PDA

View Full Version : newbie VB question

ivan_alias
9th April 2002, 07:27
Hi all

I'm going to write my own gui for some apps (mainly azid and lame). I know there are plenty of guis out there but this is so I can learn some simple programming not to compete in gui wars or anything ;)

I've been toying with VB for some years but never really learnt much past the basics. Does anyone have any advice / good links for tutorials or some really simple source for calling the exes in a gui I could learn from?

Thanks a lot

Ivan_Alias

LigH
10th April 2002, 08:36
Not really about your original question - but you might consider using the BeSweet DLL instead of calling Azid and Lame EXE...

BlackSun
10th April 2002, 14:19
LigH is right, anyway maybe launching some .exe will help you to learn.

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb contain a lot of source code, it will make you happy :)

Also you can download (GPL) MorphiX source code, it show how to use the Lame DLL, it's in the download section (source code) @ Doom9.net

Enjoy ! :D

ivan_alias
10th April 2002, 17:01
Thanks guys

I got a hold of a copy of the source for vblamer which is a real simple gui to get me going.

Thanks for the links too.

The last time I did any programming was in mallard basic on the Amstrad CPW word processor thingy about 10 years ago!

BlackSun
11th April 2002, 10:08
I have begun on an Amstrad CPC 464 with Basic too :)
64kb of memory !

Swede
11th April 2002, 10:18
64kb of memory ! You where lucky :)

My first computer (a swedish thing called ABC-80) had 16kb, a 1 MHz 8-bit Z-80 and a tape recorder. But of course that was back in '78.

vinouz
11th April 2002, 11:36
My first computer (a swedish thing called ABC-80) had 16kb, a 1 MHz 8-bit Z-80 and a tape recorder
was it some sort of TRS-80 clone ?

for myself it was a french computer we had in primary schools called MO5 from thomson.
Then I got an Atari ST and forgot about that thing (my surprise was back then, at age nine, when I discovered I could have 8 different colors on the same consecutive 8 pixels if I wanted. Gosh).
still remember my first ASM68K code... (cleaning the screen...) i was twelve, read about this wonderful game that is "Xenon 2". In the text was written 'bitmap bros did this prowess in 800kb pure ASM. So I said 'I'm gonna learn Assembler !'

Ok, my humble participation to that 'ooh guy when I was young' nostalgic troll ;oP

Vincent

Nic
11th April 2002, 11:47
God I loved Xenon 2...The music ruled as well...very catchy :)

-Nic

Swede
11th April 2002, 12:12
Ok, my humble participation to that 'ooh guy when I was young' nostalgic troll ;oP Oohh.. Don't get me started. :D I've been around for far too many years.. I've actually got a Microsoft Cobol-80 manual in my bookshelf with their then rented-office-suite-address on the back... (Although I've never written anything good in Cobol, but who has?)

The ABC-80 was not a TRS-80 clone, even though the (fantastic?) hardware spec where about the same, it was entirely developed in sweden.

ivan_alias
11th April 2002, 16:21
My 1st it of code was when I was about 7 or 8.

At school we used to go over to the BBC BASIC machines and use the good old trick:

10 PRINT "blah blah is an idiot! ";
20 GOTO 10
Run

:)

Hours of fun!

vinouz
11th April 2002, 19:07
My 1st it of code was when I was about 7 or 8.

and when was your last ? :rolleyes:

ivan_alias
11th April 2002, 19:10
Well until this week about 8 years ago!

LigH
12th April 2002, 06:19
Does anyone know a Commodore-16?! :D Oh, how much fun I had with that one... And the eastern german KC87, shipped along with a little hammer (for the keyboard) :p / Or the KC85-3 with line-by-line "smooth scroll" -- Our school was one of the first in eastern germany who got the BICs: CGA-like (or even -compatible?) graphics, 128 KB RAM, SCP (the eastern version of CP/M), ROM-BASIC, and the best: a diskette drive! (But where could one buy diskettes in GDR?)

Fortunately, these times are so long ago...:sly:

ivan_alias
12th April 2002, 07:16
I had a commodore plus 4 which was very sililar to the commodore 16 and inferior to the lovely ommodore 64 which all my friends seemed to have!

vinouz
13th April 2002, 23:46
I still remember a wonderful demo on C64 with communist signs moving on hardtek music ;).
Roots it was !

LigH
14th April 2002, 00:38
Or the C64 version of the Second Reality by Smash Design :eek: - runs fine in CCS64 2.0 :cool: ...

- Does anyone remember the original topic title?!? :D

vinouz
14th April 2002, 03:42
Remember meeting the coder at wired'98. Although I loved the old demos mostly because at that time competition wasn't that pushed, I was flabbergasted by the work.
But then I also have to mention "Paper" from Statix/ACME and more recently the .product (http://theproduct.de).
So well, yeah, starting from "newbie"+"VB"+"question", I thing we quite made some advance in terms of respectability of topic ;-p
just a joke. Now stop chatting and back to work guyz ! And quick !

HongKongFu
21st April 2002, 16:25
@ivan_alias

maybe my code is interesting for you

cu fu

http://home.tiscalinet.de/pva2divx