PDA

View Full Version : How to use Macrovision in Scenarist or CGMS?

Deepa DvD
30th June 2002, 02:16
Hello again!;)
How do I set macrovision protection in Scenarist? (APS) Do you have to give them the "big bucks" as you have to do with CSS? How about CGMS (Copy Guard Management system)?

As of reading (DVD Authoring & Production by: Ralph LaBarge), I see macrovision wants big bucks too.But I couldn't find more info. about CGMS.

Thanks!

Arky
30th June 2002, 07:42
If, by "CGMS", you are referring to the practice of writing DVD disks with non-standard sector size, then this is not big-bucks IN PRINCIPLE, however, DVD-R does not support non-standard sector writing, so unfortunately, you END UP paying big bucks after all, simply because only a professional replication company has the gear to create disks with these sector sizes.

Apologies if you are referring to something else - please educate me if you are! ;)

Arky ;o)

Deepa DvD
1st July 2002, 01:29
Yes, I'm talking about that!:)
I need it for Replication projects only.
Is there any special settings, I have to set in Scenarist, in order to have CGMS implented in my replicated dvd's?
Also ,do replication plants want "big bucks" for CGMS?
Thanks!:)

Arky
1st July 2002, 01:46
Sorry, i should have been clearer - when I said "Big Bucks", i didn't mean big bucks in the same sense as CSS. I simply meant it in the sense that you have to pay a pro to do it, rather than nice-and-cheaply on your own DVD-R drive & disks. I've never approached a professional replicator myself, since all my work is for personal use. However, I see no reason why they should charge you very much at all, extra, if anything, for formatting your disks in this manner - to the best of my knowledge, nobody anywhere in the world holds a patent on this. To be honest, I'm not 100% certain, but it may be possible to write an IMAGE with this sector-formatting to DLT tape, but don't quote me on that. I suggest you e-mail your nearest replicator and ask them - that way you can be 100% sure, and at the same time you can find out if there is any additional charge - it doesn't hurt to ask!

Let me know how you get on...

Arky ;o)

Deepa DvD
1st July 2002, 01:57
Thanks bro!:)
I'll let ya know.:)

EiGuscheMa
14th May 2005, 10:55
Hello!

Just to pick up that old thread:

From what I have read so far, using CGMS does not require non-standard-sector sizes like CSS.

Instead: the CGMS copy protection bits are written into the header-bytes of each DVD-sector.

However: all consumer DVD-burners seem to "kill" that CGMS information by creating their own sector-headers.

So my question is: does anybody know if there is a way to correctly "preserve" that CGMS-information?
Do you really need an "authoring" burner to do that job? ....:)

mpucoder
14th May 2005, 12:24
The extra data in the non-standard sector size is header data. But recordable DVD have embossed headers (stamped in, can not be changed). Also, from what little I know about CGMS, it requires CSS to work. The reason I know so little is CGMS doesn't work at all from what I've seen.

EiGuscheMa
14th May 2005, 16:22
thanks for your instant reply, mpucoder.

The scenarist allows to produce a DVD-image using 2048 sector-size and still offers using CGMS then, however..... :)

And the CMF-Spec by the dvdforum says, CGMS is possible using sector-size 2048, too:

http://www.dvdforum.org/DVD_Cutting_Master/CMF2-DVD-5.htm

But: changing the CGMS-settings in scenarist does not have any effects. The disc remains "unprotected".

The reason why I am fiddling with that stuff is:

I want to see the CPRM-System of a standalone DVD-recorder to react on a "one copy permitted" DVD..... :)

mpucoder
14th May 2005, 17:31
According to the info I have, without CSS the disk defaults to unprotected. CGMS is only effective with CSS (same as Macrovision, you can enable it in the APS field, but without CSS it does not work).

EiGuscheMa
15th May 2005, 07:05
Enabling APS Type1 does work, however: the recorder says "copy protected" and refuses to record.

The reason might be that the CGMS information is stored in the (unaccessible) header-data whereas APS is not..... :( .... right?