PDA

View Full Version : Filtering Horizontal Lines

skyout
24th February 2002, 03:11
I have a Christmas VHS video from my brother that has lots of horizontal lines in it. The video resembles one where you don't quite get the coax cable completely connected and you get those faint horizontal lines.

Is there a filter that I can use that will remove them? I have tried the default Flaxen VHS filter but that did not help.

Thanks,

Mark.

dragoman
24th February 2002, 08:13
Sounds like you should try to de-interlace the video.

Try Decomb or Greedy.

dragoman

24th February 2002, 13:56
Use VirtualDub together with the SmartDeinterlacer plugin. Go here:
http://sauron.mordor.net/dgraft/

skyout
24th February 2002, 19:39
Hi Guys,

Sorry, I should have been more specific. They're not interlacing artifacts, they still show up after I deinterlace it. You can see these horizontal lines when you play the video on a VCR. They look maybe like there was a bad coax connection when my brother copied the video from his 8mm camcorder, or there was a problem with the recording VCR.

I've attached a deinterlaced frame so you can see them. They're very noticable on the carpet and wall and you can also see them on the wood and the pink bear.

I've tried most of the standard VDub filters with not much luck. If need be, I'll just have to live with them, but I'm curious if this is something that filters can fix.

Thanks,

Mark.

skyout
15th March 2002, 06:17
Well, I'm back from bitchin and moaning about DivX 5's spyware version. And I'm going to give XviD a go, so I thought I would bump this one and see if anyone can help. Thanks.

15th March 2002, 12:54
I do not know of any existing filters that can help you with this, although I can theoretically see how one might work. Don't get excited, though, I'm not going to write it. :)