PDA

View Full Version : Annoying VirtualDub Crash

civ
3rd March 2002, 05:29
Hi,

I'm having a very strange problem with vdub crashing at the very end of encoding.

When I load an avs into vdub and encode it using Huffy, vdub would crash at the very end.. sometimes when it crashes I don't even get the crash dialog.. vdub just disappears. see attachment.

my avs script:

LoadPlugin("C:\Utils\AV Kit\AVIsynth\plugins\decomb\decomb.dll")
DirectShowSource("ties.avi",fps=25)
Trim(177,11825)
Telecide()
Crop(19,3,694,569).BicubicResize(b=0,c=1,480,576)

ties.avi is a DV avi, captured using Pinnacle Studio.
when i encode this avs to divx4.12 it works fine.

I recently just got a new computer and reinstalled everything.
this never happened on my old system.

one thing i notice with my new system is that wmp plays avs's that have DirectShowSource @ 256 colors (but vdub plays it normally).
this never happened on my old system.

I'm running Athlon XP 1800+ with Windows 2000 (SP2+SP2SR1)

tenebrenz
3rd March 2002, 23:58
I just came here to post the very same thing. I am reading an avisynth script and encoding to a motion jpeg file. First time I returned to my computer, virtualdub was closed and the file wouldn't play. Second time I saw it crash, it encoded the last frame, then Win2k came up with the "has generated errors and will be closed" dialog.
Is there a way I can read the file, when Virtualdub opens it, it reconstructs index block it finds 13187 frames but doesn't find any key frames and there are no frames are in the timeline.
I'm using 1.4.8

civ
4th March 2002, 02:03
Thank god i'm not the only one with the problem.

can you plz post ur avs thanks

tenebrenz
4th March 2002, 03:01
LoadPlugin("C:\video\AVSGEN\MPEG2DEC.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\video\AVSGEN\AVISynth_Spatial.dll")
mpeg2source("F:\movie\vts_01.d2v")
Crop(10,3,698,572)
Reverse

And the 'dynamic noise reduction mmx' filter in virtualdub

I'm working on a fairly grainy black and white film. I was going to test the effects of temporal noise reduction working on a clip in reverse. Then reverse this clip back to normal.
I also wondered whether smoothing in both directions could allow more noise to be removed compared to smoothing in one direction only, but I've wasted a day now.

civ
4th March 2002, 04:46
I can't seem to determine weather it's a VirtualDub/AVIsynth or codec issue. :confused:

If i had 2 scripts that looked like the following:

# ----- Script 1
DirectShowSource("test.avi",fps=25)
Trim(0,1000)

# ----- Script 2
DirectShowSource("test.avi",fps=25)
Trim(0,1000) ++ Trim(1001,2000)

vdub would crash around the 998-1000 frame for script 1, and for script 2 it would crash around 1998-2000.

so it doesn't seem like it's the clip.

Synth
4th March 2002, 18:56
Is "dynamic compilation" disabled in vdub? Might want to try that.

Or try the just released vdub 1.4.9

civ
6th March 2002, 23:45
> Subject: Re: PRB: VirtualDub crashing at the very end of encoding.
> On Wednesday, 6 March 2002 3:06 PM, Avery Lee wrote:

> Aha!
> You're using a video source that has a non-zero dwSampleSize value in
> its stream header, and no audio track. Try attaching a dummy WAV file
> using the WAV Audio option -- it doesn't matter how short. That
> should fix the problem.

poopity poop
11th March 2002, 17:13
I'm so glad I found this post. I was doing a huffy compression to a 32 gig avi of 2 episodes, and I was having the same problems. Just add audio, it worked fine.

JimmyBarnes
12th December 2002, 13:26
I got a consistent "Access Violation" crash in VirtualDub v1.4.11 on the last frame of the 2-pass DivX Pro v5.0.2 run (no audio). I repeated the run 3 times as I had not experienced anything like this before and thought something else must be the cause. In the AVS I had specified Trim (0,163139) where 163139 was the first frame of a new scene. The resultant AVI had a corrupt index block and no keyframes. When I used Trim (0,163138), the run completed normally. The AVI was normal.

So my theory is that VirtualDub v1.4.11 doesn't like ending a 2-pass run on a scene change.

Might or might not apply to some cases in this thread but simple enough to check anyway. Interested to know if anyone gets this same effect, or if ending on other than the first frame at a scene change fixes anyone's prob.

JB

natami
14th December 2002, 06:49
i've gotten this error as well, i am also doing a huffy encode, but i do have audio added...any thoughts?

ps...is there a vbr mp3 addon thingie or something for vdub?

Sirber
17th December 2002, 14:19
Originally posted by Synth
Is "dynamic compilation" disabled in vdub? Might want to try that.

What is dynamic compilation?