PDA

View Full Version : SVCD sub help

Blodpalt
26th February 2002, 18:35
02-26-2002 12:07 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have downloaded and tested a "TEST_SVCD" with subs(www.doom9.org) on my DVD and it shows subtitles with CVD format, not SVCD(Phillips).
I can't make downloaded subtitles to work and I have tried hard to fix it, but no.
If you or someone could describe how to get subtitles working, step by step - I will then remember you ;-)

This is what I do:
I unpack the sound to uncompres wave in VirtualDub and encode the DivX movie in TMPGEnc PLUS 2.52 with the codec DivX 3.11a playback as a NTSCfilm(23.976(internally 29.97) to a Mpeg-file.
Then
1) I convert a subfile.sub/MicroDVD to SSA with "Subtitle Studio 2.0".
2) Then I load the file.ssa into MaestroSBT and save it as a subfile.sub (submux) with these settings ->
a) Rendering:
Script -> file.sub(submux)
Bitmaps -> Windows BMP 4 bits
Output resolution -> 480x480
Minus 2
Balanced word wrap
Script font -> use stile's
Color rendering -> two colors for text

b) Timing:
in -> 29.97
out -> 29.97

c) Segments:
I just add and click ok without setting anything

d) Styles:
Mark default and click edit
use MaestroSBT scale
take subtitles (I have also tried mid title) and click ok

e) Edit&preview:
It looks fine and all that

f) I hit Generate and it makes a bunch of BMP files and a sort of textfile

I now go to my SubMux map and use this GUI ->(SubMuxGui) and load my movie.mpg and add the file, MaestroSBT genereted as subtitle stream 1, and last mark the CVD option (I also tried SVCD and none of them) and hit generate. It looks like it mux and the movie -sub.mpg has become bigger(2 MB).
I burn it in Nero 5.5.72 as a SVCD and test it on my DVD. The movie runs but no F...... subtitle :-O

This is really killing me - heeeeellllppp

PS. I no all about VirtualDub and framerate, but "I WANT MY SUBTITLES TO BE SWITCHABLE" ;-D

Pko
27th February 2002, 15:15
Originally posted by Blodpalt
2) Then I load the file.ssa into MaestroSBT and save it as a subfile.sub (submux) with these settings ->
a) Rendering:
Script -> file.sub(submux)
Bitmaps -> Windows BMP 4 bits
Output resolution -> 480x480
Minus 2
Balanced word wrap
Script font -> use stile's
Color rendering -> two colors for text

b) Timing:
in -> 29.97
out -> 29.97

c) Segments:
I just add and click ok without setting anything

d) Styles:
Mark default and click edit
use MaestroSBT scale
take subtitles (I have also tried mid title) and click ok

e) Edit&preview:
It looks fine and all that

f) I hit Generate and it makes a bunch of BMP files and a sort of textfile

I now go to my SubMux map and use this GUI ->(SubMuxGui) and load my movie.mpg and add the file, MaestroSBT genereted as subtitle stream 1, and last mark the CVD option (I also tried SVCD and none of them) and hit generate. It looks like it mux and the movie -sub.mpg has become bigger(2 MB).
I burn it in Nero 5.5.72 as a SVCD and test it on my DVD. The movie runs but no F...... subtitle :-O

This is really killing me - heeeeellllppp

PS. I no all about VirtualDub and framerate, but "I WANT MY SUBTITLES TO BE SWITCHABLE" ;-D

What version of MaestroSBT? there was one with an error in .sub creation that make the subs invisible. If a line in .sub file ends in "15 0 0 0", you have that version. Upgrade... Also, you can change all "15 0 0 0" to "255 255 255 0" and it should work (try other numbers; that controls transparecy. Only the first 4 bits are taken into account by submux, so any number from 240 to 255 is the same, as any number from 0 to 15. it changes in steps of 16)

Also, with SVCD, your target resolution *must* be 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL). Any other will show the subs shifted in one or other direction...

What brand is your DVD player? also, does it play SVCD subs, although as non-switchable? some players play both subs, but only CVD can be switched on-off... Mine (Cyberhome) plays only SVCD subs but does it 100% OK.

Blodpalt
27th February 2002, 19:22
You are just the one I want help from - I have read some of your stof and it seems like you are clever on this front ;-)

My version of MaestroSBT is 2.2.6.0 and it shows "255 255 255 0" att the end of a line.

Why must it be "720x480(NTSC)" or "720x576(PAL)" and will it work on a "480x480" movie ?
If not:
I encode a DivX movie (usually 480x480/23.976) in TMPGEnc PLUS 2.52 as a SuperVCD NTSCfilm (480x480/23.976(internally 29.97)) and the outcome become a NTSC "480x480/29.97" .mpg movie. Should I encode the movie to "720x480(NTSC)" or "720x576(PAL)" if I want to use subs ?
If so - do you know if it will be best to change the format "480x480" to "720x480(NTSC)" or "720x576(PAL)" in BeSweetv1.11 ?
But then it whould'n be a SVCD anymore, but a DVD look'a'like whould'n it? - and the size whould be increased.

Secondly - do I use 4 or 8 uncompressed BMP in bitmaps for submux files in MaestroSBT ?

And what do you meen by (the subs shifted in one or other direction..." ?

My brand is a Denver 122 (www.denver-electronics.com/dvd122.htm) and I actually don't know exactly whether my DVD can play SVCD subs. But I tested it with some test .mpg SVCD ("svcd_ogt_test_ntsc" and "test_svcd_ntsc" and "test_svcd_pal") somewhere on this site and the only working files were "test_svcd_ntsc" and "test_svcd_pal". I'm not sure about the format but I think to remember that it was in CVD - but it could be a mistake though - and they are switchable, the subs I mean.

I have spend allmost 14 days to get this sub thing to work, so I really hope you are the one - friend ;-)

Blodpalt
28th February 2002, 21:56
Is there really no one, who can help me on this ?
Or is it just me who want's subs on SVCD ?
Is there anybody in here who can get subs on there SVCD ?

guillep2k
28th February 2002, 22:28
I just would like to help... I only think that the steps you take are perfect. I'm not able to see SVCD subtitles in my machine, so I couldn't make much tests... :(

Guille

Blodpalt
1st March 2002, 00:54
Anybody know a forum-place then - that would be able to help me on this one. It's killing me, not to make this last step in making a pefect SVCD. Maybe some of you could give me a name on somebody, that have the experiance on subs and SVCD ?

Blodpalt
2nd March 2002, 20:28
Thanx to all, i did it finally, and it's switchable too - but I have a little problem left with the subs.
Sometimes there come a yellow line under the subs (subtext are yellow and black around) How can that be, and can I remove that line ?

PS. I find out that, when I save the movie with subs, I HAVE TO SAVE IT TO THE SAME DIR where the original movie, script and bitmaps were !!!

guillep2k
4th March 2002, 21:23
Hi! Glad you figured it out. I would like to know if the output directory was the only thing you had to change in your process, or if there was anything else.

About the yellow line below some subtitles, I would like you to make a test (it could be MaestroSBT's fault). The steps are as follows:

1) Have your subtitle files re-created, if you deleted them.
2) Identify the subtitle where the yellow line appears.
3) Manually edit the .SUB file in the line corresponding to the bad subtitle. Change the height of the subtitle, reducing it by one (it's the 5th field of the line).
4) Re-encode your movie with the modified .SUB file, and check it.

Another thing: Could it be that the subtitles presenting problems are those for which the lowest pixel line is not entirely background color?

Please keep me informed.

Guille

Pko
5th March 2002, 00:21
Originally posted by Blodpalt
Thanx to all, i did it finally, and it's switchable too - but I have a little problem left with the subs.
Sometimes there come a yellow line under the subs (subtext are yellow and black around) How can that be, and can I remove that line ?

PS. I find out that, when I save the movie with subs, I HAVE TO SAVE IT TO THE SAME DIR where the original movie, script and bitmaps were !!!

Sorry, I missed your previous posts...

The 720x480 thing is not a bug but a feature! the subs look better at that higher resolution, and since 720x480 is much closer to VGA aspect ratio than 480x480, that simplifies making them in a PC since is not really needed to change aspect ratio and the BMPs can be transferred directly.

About the dirs, I've foud that I need to call submux from the same directory where the .bmp and .sub files are (well, that makes sense because the bmp filenames inside the .sub have no path information), but the input and output mpg can be elsewhere, simply you must give the full path in the command line... something like this actually work for me:

c:\submux\submux \\computer1\Movies\movie.mpg es.sub \\computer2\Movies\movie_s.mpg

(being executed in the dir where both the .sub and .bmps are)

About the problem with that "yellow line", perhaps is the compilation of submux you are using... The one that could be downloaded in a .zip file from DVD2SVCD site some time ago (do not know if is the same now) was compiled with GCC and have some bugs and was much bigger in size; the one that comes with the lasts DVD2SVCD bundles is compiled with another compiler and is much smaller in size and corrects some word alignement bugs (words in machine code sense) that caused some artifacts in SVCD-style subs (nothing unbearable, simply a few subs had the last half of the last letter at the beginning of the sub). That was corrected in the smaller size version.

The one I use now is 76.288 bytes long; the old one was 392.005 bytes long.

Blodpalt
5th March 2002, 01:37
thanx to both of you're guy's.
guillep2k --> my config is allmost the same as then, but I changed the bitmap from 4 to 8 and the resolution to "720x480" - not that the last thing mean anything though. And as I mention earlier - after I saved the output file to the same dir as the inputs, I could see the subs on my DVD. There is a funny thing, though - the file that didn't work was att the same size as the file that did work :-O

Pko --> I did actually use DVD2SVCD and submux(392.005) to mux the subs to the movie, and I hope you're right about the version of submux, because it would make it easy to cope with that last problem.
But I still think its funny when I have to save it to the same dir as the input files and I can't think of a reason why - it dont make any sense and the only thing I can come up with is a bug in DVD2SVCD's GUI - and that also make no sense :-D

I mention earlier, that CVD was the subformat I could use, but the thing is, that I use SVCD now, so maybe my DVD can play both subformats if I make the CVD in IAuthor(who brakes down all the time).

I will test and come up with the result in a few days PKO and guillep2k, not before, I have to read and go to a exsam in Network and hopefully pass with a great result ;-P

thumb to your both

guillep2k
5th March 2002, 03:04
Lucky you that your player supports both formats ;)

I'll appreciate your feedback. Good luck with your exams!

Guille