PDA

View Full Version : AVI Players with dithering ?

kvochur
22nd February 2002, 09:18
Hi to all,
I have a notebook with a very bad tv-out, because the output is always at 16bit, regardeless my settings...so video playback look ugly :devil:
This is not a big problem for me (I have a TV with VGA-in) but sometime I need the tv-out, and I do not want buy a VGA->converter because I need it very seldom; if exist a player (or directshow filter?) capable to do on-the-fly dithering 24-to-16bit it can solve my problem....
But there is player capable of this ? I do not need super-quality (for this I have my TV ;) ), but only a decent video playback for sporadic use by my friends, who do not have a TV with VGA-in... :D
thanks

prr
22nd February 2002, 15:24
It's not a direct answer to Your Q, but I'm afraid the pure quality of the TV-out is not caused by the fact, that TV out D/A converter uses 16bit colors (BTW, how do You know it uses 16bit colors?).
Therefore dithering will not help You.

kvochur
22nd February 2002, 21:17
I tried many TV-outs (Voodoo3, S3, etc...) and mine is the worse. I am sure that it use 16bit colour, and the tech support of my notebook has CONFIRMED this, because my tv-out it is not designed for playing Video/DVD, but only for slides/presentations with solid colours (confirmed by tech support but not showed in advertising brochures nor in reviews of my notebook :angry:).

I think that dithering can solve my problem because if I show in my TV a 32bit photo looks horrible, but if I decrease the colour deep with photoshop (with error diffusion) at 16bit looks ok.

So this is a proof that dithering can solve my problem, but the question is if it is possibile dithering so fast to render 25fps while decompressing MPEG4, on a Celly 800Mhz........ :confused:

zambelli
27th February 2002, 07:57
I believe you're confusing 16-bit color and 16 color. If you're TV output was indeed 16-bit, the video quality should be excellent since most VfW apps and filters use 16 bit color anyway. If you don't believe me, I can send you screen shots from my computer - I am using 16-bit 1024x768 display and playing movies that look great.

Zhnujm
27th February 2002, 21:36
zambelli, for video playback your gfx-card uses a video overlay wich is always 32/24 bit, even if you switch your desktop to 8bit mode. to see how it really looks in 16bit mode load it in virtualdub and compare 16/32bit desktop.