PDA

View Full Version : Cheap media + 2x burn = Choppy standalone playback ?

Tatjahna
17th July 2002, 23:33
Can anyone could tell me about that please?

I have problems with choppy playback, and well, my 2 playlists in my dvd don't even want to work on the standalone. Everything works fine on my pc dvd player.

Is it because it is burn in 2x with my generic dvd medias ?

Thanx for help!

TRILIGHT
17th July 2002, 23:42
I don't want this thread turning into an argument (as most of these types seem to) but speed is a common misconception. It has more to do with the drive itself and the media that is used. Some combinations work great and others don't. I've personally burned TONS of DVD's on Verbatim media with not one failure and all at 2X. They play on everything. It's almost surely the media that's causing the problem.

mikecito
17th July 2002, 23:44
It is sometimes cheap media, but I usually blame the player, because some players will play just about anything. My Pioneer 434 will play fine no matter what speed I burn at and no matter how cheap the media. However, it's cheaper to try good media than a new dvd player, so buy a good pioneer disc or something and burn at 1x, to see if you get any changes in playback. If not, I would just invest in a new player or burner (like trilight suggested), and sell the old one on Ebay.

Tatjahna
18th July 2002, 00:26
Thanx guys, but I was only wondering if that could be the cause. I live in Canada, and here, I cannot afford 10$ US ( 15$ CAN ) plus taxes for a DVD media.

So I have to work with generic medias 'till prices drop down a little.

My burner (Pionneer 104) is new, so I really hope he's not the problem. I will try with a verbatim to see any changes. Geez they are 15$ here it's ridiculous!

Thanx for your replies!

orionware
18th July 2002, 03:24
I just received my order of verbatims today..

Last week I reencoded Vanilla Sky. Burned it to a DVDPro disk, disc was choppy and eventually locked up later in the movie.

Burn another. Same problems other points in the movie.\

Burned ANOTHER. Same problems but again in different points.

Burned to a Verbatim I received today. PERFECTION. Just got done watching it straight thru and no probs..

The odd thing is I have burned 5 of the dvd pro discs and they worked fine. They three in a row, all bad...

I have a JVC-XV65GD settop and a Panasonic LD-311 burner.

O

Tatjahna
18th July 2002, 04:26
I finally did the same thing as you orionware! And it seems we have the same generic dvds (DVD-Pro or same kind, lilac and pink :( )

I have re-burn the dvd in 1x .. Still choppy, but in different places. My 2 opening and ending of Capitaine flam are at the end of the "movie" so they don't play at all.

Geeez, it's too much pay for a Verbatim dvd here, and there's only Princo dvds that are much affordable in there (7$ CAN). I dunno if they are good.

Thanx alot!

mikecito
18th July 2002, 06:34
Check this:

http://www.buy.com/retail/computers/product.asp?sku=10282965&loc=15837

These are the same media I use and they work on everything I've thrown them at. Just $5/dvd if you get free shipping. In canada, you might have to pay, I'm not sure. But I'm sure there's someone you know in the states that would order them and ship them to you at cost. buy.com is usually really good on shipping rates.

good luck!

Tatjahna
18th July 2002, 06:44
Hey thanx mikecito!

I already found some at hypermicro.com . A 25 pack of verbatims at 100$ ..

With the shipping and all stuff, I think they will cost me about 5.50$ US each. I hope the duties on them won't be too much! :mad:

Cya! :D

jmonfm
18th July 2002, 08:17
I have always gone on the premise that branded media x2, un-branded media x1. But as I am too mean to buy branded, I always burn at x1.
I have also found that my Pioneer RW tends to sort it out for itself. Put the speed on max & it finds it own speed (always x1!)
For cheap media try www.lordofthedeals.co.uk it is based in England but I'm sure they export Canada.
Happy ripping.

Pauly
18th July 2002, 12:53
Hi all,
I have two standalone DVD players, a very fussy Sony 7700 and a Pioneer 545 that will play anything without problems.
When I burn to original release Pioneer DVD-Rs the Sony plays OK but since Pioneer reduced the price of there media and changed the packaging all the burns I have done to these discs are unplayable on my Sony infact I have more success with unbranded media!

Has anyone else had problems with the new Pioneer media and does anyone know if there is any difference between old and new Pioneer discs.
TIA
Pauly

cap4000
18th July 2002, 15:38
I just tried the Princo 2x product. (had poor results with princo 1x)
Made 4 discs in the A03, 2 re-authored concert streams and 2 that were clones. Also made 1 vhs to dvd in the dvr 7000.
All played perfect in a pioneer DVR-7000 , apex 660 , apex 600 and of course the computers pioneer a03 and pioneer 116.
Note! the folders on disc have to be capitalize to play in 7000, smartripper ripped to lowercase(at least on my computer).
I bought the disc's for $5.99 canadian in ontario, sure beats 12.99 for the vertabatims.

a note on the lowercase folders. I checked out 20 dvd-r backup clones i made 1 at a time to see if they would play in my 7000. Only 3 would
(didn't really matter to me because i am not going to use it for playback).I then compared the one's that didn't to originals in the computer and the only difference was the non-capitalized video_ts & audio_ts folders. So i copied one to the hd and renamed folders and copied back to DVD-RW and it played fine.

slk001
18th July 2002, 19:09
The true DVD standard REQUIRES capitalization on ALL file and directory names. It also requires 8.3 format. But, as many of us know, some "players" are more standard than others.

There is someone on eBay selling 2X Princos for about $1.70 each. I've had bad luck with Princo's generic 1X DVD-R (totally crap), so I tend to steer clear of this brand (but, I might add that Princo's DVD-RW that I got for $1.90 were super). Also, there are TDK 2X disks for about $1.85 (in stacks of 100). I was wondering if anyone has given these sources a shot?

Eyes`Only
18th July 2002, 19:35
Anyone else besides me using meritline's 'white-topped' generics? I haven't had a single problem with them. Seems that for some reason making the top white really helped the laser to work better.. I've gone thru half my spindle now, watching every one all the way thru (my girlfriend helps make sure that gets done!) and even watched the extras of most of them just to make double-sure. And at $1.05 USD a piece (this month's special), they are at the top of my list!

orionware
18th July 2002, 20:05
Which type of burner and setup are you using?

I am tempted to grab some of the white tops for the price but the violet/purple ones have burned me already.

Orionware

Tatjahna
18th July 2002, 22:08
It's interesting... I'm interested to know where you have found them, Eyes'Only... I will give them a try

Eyes`Only
18th July 2002, 22:25
http://www.meritline.com/dvdprobul47d.html

orionware: I have the Pioneer A03, using WinXP P4 2ghz, with 1gig RAMBUS. My standalone is Apex 1500, my buddy with an Apex 5131 plays them too though, as well as my parents with some weird Shinsonic brand. Oh I use Nero 5.5.9.0 mostly to burn dvd (NOT using DVD VIDEO, I use DVD ROM UDF/ISO mode).

orionware
18th July 2002, 22:29
I'm using the Panasonic LD-311, JVC-XVS65GD settop and I always use PrimoDVD 2.0

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna order some this afternoon and see if they work. I'd sure love to be able to use something generic that I can get for about 1.00-1.25 each rather than the expensive stuff!

Thanks

O

Tatjahna
18th July 2002, 22:55
Meritline huh? They charged me an incredible amount for shipping to Canada!! :mad: I have cancelled my order after having see the price for shipping : 30$ US (45$ CAN.)! I will take a look at pricewatch.com for same kind of white top dvds :)

Thanx guys!

fletch
19th July 2002, 06:53
My last 25 pack of Meritline generics did not have the white tops - they have a metallic silver finish on top and the appear to be thicker as well.. They seem to work just the same so I can't complain... Still have the purple bottoms though

Tatjahna
20th July 2002, 00:00
Well guys, I just don't understand.

You all agree to say that TDKs are high branded DVD medias, right ?

As was the subject of that topic, I have problems with cheaps DVDs... I have downloaded the ADVDINFO tool to tell me what manufacturer is from my sh*t dvds, and here is the info I have got : VX...TDKG02 ... please, don't tell me it's what I think it is! :mad:

They really don't work in my settop dvd, at the middle till the end of the dvd.

If they are really from TDK, is it then possible that a "big" manufacturer would take the risk to do cheaps medias? Trilight, for example, reports TDK as be a great brand of DVD.

I have bought 'em from Ebay.ca, seller name : dvdrecorders ... does anyone has dvds from him? If so, do they work great in your DVD player?

easy2Bcheesy
20th July 2002, 08:41
I wouldn't get too obsessed with ADVDINFO. Just because it mentions TDK, there's no actual proof that TDK made them. Similarly, it may just be the case that if TDK made them, they made them for a cheaper price using inferior dye.

Verbatims and TDKs are the top of the tree, but I won't pay those prices either.

I'm currently using Datasafe Generation 3, and FWS version 2. These DVDs were designed seemingly for the games consoles 'back up' market and use a new generation dye that offers very very good compatibility with both games consoles (very fussy in their DVD playback) and settop devices too.

Although I haven't used them personally, the new 'White Label' brand developed by Princo is also supposedly *very* compatible.

All of these DVDs can be bought in the UK for 89p each!

I don't know about export to Canada, but the site I use is:

http://www.svpcommunications.com

Also note the forums they have a link to on their main page. Packed with video games pirates talking about the best DVDs for their warez, but extremely interesting for 'beta tests' on the new cheap DVDs. And lots of tests for DVD-Video too as well as games.