PDA

View Full Version : Can I remove "Making Of" extras on DVDs with IFOEdit?

TP2K
17th March 2002, 17:58
I am trying to remove all of the extras (Making of feature etc) from a DVD. These are all contained in VTS_05 VOB file.

I have tried, but I don't seem to be able to get it to work, and I have followed the guides published as per stripping languages etc (I assume to strip extra's it's the same way?).

Is it possible to remove ALL the extras off of a DVD in this way? If so, anyone got a bit of a newbie's guide please?

windtrader
17th March 2002, 19:28
If you want to keep just the movie, this is easy. Look at the following guides.

http://mpucoder.dynodns.net/derrow/index.html (movie only guide)

http://www.doom9.org/guides.htm

TP2K
17th March 2002, 19:50
I do want the movie, but I also want the menus and all the audio/subtitle options; can these all be kept?

TP2K
17th March 2002, 21:28
Well, I tried the guides, and while it did put exactly what I wanted on the disc, (ie the menus & the film), said disc won't play on my stand alone DVD, but plays perfectly on the PC.

Any clues how to rectify this? I simply cut all the files needed from the ripped folder and put them into a VIDEO_TS folder which was burned to the disc.

windtrader
17th March 2002, 22:04
THe following quote is from the mpucoder guide. You must do these steps if you want it to play in STB. Also, make sure your player can play the discs you burned. Many players do not play DVD-R discs.

http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

>>>
After it is finished, rename your original VTS_02_1.VOB - VTS_02_n.VOB to VTS_01_1.VOB - VTS_01_n.VOB, and move it to the destination directory. Copy the created IFO files to BUP, and lets rock'n roll!

Oh, and don't forget to use the button 'Get VTS Sectors', right before burning it to DVD-RW.!!!!

<<<<

TP2K
17th March 2002, 22:43
From the ripped files, I am needing the VTS 01, VTS 03 & VTS 07 files.

So based on what you advise, to get this to play in a set top, would I rename VTS 03 as VTS 02... And VTS 07 as VTS 03...?

If that is the case, would it not then mean that the information in the original navigation would be wrong?

Joseph2
18th March 2002, 01:34
I think the solution is much simpler. I assume you want to keep both the movie and the menu, and perhaps some of the extras, but delete others to save some space. Assuming also that you have all the files in the same directory, and that you want to remove the 'making of', located in VTS_05_X.VOB, the steps would be:
- Delele all the files VTS_05_1.VOB, VTS_05_2.VOB, etc, EXCEPT VTS_05_0.VOB, VTS_05_0.IFO, and VTS_05_0.BUP
- Edit VTS_05_0.IFO with IfoEdit. You should find something similar to this:

Title Set (Movie) attributes:
Video: MPEG-2 720x576 (PAL) (PAL 625/50) (4:3) (not specified perm.display)
Audio 1: English (Dolby AC-3 2ch 48Kbps DRC (dynamic range control) ) (ID: 0x80)

PGC_1 (program chain): [Title(TTN): 1] [00:00:55.05 / 25 fps] (Programs: 2) (Cells: 2) (uses VOB-IDs: 1)
[Ch 01] [Pg 01] [Cell 01] : time: 00:00:53.15 / 25 fps [Pos: 00:00:53.15] [Frames: 1340]
[Ch 02] [Pg 02] [Cell 02] : time: 00:00:01.15 / 25 fps [Pos: 00:00:55.05] [Frames: 1380]

PGC_2 (program chain): [Title(TTN): 2] [00:01:09.10 / 25 fps] (Programs: 2) (Cells: 2) (uses VOB-IDs: 2)
[Ch 01] [Pg 01] [Cell 01] : time: 00:01:07.20 / 25 fps [Pos: 00:01:07.20] [Frames: 1695]
[Ch 02] [Pg 02] [Cell 02] : time: 00:00:01.15 / 25 fps [Pos: 00:01:09.10] [Frames: 1735]

... etc

Select the PGC you want to delete. If it's 'making of' probably you'll have a single PGC, but if you have some trailers, or additional scenes, you'll have several PGC's you'll have to delete one by one. After selecting, press 'Delete Playback'. When you finish deleting all undesired PGC's, save your .IFO file.

That's all. You'll have a perfect working menu in standalone players. When you press the 'making of' in the menu nothing will happen, and the menu will continue working. Do not delete anything more, or strip anything in the .IFO, because you will lose the navigation between menus.

windtrader
18th March 2002, 03:02
I like your idea but what about video_ts.ifo, doesn't this need updating? It will contain references to the missing VTS in the VMG_PTT_SPRT table, maybe other places.

Joseph2
18th March 2002, 06:49
Originally posted by windtrader
I like your idea but what about video_ts.ifo, doesn't this need updating? It will contain references to the missing VTS in the VMG_PTT_SPRT table, maybe other places.

AFAIK the references from VIDEO_TS.IFO jump the other .IFO file, and not directly to the video stream. As you keep the .IFO, and even the corresponding menu (VTS_X_0.VOB) you never lose the links

Taz69
29th April 2002, 02:39
Originally posted by Joseph2

AFAIK the references from VIDEO_TS.IFO jump the other .IFO file, and not directly to the video stream. As you keep the .IFO, and even the corresponding menu (VTS_X_0.VOB) you never lose the links

I have been after doing something similar and have just tried this.

I'm sorry to report that Ifoedit's player comes up with an error stating 'DVD Warning:An illegal navigation command was encountered'

Both with & without the 'Get VTS Sectors':confused:

mpucoder
29th April 2002, 05:12
This is covered by the Q&A - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18817

daxab
8th July 2002, 07:39
I'm having exactly the problem originally described by TP2K. This is NOT covered in the FAQ. I follow Joseph2's procedure exactly, but I still get illegal navigation when I press the button for a trailer that I've done a "Delete Playback" on the PGC of.

I'd really just like the button itself to go away, but I don't think IfoEdit can do that. Failing that, I'd like to edit the commands of the button, but I don't see them in IfoEdit. Maybe this is just outside of IfoEdit's current (0.91) features.

Dok
8th July 2002, 12:34
Joseph2 is correct in advising that you must keep VTS_05_0.BUP, VTS_05_0.IFO, and depending on the size of the first VOB file (i.e 100kb or less), you can include VTS_05_0.VOB. Or create a dummy VOB.

However, I have not found it necessary to manually alter the IFO file as suggested. Simply ensure that the VTS files are sequential (i.e. 1,2,3,etc.) and run each file through "Get VTS Sectors" and save each separately.

Then close IfoEdit, reopen it, and create an image file which can be burned to disc using DVD MovieFactory or some similar software.

I've successfully burned over 100 DVD-R's and this method works every time.

daxab
8th July 2002, 17:55
I have everything in VTS_01_*.VOB. There are a few VOB IDs inside those files:

1, 2 studio logo, fbi warning
3, 4 movie
5, 6 extras

I can delete 1 and 2 using IfoEdit. I get a navigation error now at first play, but I fix it by manually editing the commands to go directly to the title menu instead of trying to play the nonexistent title.

I can delete 5 and 6 as well, also using IfoEdit. This works (everything works), EXCEPT when I try to press a button on a menu page that normally goes to title 5 or 6. Then I get a navigation error.

I believe each button is associated with a single command, so if I could edit this command (make it a NOP) then that might work -- but I don't see the button command anywhere. Maybe I don't know where to look.

As an experiment, I took the full, unedited files, and just did a Delete Playback on the title I'm trying to get rid of. Sure enough, that gives me a navigation error when I press the corresponding menu button in DVD Play in IfoEdit.

Dok
8th July 2002, 19:04
daxab,

Just curious. If you are deleting extras, e.g. "making of," why would you need to operate the menu button that was assigned to that particular function which is now obsolete?

Unless you're thinking of re-assigning values, which I understand cannot yet be accomplished with IfoEdit.

daxab
9th July 2002, 01:21
Oh, I don't want to operate the button.

It just bothers me that if it does get selected, my standalone flashes DISC ERROR and goes to a blank screen. I'd like buttons pointing to deleted stuff to just do nothing.