PDA

View Full Version : 29.970, NTSC, Interlaced Movie Question

deKerf
27th March 2002, 23:45
OK I'm trying to RIP the Patlabor Movie and its type is 29.970, NTSC, and the frame type is interlaced. Do I check forced film? Or when I save and encode in the in the Gordian Knot process do I check inverse telecine or what?

Thanks for any insights
-Dylan

Selur
28th March 2002, 08:40
U could use Forced Film (helps in most of the cases), I personally would use decomb (u must modifiy the avs fiel manually) because it gave me better results (also it's slower). If U use forecd film check the preview window in Gknot u might want to also use a fast deinterlacer filter,.. some lines might get through ;)

Cu Selur

jggimi
28th March 2002, 14:37
"Force FILM" is an easy-to-use form of Inverse Telecine (IVTC) -- bringing 29.97fps NTSC video that has been Telecine processed -- converted from FILM (24fps) -- back to a frame rate very close to the original (23.976fps).

It should not be used for sources that were made with video cameras, but only with sources originally made on FILM. A lot of anime was designed for broadcast, and shot with video camera. These sources should usually be left at 29.97fps.

Interlacing, on the other hand, needs to be removed. You have a number of choices. From within Gordian Knot, you can select 2 different de-interlacing filters, or, as suggested, you can use Decomb. The .avs file must be edited manually -- Gordian Knot does have an Edit button on one of the windows that pop up when you "Save and Encode" to make it a little easier. The decomb filter set, with documentation, can be downloaded from Doom9's site.

I hope this helped clarify things.

deKerf
28th March 2002, 17:39
Hey thanks guys,

Well from what I've tried: not checking forced film, leaving the fps at 29.970 in Gnot, and checking the inverse telecine button when I save the avs script seem to work best but its still not perfect. I'm gonna try the interlacing options like you mentioned. I'm beginning to see that encoding anime is quite the challenge.

-Dylan

jggimi
28th March 2002, 18:05
Without having examined your source content, my suggestion would be to not use IVTC, neither in dvd2avi with Force FILM, nor in Gordian Knot with the IVTC filter, since the source is likely not Telecined. (You can examine content frame by frame, if need be, to help determine if it was actually Telecined.)

I would use one of the three choices of de-interlacing: fast, smart, or the FieldDeinterlace() filter in the Decomb package. I usually experiment by extracting a small project with dvd2avi using the [ and ] buttons, and see which looks best.

Edit: You can build multiple .avs files with different filter arrangements, then examine the output in Vdub to determine, fairly quickly, how things might look.