PDA

View Full Version : DVD-R media

nad
28th May 2002, 21:33
Could you people give some recommendations and experiences with different kinds of DVD-R discs.. What cheapest and best for the price??

I have no idea what to buy... I need compatibility and quality...

I just can't spend 6-8 dollars per Pioneer disc.

I have heard of Optodisc, Princo, Ritek. Are any of these good.

Pioneer, TDK, Verbatim, Panasonic all seem to be too expensive.

TRILIGHT
28th May 2002, 21:42
Well, the best available are the ones you claim are too expensive. You really should have checked the first post (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22974) on this forum for the answer to your question.

Commander XJL
28th May 2002, 22:12
I would recomend disks from Apple. Their 5 dollars a piece with no shipping charges and their top quality. If your not willing to spend that much and you want to go with cheap generics, you may be in for a world of shit, just do a search on generic media on the forum and check out how many people went through a bunch of hell and expensive over generic media, people are having problems with virtually every type of generic media

padre
29th May 2002, 21:24
nad,

I have to agree that the Pioneer, Apple and Verbatum are just too expensive. I've been getting great results from some generics from a few key vendors, from $2.00 and less. I won't post the brands or vendors, for fear of being labelled a suck-up to the vendor(s) by some poster.

I'd suggest you review the comments on this forum and make your decision on your own. Everyone's result vary based on experience, patience, batches of DVD-Rs, and so on. No blanket statement is going to cover every situation. I wish life were that simple!

Good luck and remember to share your experiences here!

Imjin
29th May 2002, 21:31
I got about 25 opto's for around $5 a piece when I bought my burner from MWave or Newegg... i forget which. They've been flawless for me so far.

SquareEyes
29th May 2002, 21:33
Been using FWS blanks. Under 2 pounds in the UK and they play fine on my Pioneer 636D (oh...and they also like my PS2!!)

jmonfm
30th May 2002, 15:27
You could try 2 sites www.thepriceiswrite.co.uk or www.valuemedia.co.uk prices range from £0.85 upwards. I have tried quite a few of them and they work fine for me.:) on stand a lones and on PS2.