PDA

View Full Version : messed up Ghost in the Shell DVD or messed up user? :)

Hitokiri
26th June 2002, 13:24
Hi all, my first post. I started out ripping dvd's a week or so ago. My first project was a Ghost in the Shell bootleg dvd, nothing difficult about ripping it because the IVTC went very well, of course back then i didn't know i should use filters in nandub, especially when ripping anime. But as you anime fans all know, bootlegs have inferior quality, so i decided to go and rip my PAL version dvd. That turned out to be quite a pain in the arse, it lacked the quality you should expect from a 600-700mb rip, so i tried again and again..until i read on this very forum that (deinterlacing-)ghosts in anime are very bad so i tried to find a way to eliminate the deinterlacing and keep progressive frames. Poopity suggested somewhere using 'discard field x', that resulted in a rip with 'less' ghosts, i thougt i was satisfied with the result, but this time the image had some sort of annoying vibration in it.

you can download a sample here (http://users.pandora.be/chronos/sample.avi) to see for yourself, notice the text at the begining of the movie. i am well aware i overused the warp sharp filter a little ;)

still, i tried to find a way to get rid of the remaining ghosts, until i found this:
1 (http://users.pandora.be/chronos/fuckedup1.jpg)
2 (http://users.pandora.be/chronos/fuckedup2.jpg)

I unfolded the 2 fields and noticed that images were sometimes blended into each other in the seperate fields. also notice the strange artifacts in field 1 and field 2 just above the red arrow.
Now i must say, i'm pretty new at all of this so i could be entirely wrong, but shouldn't the fat guy's blended face in the middle of field 1 be in field 2? does this mean my PAL dvd is totally screwed? any way of reversing the process or saving my progressive frames?

i'll appreciate any help, tnx

jggimi
26th June 2002, 14:29
I took the time to download and examine the .avi in nandub; to me it looks like the de-interlacing did not go very well. You might try a different de-interlacing filter. I use AviSynth rather than vfapi; that gives me access to Decomb or GreedyHMA to deinterlace.

You might also wait to hear from someone who's dealt with that particular dvd. :-)

DJ Bobo
26th June 2002, 14:41
@ Hitokiri
This is nothing new, and were discussed in this forum some times in the near past.
PAL anime DVDs that are interlaced, were subject of a weird NTSC-PAL conversion, done by some fucking idiots, that were lazy enough, to make a PAL speed up instead :angry:

-> no way to get 100% smooth motion
-> you'll have to live with those ghosts! don't even try to get rid of them, because if you reduce them: stutter, stutter, stutter,... :angry:

So, if you're not using AviSynth, use the deinterlace(blend) filter. If you're using AviSynth, use Decomb:

LoadPlugin("...\decomb.dll")
FieldDeinterlace()

Both methods have EXACTLY the same output and this is already the BEST you can get! :o

Hitokiri
26th June 2002, 15:00
tnx for the replies guys
i guess i'll have to make a 2cd rip with blend then, because those ghosts really mess up the quality :(
about that text at the beginning i was talking about, i meant another sample that actually starts at the start of the movie, but the sample i uploaded is from the same rip, so no problem there ;)

i was planning to try that avisynth/decomb combination, but if it will give me exactly the same output, then i won't bother trying ;)