58
i just did the royal tenenbaums the other day. basically i followed the guide on advanced CCE. i did the first pass Q 60, Min 0, Max 9800. after that was done i switched to multipass vbr and ended up do an average of 3700. per the guide, do the first pass to gather statistics only, it will create a .vaf file which you can use to manually tweak the quality to your liking.

so, rather than lowering the Q factor, simply switch to multipass vbr and set an average bitrate. hit the advanced button and you can see the predicted filesize.

the advanced CCE guide has it all in detail.