PDA

View Full Version : DVD2AVi's .avs and VirtualDub

scodonia47
15th March 2002, 16:37
I've been following the DivX5 guide (I've finally decided to try to do an encoding in Windows rather than Linux, due to the availability of DivX5). Everything's fine except when it's time to load the DVD2AVI produces .avs into VirtualDub, it fails.

VirtualDub just says it cannot recongnized the file type. I've tried both the version of VirtualDub that comes with Gordian Knot, and the very latest from the official site.

I've looked at the .avs, and besides comments, the contents is just:

LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\mpeg2dec.dll")
mpeg2source("G:\matrixtest.d2v")
crop(0,78,718,418)
BilinearResize(704,288)

(Output of cat matrixtest.avs | grep -v '^#')

Why isn't VirtualDub and DVD2AVI co-operating?

Thanks!

jdobbs
17th March 2002, 04:12
Are you sure you have AVISynth installed properly and have copied the AVISYNTH.DLL file to the \windows\system32 directory? This is required if you're using an .AVS file.

AVS is not really related to DVD2AVI -- but AVISYNTH can directly read it's output when you use the MPEG2DEC.DLL plugin.

scodonia47
17th March 2002, 23:42
No! I didn't have it installed; I must have missed the fact that you needed it.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I don't know if I'm stupid or if it just wasn't mentioned in the guide, but this is great...

Thanks again.

jdobbs
19th March 2002, 03:34
No problem. This stuff gets confusing, especially when you have to integrate so many packages. But DVD2AVI and AVISynth have both certainly been a time savers for me. My hat is off to all the guys who develop these fantastic packages for nothing more than the joy of helping others and proving their great talents.