PDA

View Full Version : DVD Organizer project - need some DVD programming help

jfcarbel
12th April 2002, 17:47
I am working on a DVD Organizer program in Borland's Delphi and need some help. Hopefully some of you DVD programmers can help me out.

What I want to achieve:
User can put a DVD movie in the DVD-ROM drive and my program will grab the Chapter stop times, movie title (if available), unique discID. Also (tricky one here) would like to grab bitmaps of each of the chapter stops to create a scene index that can be stored on the machine.

I believe that the chapter stops, title, and discID may be failrly easy since the code or DLLs are out there to accomplish this. Bu the real tricky one is getting those scene bitmaps. I know that for Delphi that the DirectX API has been wrappered for Delphi at JEDI Graphix (http://www.crazyentertainment.net/). Also know that I would actually have to grab the scenes from the DVDs MPEG2 movie stream since the menus that contain the scene index are just bitmaps with a subpicture mask.

I am familiar with Delphi and have already written code to get HTML source from IMDB.com and parse movie info from it an put in a database. But I have no knowledge of DirectX programming. I do know that that Microsoft did provide with the new 8.1 DirectShow the ability to get info from DVDs. Is there a standard DLL that has all the DVD programming functions that DVD rippers and other tools use or is it in multiple places?

So if any of you can help me out with programming on this I would greatly appreciate it and keep you updated on the project.

jfcarbel
4th January 2009, 12:51
Bump, hoping to get restarted on this project.

It would be awesome if the top tool like VideoReDo had a CLI, but commercial programs rarely ever supply a CLI for fear of being re-wrapped in a new GUI and sold.

My question has always been - Is there an open source tool for recutting a DVD without recoding that provides a CLI and accepts input file of cut points? Not sure what those cut points could be as I am not real technically educated about the VOB format.

Is there any tool out there that can accept some DVD movie timecode marker (not sure what that would be from the VOB) and output its frame as a bitmap. I know that only I-frames contain the full frame and that some decoding would need to be done if the chosen timecode is an intraframe.

Some CLI tools providing this functionality could make it possible for us non-DVD media programmers to include some awesome features in our programs. But its been awhile since I researched whats out there and not sure what options are available to me now.