PDA

View Full Version : need help with automated subtitles

Tza
14th May 2002, 20:56
Hi,

I'm writing this script system to auto rip, encode, mux, etc. DVDs without much user interaction, and it's going very well except that I haven't solved this subtitle problem (the other bugs I can solve more easily).

I want to allow encoding by chapter, but I can't figure out how to get subtitles to work. I can rip by chapter with SmartRipper, and encode each of those resultant VOB files individually. But, I can't rip per chapter subtitles with VobSub (this is the best of the programs I've tried). Furthermore, if I rip each chapter individually with SmartRipper, the subtitles I rip have bad timing (offset approximately equal to the time that chapter would start in the movie, plus some chapters reset sub timing in the middle).

So, the only solution I have right now is manual subtitle editing, which is really painful. Right now I'm considering modifying VobSub to add the functionality I need, but there is a lot to do (parsing IFO is just the beginning). Can anyone suggest a better way to get what I want?