PDA

View Full Version : Save as uncompressed not working

oggiedoggie
22nd June 2002, 19:36
I saw someone else in an afterdawn forum with the same problem...

Basically, I'm trying to save out a short 1 minute segment of a DVD uncompressed so I can bring it into Premiere and save it back again as DV, after doing some modifications to it.

Every time I select the section in DVD2AVI (1.76), pick "force film" then save AVI and pick uncompressed, it completes way too fast, then the file it makes is empty (0 bytes).

If I pick HuffYUV it works as expected (gives me an 830K or so file).

What's goin' on? Any ideas?

Obi Wan Celeri
26th June 2002, 02:26
I've never tried to export uncompressed (save as AVI) but this looks like a codec problem: I think DVD2AVI is sending the stuff to the codec you've specified (uncompressed) but somehow everything falls into the bit bucket.

This might be Window's fault.

Anyways you said you were using HuffYuv; a much better solution anyhow. Mind you, DVD2AVI's real use is to make .D2V files, which can then be converted to .AVI files. I've never tried it but I think you can then load these .AVI into Premiere without a hitch (please correct me if I'm wrong).

oggiedoggie
26th June 2002, 02:45
I just tried HuffYUV to see if I could get anything to export. As it turns out I couldn't use it because I needed to end up with a file usable on a Mac.

Anyhow, turns out I did get an export to work... I turned off Force Film and saved as RGB instead of YUV and saving as uncompressed suddenly worked. I'm guessing it was the latter change that did it (YUV->RGB) but I didn't go back to check.

Anyhow, thanks for the ideas!

javixxx
26th June 2002, 21:14
Read this :

Before saving AVI, you must decide the Color Space at first and VCM will list all available codecs.
However, there are some exceptions. For example, uncompressed AVI doesn't support YUV 4:2:2 format.

Source : http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jackei/dvd2avi/doc/