PDA

View Full Version : Playing MPEG2 and DIVX from a miniDV camera ?

bzzz2
12th March 2002, 18:16
Hi

I recently came accross a very interesting program on Oleg's site, called DVSPOOF. It is capable of encapsulating any data into a regular DV AVI, then recording it to a standard DV video camera.

This got me thinking about something, that if somebody could rewrite this program as a Direct Show filter, it would theoretically be possible to control the camera to play "slow motion" (the "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR" filter could be used for that), And then on the fly decapsulate some MPEG2 or DIVX stream embedded in the video, and
feed it into some other Video Rendering filter. ie actually playing MPEG2 or DIVX from tape directely to the pc....

From what I calculated, a whole 5 GB DVD would hold on about 30 minutes of tape.

And it gets even better, once transfered to tape, you could make copies of the datastream directly from one cam to another, using IEEE1394 cables, effectively copying an entire DVD in 30 minutes...

I don't have the skills or knowledge to program such a filter, but I'm sure some people on this forum do...

Any thoughts ?

The source was included with the program, and I managed to make the necessary changes to make it work with PAL cameras (the original was only for NTSC).
I will post if people are interested

Regards !

/Bzzz

Ookami
12th March 2002, 20:28
New programs are always (well, almost ;-) ) interesting :D .

Please, upload it somewhere ...

Cheers,

Ookie.

Originally posted by bzzz2
The source was included with the program, and I managed to make the necessary changes to make it work with PAL cameras (the original was only for NTSC).
I will post if people are interested

Regards !

/Bzzz

bzzz2
12th March 2002, 22:42
here it is..
original NTSC prog. by Andy Kromkamp, web site unavailable as of today
(http://members.home.net/andy.kromkanp/DVSpoof_v20BETA.zip)

/Bzzz

Wizard_FL
13th March 2002, 14:06
Good idea!:D It looks like an interesting theory, now we just need someone to test it. If only I had a DV camera. Oh well...

Does anyone want to try this?

taudule
29th March 2002, 14:56
@bzzz2
I just wanted to give you this link :
http://www.badchicken.com/DVTransfer
as this guy (mrpinky@igloo.com) has also improved the first release, it seems. I didn't try it myself.