PDA

View Full Version : Serious ogm problems

Dr-Z
14th March 2002, 00:51
Hi, running the latest ds versions of OggDs (0.9.8.6) and SubTitDS (1.1.2.0) but I'm still in trouble.

1. Choppy or extremly slow video playback of some ogm streams with DivX5 video and ogg audio. Video without audio joined runs fine though. 4 eps of the same series I encoded, one runs perfect, the others don't. The only difference I know of is the resolution: 704x544 runs smoothly, 704x528 doesn't.

2. When I mux .srt subtitles with a divx4/divx5 video stream (havent tried 3.11), the file wouldn't play at all in mplayer2 (filter problem bla bla). That however happened with a 720 x XYZ resolution. When I went down to 704 x XYZ, the file was playable (with the restrictions of 1., of course).

Anybody noticed anything like that?
Are those truly resolution-related problems or was that just coincidence?

Appreciate any help

Dr-Z

canadian_fbi
14th March 2002, 04:17
i haven't noticed anything like that, but i have to say i've never done anything at that high a resolution. and the fact that it doesn't do it at all at a very close high res is odd too...

would it be possible to cut a short clip of it as an example? because i have noticed odd playback in some ogms, where the audio will play fine and the video will slow down for a second or so and then catch back up quickly.

Neo Neko
14th March 2002, 05:26
Yes the more info we gather the better Tobias can make it.

Dr-Z
14th March 2002, 08:41
Ok I'll put 2 samples here but gotta go to work first. A pity there's no simple splitter around yet... ;) Thanks for your interest already.

Dr-Z

Dr-Z
14th March 2002, 21:12
Ok there we go:

Problem 1 seems to be not ogm but DivX5 related, so forget about that one.

Problem 2 (the subtitle-problem) still persists and I was able to reproduce it:

I encoded the first 250 frames two times with exactly the same settings, except for the resolution: The first file had 704x544, the second 720x544 with vdub (low bitrate due to the filesize limit here). Then I joined it with subtitles using graphedit.

The result: 704x544 played, 720x544 did not.

I put both files in the zip file attached.

P.S.: Uhm, I don't seem to be able to see my attachment, I hope you can (I know it must be there, it's shown when I edit this post).

Acaila
14th March 2002, 22:48
@Dr-Z:

Attachments don't show until the moderator has approved them.

I can confirm your second problem, at least partially. I haven't been able to play ogg/ogm files with subtitles muxed in since the first OGG DSF. I doesn't matter if I decrease the resolution, they won't play at any.
I thought it could be the OS, I'm using Win98SE, what are you using?

Also, 704 is divisible by everything up to 32, 720 is divisible by up to 16, but not by 32. Maybe it's the MOD thing again seeing as so many filters have problems with certain resolutions.

Neo Neko
15th March 2002, 03:31
Originally posted by Acaila
@Dr-Z:
Attachments don't show until the moderator has approved them.

If that is the case then how would one do that. :confused:

TobiasWaldvogel
15th March 2002, 12:56
I will check that out as soon as the attachment is accessible (may be you can sent me copy by mail). There is a difference in bitmap size calculation for RGB and YUV bitmaps (YUV bitmaps are mainly used for overlay modes). I suppose it is related this.

Best regards,
Tobias

Doom9
15th March 2002, 13:01
here we go.. we don't want developers to have to wait ;)

TobiasWaldvogel
15th March 2002, 17:10
Originally posted by Dr-Z
I put both files in the zip file attached.

I get a message that this is not a valid ZIP archive. Could you please check it ?

Regards,
Tobias

Dr-Z
15th March 2002, 20:50
I downloaded my own .zip attachment, and one program told me it was currupt while windows commander 5.0 unzipped it without a problem.

Anyway I'll try to send the files uncompressed by email.

Good luck!

TobiasWaldvogel
19th March 2002, 01:29
I downloaded my own .zip attachment, and one program told me it was currupt while windows commander 5.0 unzipped it without a problem.

Anyway I'll try to send the files uncompressed by email.

Good luck!

I've got the files but "unfortunately" both play well on my PC. I'll try to find an old one with Win98 ...

Dr-Z
19th March 2002, 08:19
hmm haven't tried it on win98 either, I'm using win2k...

TobiasWaldvogel
19th March 2002, 10:23
hmm haven't tried it on win98 either, I'm using win2k...
... or a Win2K PC ... :)