PDA

View Full Version : Make subtitles yourself

Slogra
27th February 2002, 02:14
Any handy programs to make your own subtitles? I mean translate the movie yourself and then typ it yourself.
Subrip doesn't help at all, although i'm using the subrip format, which looks like this:
00:01:30,000 --> 00:01:33,000
This is subtitle number 10 at
1 minute 30 to 1 minute 33.

I use PowerDVD to play the DVD movie in slow motion to pinpoint the right start time of the subs, but unfortunately PowerDVD doesn't show milli seconds. Then I just typ it in Wordpad which is (of course) a lot of work.
Any ideas to make it easier?

Mikele
27th February 2002, 06:07
I like SubCreator. Once you've learned all the shortcuts you can do the job really fast.

bill_baroud
27th February 2002, 10:39
personnally , i use Sub Station Alpha , instead of SubCreator, i think the interface have a better design than Subcreator....

timing is a lot faster with the "time from wav" too...

If all of Anime Fansubs Groups use this tool, there is a reason ^^

(SSA have some really fun implementation in his VirtualDub subtiler filter, like Karaoke or banner :) )

find it at .... http://www.eswat.demon.co.uk/

Slogra
27th February 2002, 23:42
I'm using subrip now and i save in the most simple format: .txt. But the subtitles doesn't seem to work in BSplayer. What am i doing wrong? The .srt subtitles do work (but are more complicated to make).

I haven't figured out how to open the video in Sub Station Alpha yet :(

Mikele
28th February 2002, 00:02
Originally posted by Slogra
I'm using subrip now and i save in the most simple format: .txt. But the subtitles doesn't seem to work in BSplayer. What am i doing wrong? The .srt subtitles do work (but are more complicated to make).
You are a little bit confused here, Subrip rips subtitles from VOB files, but it doesn't create subtitles from scratch. SRT, Subrip's format, is for playback only, normally you don't edit a SRT except for some last minute corrections.
You should use a subtitle creation software (which will save your subtitles in its own format) and then when you're done with it, export it to a playback format like SRT, SUB, etc. As I said, I prefer Subcreator for this job.

I haven't figured out how to open the video in Sub Station Alpha yet :(
Me neither. I don't like that proggie, it has a lot of stuff that you'll never use and it's written in Visual Basic, oh my God!

Blodpalt
28th February 2002, 01:56
Yes, I know a handy litle progam just for you "Subtitles Translator" and you can find it here http://dvd.box.sk/indexN.php3?pid=divx&prj=soft2&tools=subtitle

Slogra
28th February 2002, 22:08
Sorry, i meant subcreator instead of subrip. :(

I make it now with only start time in .txt format, then i'll export it as str and i think it'll will work alright :)

24hourloop
7th January 2003, 23:43
I use Subcreator and it works (basically, it has a number of bugs) but it is still unclear to what to do with the output.

It crapped out on my 16GB DV AVI file but swallowed the compressed MPEG-2. I want to go to DVD.

From what I can see only Scenarist will do - or does it?

Can anyone provide some insight?

I am trying to subtitle a very old German historic movie that, as far as I can tell, is not available as a subtitled version in the U.S.

The subtitling itself is a pain in the neck (I never thought these guys were investing so much time in it, positioning it exactly right in the movie). But Subcreator works very well in that regard but so far I can only play it back in Subcreator.

The whole movie is 70+ minutes long and I would hate to invest weeks of effort in something that will turn out not to be able to do what I want.

Anybody that has done some serious work in Subcreator (or another subtitling package destined for R1 DVDs) is sorely needed!

Kurtnoise
8th January 2003, 13:59
I don't know exactly SubCreator, but I tested another programs like SubSync (http://users.pandora.be/vlad/subsync/) and Manual Video Subtitler (http://christophe.paris.free.fr/) and there are pretty good....I think ;)