PDA

View Full Version : Archiving Benny Hill Video Collection need advice

geniv
26th May 2002, 06:02
I was encoding my brother's Benny HIll videos to divx. It was a project I started 2 months ago but got rally lazy and did about 35% of it. at the time I was using Window Media Encoder and FreeVCR with Divx311.

Anway WME was good at no framedrop, audio sync and more percise filesize prediction
Divx311 seems to give me better quaity at same bitrate. but it's got sligh sync errors with the audio and harder to perdict the filesize.

That was being done in real time on a PIII450mhz 327 ram. win98

Now I got a AMDXP 1800+, 512meg DDR, 120gig 7200rpm HD and WinXP.
Was experiemnting with Huff, Mjpeg, and Divx5

my goal is to fit about 3 hours of footage in a per CDR with 320x240 resoultion and 64k audio bitrate.

can anyone advise on how I can do this with the best video/audio possible given the limitation I listed? (I don't mind reencoding now that I got a faster cpu and sh1t load of HD space)

I was experiementing with Vdub Sync 1.4.10 and Huff, MJPEG and Divx5
the seems to have slight problems with drop frames and a/v sync. (but at the time I was using capping from the DVD movie Soldier as a test )

thanks

ivan_alias
26th May 2002, 09:12
If I was doing this:

I would capture in High res (I can do full PAL thanks to the new BTwincap drivers ;) )

Use MJPEG at 18 or 19 quality setting

Run my new (and huge!) avi through a few filters, (usually de-interlace and sharpen), resize it to 320x240 and use a 2 pass Divx5 encode. (bitrate about 400-500 should be ok depending on taste)

The the audio (which has been captured at 48khz mono PCM) I just use a standard LAME CBR in vdub, set to 64kbps.

I suggest you try a few things out. There are lots of threads on this forum with people stating their various settings. Use the forum search and see what it comes up with.

[EDIT] The application I use is virtual vcr from www.digtv.ws. You may find Vdub oes the trick for you as its also a good capture app.