PDA

View Full Version : Filters for DV movies

Adamo
29th March 2002, 13:47
Hi,

what filters do you suggest to use with DV movies (except deinterlace and resize) ????

Adamo

rmatei
3rd April 2002, 03:28
It depends, of course, but less is more. Be very careful to only filter (except for deinterlace/resize) if it's strictly necessary. If the material is fairly clean then leave it as it is. If not you might want to use some smoothers (temporal smoother is good).

I don't have that much experience with DV anyway and this has nothing to do with Nandub so I'll move it.

bb
3rd April 2002, 07:20
For smoothing I use 2d cleaner 0.9 optimized (default settings) and temporal smoother (strength 1 or 2). That 2d cleaner thing is fast as lightning, but reconfirm you use the right version for your processor (you can only distinguish them by filename).

In low light shots I often get a lot of chroma noise; you might want to try Chroma Noise Reduction.

Normally I don't deinterlace, because my camcorder supports progressive scan. If you need to deinterlace, I recommend Donald Graft's smart deinterlace (you need a REAL deinterlacer, the phase shifters and field swappers won't work, though they are useful for TV captures).

Usually I resize to 640xYYY using VirtualDubs resize with the Precise Bicubic (A=0.75). You can try a sharpener with low settings as the last link in the filter chain.

bb

Adamo
3rd April 2002, 08:11
Yes, I also get a lot of chroma noise in low light shots.

I was searching for this Chroma Noise Filter and i have found one made by Gilles Mouchard ver 1.1, is this the one you recommend?

Can you explain a little bit how to use this filter?

Thanx

Adamo

bb
3rd April 2002, 11:38
Yes, that's the one. I don't remember the settings, but I can post them when I'm back home.

bb

Adamo
3rd April 2002, 11:58
Thank you very much,

as I can see it is not "easy to use" filter so if you could send me basics I would be very happy. :D

Is your video made in "prograsive scan" mode jerky?

In my camcorder JVC GR-DVL-9500E movie taken by progressive scan is not as smooth as in normal (interlaced) mode.

Adamo

theReal
4th April 2002, 18:47
If the material is fairly clean then leave it as it is.
This is what I try do to as well, but DV is hard to compress (it's very detailed). Without further filtering than resize and deinterlace, you can under no circumstances go below a divx bitrate of 2000 (and that is with divx5 using b-frames)

For a very modest filtering try to resize with VirtualDubs precise bilinear filter instead of avisynth bicubic filters. It improves compressibility very much but leaves the picture quite sharp.

Another very modest filtering option is temporalsmoother(2,1) before resize