PDA

View Full Version : Virtual VCR

digtv
16th February 2002, 08:14
I have been working on a Video capture application based on the DirectShow system. You can find out more information about it and also download the latest version from the following web site:

http://www.digtv.ws

The application is not feature packed but quite functional, I am making it available in the hope that some people will find it useful.

Some Feature of Virtual VCR

-Arbitrary resolution settings 480x576 etc.
-Compression codec selection (Video only)
-Smart Tea Preview for capturing and preview at full resolutions
-Can be used with Schedule tasks to capture at any time of the day
-Small, Fast and Free
-Real-time Capture stats including compression ratio, bytes sec etc

Shaun
info@digtv.ws
http://www.digtv.ws

Ookami
16th February 2002, 09:45
Thank you very much! You even have some very interesting VD filters... Great work!

Cheers,

Ookami.

Koepi
16th February 2002, 09:53
Nice idea, I was thinking of coding suhc a thing myself, but this way it's easier :)

Do you support "chained avi", e.g. using file.00.avi, file.01.avi,.. for capturing whole movies?

Regards,
Koepi

digtv
16th February 2002, 11:08
I developed this application on win2000 using the NTFS so file size is not an issue, I can succesfully capture 20 gig AVI files and do not need to roll over the capture file.

At the moment I have no plans to add multiple file capture support to the application, if this is a big issue let me know and I will look into it a little more.:)

Shaun

Koepi
16th February 2002, 11:14
No mater what OS I'm on, my data drive is FAT32 to be accessable from FreeBSD, Linux, Win2k, Win9x.

So i downloaded that prog for nothing. *grrr*

Well, virtualdub does a fantastic job on capturing, so I'll stick with it. I thought this was a new alternative... So I'll have to code my own app anyways. I simply need those dshow filters to be applied, deinterlace.sourceforge.net ...

Regards,
Koepi

digtv
16th February 2002, 11:24
Yes agreed, if you need all the functionality of VirtualDub then stick with it, this app was not meant to replace VirtualDub as it is a very feature packed application any application that would try to replace it would require years of development.

Virtual VCR is just another tool that you can use, if it does not fit your needs than there is no need to use it, it is small about 100K, so downloading it and giving it a try sould not be a problem.

Shaun

Koepi
16th February 2002, 12:00
Still plenty of users I know (most pro's) have FAT32 to capture to. So capturing to a new file after every 2 GB is essential for a useful capture app - but that's just IMO.
If you'd add that support I'd love to give it a try, since a small standalone ep would be nice as well. :)
Filtering can be done afterwoods as well, so it's no must to be in an application - that's just the idea why I want to code something on my own there as I can't use that nice deinterlace+noise DS filters within an application :/

Regards,
Koepi

Koepi
17th February 2002, 13:14
..any progress on that multiple file thing?

Regards,
Koepi

mkanar
17th February 2002, 16:28
-Using version 0.9.3.0
-WinXP
-NVidia WDM Capture

AWESOME application! Fits my needs very well. VirtualDub's lack of timed-recording and some other factors made it non-ideal; your application is perfect (and free!:)

One question. The main window is black when preview is off, just like I expect. When I turn preview on, the main window shows a preview, but a new window entitled 'activemovie window' pops up that also have the video stream displayed realtime. I can X/Close the activeMovie window out and then I have just the main window with the preview which is great, but lots of various functions will cause this activemovie window to pop up again, for example: at the end of capture, after opening up a dialog box and hitting 'ok', etc. Is this intended?

I'm grateful, and these are only suggestions:

A checkmark next to 'toggle stats' would be nice and it would be kind of cool if this setting stuck when the application was reloaded.

Is there a possibility to abort the capture by hitting escape or something along those lines?

Is there a command-line option or something to start capture automatically when the application loads? I only ask because you mentioned that timed-start capture could be done by using 'schedule tasks' and I'm trying to figure out how that would work.

Thanks!
MKanar

digtv
18th February 2002, 06:05
One question. The main window is black when preview is off, just like I expect. When I turn preview on, the main window shows a preview, but a new window entitled 'activemovie window' pops up that also have the video stream displayed realtime. I can X/Close the activeMovie window out and then I have just the main window with the preview which is great, but lots of various functions will cause this activemovie window to pop up again, for example: at the end of capture, after opening up a dialog box and hitting 'ok', etc. Is this intended?

No this is not intended.

What version of DirectX do you have installed?
What opperating System?

With the application running and the activeMovie window still open can use use Graphedit to connect to the running application and take a screenshot of the filtergraph produced?
Email me at info@digtv.ws with the details if you can. Thanks.

>A checkmark next to 'toggle stats' would be nice and it would be >kind of cool if this setting stuck when the application was reloaded.

Good idea I will add this to the next build

>Is there a possibility to abort the capture by hitting escape or >something along those lines?

Yes, escape will stop the capture.

>Is there a command-line option or something to start capture >automatically when the application loads? I only ask because you >mentioned that timed-start capture could be done by using 'schedule >tasks' and I'm trying to figure out how that would work.

If you start the application with:

virtualvcr.exe -capture

from the command line it will load and start capturing with the default settings. This is the same as if you started the app and then defore you did anything else hit capture.

henriQ
18th February 2002, 09:46
I've tried your application and average it as good plus.
The audio fixed spec is somewhat limitative though.
Personaly, i've used lots of different capture software
and, except for VirtualDub, the other unique choice for me
is FLYCAP.

HN

digtv
18th February 2002, 10:40
Yes, VirtualDub has many more features than Virtual VCR, I started Virtual VCR because I could not get VirtualDub working with my WDM drivers and the VFW drivers that come with my cap card were broken, the YUY2 colour format was broken.

I have made Virtual VCR publicly available as I though people might be interested in have one more option, having multiple options is a good thing.

I have been working on Virtual VCR now for about 3 months on and off and think it is at a point where it is useable, I use it for all my TV caps and it works very well.

Remember this app is not supposed to be the best app out there, it is worth trying and if it does not suit your needs then so be it.

I will be developing this app over the next few months adding more features and fixing bugs etc, I will be adding things like, Colour Histogram filter, audio levels display, A/V sync system, perhaps multiple file capture and some other stuff as well.

If people find this app helpful drop me an email at info@digtv.ws it is always good to get feedback, good or bad:)

Shaun

Koepi
18th February 2002, 11:30
Hehe, but it's so much easier to give you feedback here since you started that thread! :)

Nice to see that you picked up the multiple files suggestion. The only thing preventing me yet from trying your tiny proggi :)

Please, make it top of your ToDo list - shouldn't be too hard to check the reached size and fopen() a next file ;)

Thanks & best regards,
Koepi

takeru
20th February 2002, 08:35
using version 0.9.4.0
windows 2000 pro
nvidia wdm 1.08
asus 8200T2 deluxe

installed filters just fine. set capture file, devices, and input, etc.

video capture filter - video proc amp:
how come only brightness, contrast, hue, and saturation are enabled? sharpness, gamma, white balance, and backlight comp are not selectable. all of these which are quite important to me.

preview:
no preview, just a black window when turned on.

start capture:
doesn't capture any video at all. green preview window when capturing. playing back captured avi has sound only.

i know my wdm is set up right, as i can capture normally with powervcr. i wish i have a prog with ALL EIGHT of those video proc amp options enabled! :( white balance and stuff is way too high right now, even in powervcr.

digtv
20th February 2002, 10:00
Did you select a video compressor codec?

Could you connect to the running application using Graphedit and send me a screen shot of the capture graph and preview graph?

You are the second person with problems using the WDM drivers from nVidia, I do not have access to hardware that I can run these drivers on so debuging this problem is going to be difficult.

Shaun

takeru
20th February 2002, 20:08
yes, tried using a video compressor while capturing. still no difference. when i tried to open filters.grf in graphedit i get an error message. 'Some files that the filter graph uses are no longer available.' this is after re-installing the filters as well.

digtv
20th February 2002, 22:01
Open Graphedit and select insert filter, under "DirectShow Filters" see if you can find the following filters.

Histogram
Flow Meter

Try to add these filters and see what happens.

When you run the install.bat file in the filters firectory do you get any error messages?

Shaun

takeru
20th February 2002, 22:47
DllRegisterServer succeeeded for both files when installing. Under DirectShow filters only Flow Meter is listed. Histogram is nowhere to be found.

digtv
20th February 2002, 23:12
Oops my mistake, the filter name is "Colour Histogram"

It sounds like the filters are installed correctly.

Can you connect to the running application using Graphedit and take a screen shot of the result?

Shaun

takeru
21st February 2002, 00:09
just sent you graph during capturing avi to info@digtv.ws

mkanar
21st February 2002, 06:09
digtv:

I moved my GeForce 2 MX/400 VIVO to another WinXP system. I installed the latest official NVidia Detonator Drivers (23.11) and the latest WDM for the video in stuff (WDM v1.08). I still get the extra ActiveMovie window. However, it is probably fair to say that it has something to do with the NVidia drivers and not my particular system setup; this new WinXP system also has a Pinnacle Systems DC10+ MJPEG capture card in it with some recent but very good beta drivers. Anyhow, when I select this card from Video VCR, I do get the preview but not the extra preview/ActiveMovie window popup. The frames are choppy, but that's probably Pinnacle's fault.

I also crashed Video VCR when I selected my audio card....but then I realized that I hadn't yet installed your FlowMeter.AX, whatever that is. :) Anyhow, I registered flowmeter.ax and then the audio worked.

One feature request that I cannot help but ask for as it is somehow driving me mad: adding an 'X' (close window) button to the top-right of the 'Capture Stats' window. I know that I can click 'View:Toggle Stats', but somehow I'm always trying to 'X' the window away.

Anyhow, thanks again!

MKanar

digtv
21st February 2002, 07:19
There is not a lot I can do regarding the nVidia driver problem I am sorry to say, I do not have access to the harware to do any testing on it. I am glad it worked with the DC10+, I would be interested to see the created filtergraph when previewing and when capturing with the DC10+.

I also crashed Video VCR when I selected my audio card

Virtual VCR should not crash in this situation, did you get an error message or did it just drop out of the programm all together?

adding an 'X' (close window) button to the top-right of the 'Capture Stats' window.

Yes this can be done.

Shaun

Koepi
21st February 2002, 13:44
...still no "capture to segmented avi" feature :(

Why aren't you implementing it? I could post a simple source snippet that would do the job, it's no big deal?

Regards,
Koepi

digtv
21st February 2002, 20:55
By all means if you have some sample code post it here, I have mainly been working on bug fixes over the last week. I would like to get this version as stable as possible before adding major new features.

Koepi
22nd February 2002, 00:57
Just a quick, short eply, sorry for not having the time now:

I took a look at virtualVCR and it seems to be a modified amcap (directX sample).

So the app builds a graph with a filewriter at the end.
you have to inroduce a
__int64 totalsize=0;
int segmentnr=1;
and add the length of every encoded frame to it (the compressor should return the encoded frame's size).
when totalsize is > (segmentnr*2097152) (bytes, this is exactly 2GB, maybe a little less wouldn't do any harm...), then disconnect the filewriter and connect a new one with the filename "blahblah.<segmentnr>.avi"(the first avi should be called this way as well in segmented avi mode). Maybe you don't need a new filewriter but can change the filename... didn't look into the filewriter too deeply.

You should notice that new segments should start with a keyframe, so either force the compressor to produce one (hard way) or note that in the readme file (e.g. with MJPEG or HUFFYUV it shouldn't be a problem).

Regards,
Koepi

alkasecond
3rd March 2002, 01:36
I'm back to your app after running in circles throuh almost every
capture program out there.
VirtualVCR IS THE BEST .
Vdub (no overlay for YU2,dropped frames in Huffyuv 640x480 etc.)
uVCR (massive synch issues, general feeling of instability ie
you never know what it is gonna happen next)
FlyDS (I'm still very impressed ,Excelent app just not ready yet.
it needs at least 2 more releases before I'll check it again).

I dont have any of this in VirtualVCR!! KUDOS.
BTW. how do I set default Capture resolution for 640x480?(I mean
Program starts with that setting allready).

Thanks again.

My specs :WindowsXP , P4 1.6A@2.4GHz.

digtv
3rd March 2002, 04:20
You can set a custom video setting for the video size and FSP under the customer settings, this will be stored when the app is closed and reloaded next time you open the app. You need to set the use custome settings for these settings to be used.

Shaun

alkasecond
3rd March 2002, 17:18
Thanks for the info.
I see people are asking you to implement spanning of output file
accros multiple 2GB parts.
I say dont bother with it.
Here's my reasonong:
Only reason for it is if you're capturing on FAT32 file system.
If indeed you do good chances are you're running Win9x os.
Under Win9x family you can use VFW capture programs (Vdub anyone).
There is multitude of them.
Changing to DS you see a different picture , we really need
small , stable capture app that doesn't go through wrappers etc.
The smaller it will be the less chances anything goes wrong.
Bloatware is so aboundant these days.
To make it short :Win9x - use Vdub , Win2k(XP)-have NTFS and dont
need spanning , If you run Win2k(XP) on FAT32 why dont you convert?

ps.
For these quick and dirty straight to divix captures ,
audio comression would be nice.

digtv
4th March 2002, 05:08
I hope to add audio compression in the next release, due out in a few weeks.

I just released 0.9.5.0 a few days ago.

Shaun

mkanar
4th March 2002, 22:48
v0.9.4.0 => ActiveMovie Window Popped Up

v0.9.5.0 => ActiveMovie Window No Longer Pops Up!

Also...

When I select 'Preview Histogram', I get msgbox 'Error Adding the Preview Histogram." Fine, no big deal. I then set the capture file and get this error message again because the option is still checked 'on.' Also, when setting the 'capture file', the 'file type' is set to 'Microsoft AVI', but when I enter a filename without any extension, .AVI is not automatically added. Windows programs typically add the extension of the listed 'file type' automatically, unless of course it is set to 'all files.'

Thanks!
MKanar

Koepi
5th March 2002, 00:56
Thanks alkasecond, I'm really a dumbass!
Why not simply converting my partitions to NTSC! It's so compativble and accessable from all OSes!

You're right of course. All people that have to use more than one OS are prolly too dumb.

Don't bother with splittet avi segments.

Loose the support of some pro's.

Regards,
Koepi

arthurfent2k
5th March 2002, 01:13
Yeah, why bother converting to NTSC when NTFS is so much easier :D

But you´re right, I use a Dualboot Win98/XP and can´t afford to convert my Capture-Partition (the biggest one, of course, 40 Gigs) to NTFS and lose the space under Win98 as I then have no more Room for just anything else :-(

Koepi
5th March 2002, 01:40
That was an intentional error, arthur :)

digtv
5th March 2002, 02:09
Did you installed the filters in the filters directory?

You need to run the install.bat file in the filters directory to install the Histogram filter before you can use it.

Shaun

alkasecond
5th March 2002, 02:42
May I ask you double(triple)booters why dont you do your captures
in win9x then? Dont you like Vdub?
To me Vdub has too many features to be stable as capture app.
Dont get me wrong , I love it , just not for capture.
Thats why I say again KEEP IT SIMPLE DIGTV please.
Win2k(xp) with NTFS is way superior to 9x/fat oses and deserves
good stable native capture app.
Excelent work digtv.

ps.
you guys can convert all your partitions to SECAM for what I care.

Koepi
5th March 2002, 02:46
what's unstable about a switchable multisegement capture mode?

Well, since the developer isn't reacting on user input I'll drop this. Even Avery Lee is way nicer when it comes to such things...

If you don't care, why should I?

alkasecond
5th March 2002, 03:08
I dont get it Koepi , what do you want?
Aren't you happy that you can use Vdub for capture?
I CAN NOT , because I'm strictly xp.
Do you expect digitv to write another Vdub in few days?
Why ? The one that we have is excellent at what it does.
I said this allready and I say it again.
THERE IS A NEED FOR SMALL STABLE DS BASED CAPTURE APP.
Smell the future.
NTFS is here , more and more people have it and fewer and fewer
will use FAT32.

jako77
5th March 2002, 08:29
Curiously, VirtuaVCR did not succeed to "initialize" WDM drivers (pinnacle's)whereas iuvcr managed to do it as well as flyds. However, after having initialized WDM drivers, VirtualVCR seemed to work.

digtv
5th March 2002, 10:38
I have a pinnacle PCTV (PCI) card, I have tested the Virtual VCR app with the Beta Pinnacle WDM Drivers available from the Pinnacle site and also the open WDM drivers for the BT8X8 chip from the following site:

http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/

Both drivers work fine for me under Windows 2000. The only thing that does not work is that with the open btwincap drivers I can not get the TV tuner working.

Shaun

jako77
5th March 2002, 10:47
In France SECAM is the TV standard. For my part, I did not manage to tune with none of these drivers.
Could this be linked to my problem ?
I usually choose the channel by using Dscaler which has its own internal driver.

Koepi
5th March 2002, 11:13
Alkasecond,
it sounds to me as if you don't WANT to get it.
I use w2k for capturing, using WDM drivers.
I'd love to use a small app as well.

Still, having segmented mode doesn't break anything. I even gave some hints how to do that properly.

But other as you as user just care for your own needs, using your ellbows to fight for it, I do care for what the people need.

Since digtv isn't going to add that, and you're insisting of keeping your "digtv community" down to some 50 people, do whatever you want.

I always give the people a chance and then another one. I tried it here some more times, no reaction, - for me it's a dead end and I don't like to get barked at.

Very annoyed,
Koepi

digtv
5th March 2002, 11:42
Hi Koepi

Don't take this so seriously, so I did not add your feature in the first week that the app was made publicly available. To be honest with you I was not going to release Virtual VCR at all to the public.

I originally wrote it to capture video from my PCTV card using the Beta WDM driver from the Pinnacle site. I found the app stable enough and usable enough to put on a web site and then I started getting requests for changes.

I have added a few requested features and am yet to get around to adding some others. Like I said I wrote this app for my own private use not for anyone in particular, this means that any feature I add I would want to use, at the moment I do not need multi segment capture thus it has not made it into the app.

I do not care how many people use this app, I just wanted people to have one more options when it came to playing with video capture.

If anyone out there has a need for a specific feature and you can not get people to listen I suggest you download the DirectX SDK and start playing, that is were I started. The DirectX SDK has some cool examples to get you started and once you get the hang of it you can do quite a lot. You probably need to know Win32 Dev and C++ though.

I am not going to get into the FAT32 / NTFS argument, all I will say on this topic is that FAT32 is not dead yet and people are still using it for whatever reason. I do not use it and do not see any reason why I should use it, I am happy with NTFS and that is where I am going to stay.

Shaun

mkanar
5th March 2002, 18:27
I'm getting dropped frames when the preview window is maximized. This surprises me because I think that video overlay is being used ... doesn't video overlay have a function to automatically stretch?

Thanks,
MKanar

NVidia GeForce2/MX400 VIVO
on AthlonXP 1700 (1.47GHz)

Kb_cruncher
8th March 2002, 14:33
i havent seen anywhere in this thread a mention of AVI_IO.
this is by far the best capture prog i have ever used and it splits the output.

KOEPI
i'll even post it if you like.

alkasecond
9th March 2002, 02:46
Hi.
I was just playing with new divix5 codec.
What I notticed is that audio is getting progressively out of sync.
Changing master stream to audio or video makes it better but not
perfect.
After ~5min they definitely out of sync.
I did not notice anything like that in previous version of Vvcr.
Could it be because I was capturing using mjpeg codec?
I think that I have fast enough machine P4@2.13GHz to be able to
capture both audio and video in sync.
What do you think is it the codec's fault or previous version of
Vvcr was somehow faster?
I'm gonna run some mjpeg tests right now and post results.

alkasecond
9th March 2002, 02:59
Mjpeg captures are still fine.
I guess straight do divix at 640x480 has to wait for 3GHz+ CPU.

digtv
9th March 2002, 03:21
When you were capturing using the DivX 5 codec did you get any dropped frames?

Dropped frames will cause big problems for audio video sync.

Shaun

alkasecond
9th March 2002, 03:28
Sorry no droped frames.
But dont worry the important captures I do in mjpeg anyway.

hyc
11th March 2002, 20:15
OK, so what's a proper graph supposed to look like? When I try to use this with my DV Bridge it only picks up the video. Sorry for no screenshot, I'll get one later if you need it. The graph is built with

DV Camera/VCR Vid Out -> Smart Tee Cap -> Smart Tea Cap -> DV Video Decoder -> Video Renderer

The DV source has both a "Video Out" and an "A/V Out". To get audio, you have to leave the "Video Out" unconnected, and use the DV Splitter on the A/V Out. For viewing purposes, this works for me:

DV Camera/VCR A/V Out -> DV Splitter Video -> DV Video Decoder -> Video Renderer
DV Splitter Audio -> Default DirectSound Dev.

I can capture this straight into the AVI Mux, but it uses too much disk space...

rinkel
8th May 2002, 15:46
Very neat little program...
I have a request...
Is it possible to create a program list and rec-schedule in it (start time/date and stop time/date).. so i can use it like a real VCR ??
I now use PowerVCR, but i don't not need all that and i don't like the interface of powerVCR

If you would built that, would be VERY GREAT..

digtv
8th May 2002, 23:34
Here is some info on how to use the Task Schedular to set up timed captures
in Virtual VCR

http://www.digtv.ws/html/virtualvcr/timed.php

You can also now use the -channel "10" command line option to start the VCR on a particular channel.

Shaun

Mole
9th May 2002, 07:18
I'm also getting video/audio desync after a few minutes.

No dropped frames at all. Also using DivX5.

Capturing at resolution 384x288@25 from PAL TV.

Might be something about DivX5. Gonna try other codecs to see what the problem is.

Since alkasecond tried with Mjpeg and they're fine, I'm suspecting that the audio/video desync might be a problem (bug?) with the DivX5 codec.

So far, I like your program very much! It's very easy to use and does it's job.

Would there be any chance you could add a feature so we could choose audio compression as well?

Mole
9th May 2002, 17:09
OK, after a few trials, the audio/video desync apparently happens only when you skip the movie.

If you play the movie continuously, everything will be sync.

digtv
9th May 2002, 23:26
It sounds like a play back problem then, I do not have much experience with DivX 5 thus can not comment on this behaviour, I normally capture using PIC Video MJPEG codec.

ivan_alias
10th May 2002, 22:18
I like this little program. It's cool and works well :)

LordDethstar
11th May 2002, 11:01
I've tried this program, too, and together with the tweaked Brooktree 8x8 drivers I've found I can finally ditch Windows 98 (thank god). However, support for segmented AVI files would still be nice... :D

ivan_alias
11th May 2002, 12:19
I can finally capture 768x576 on my 700 mhz Athlon :)

Its cool.

Don't care for segmented avis though :p NTFS all the way baby. Gave up dual boot when I got Win 2K and moved my linux setup to its own machine.

StephLG
13th May 2002, 10:38
Hi all,

a short survey: are there people here successfully using Virtual VCR with a GeForce 3 video card as a capture card (mine is an ASUS V8200 Geforce 3 Ti200)? I've already mailed 'digtv' about my problem and I thank him for his quick answer but I thought I may gather information from here.
I'm using nVidia's latest Detonator (28.32) and WDM (1.08) drivers under Win2K SP2 (NTFS). I try to capture in NTSC 720x480 using HuffYuv 2.11 (but I also tried other codecs, in vain). The sound is captured but there's no video at all. Even the preview doesn't work. It's like if there was no video flow. The preview turns from black to green when trying to capture and that's it.
The DirectShow filters are correctly installed (done it manually). AVI_IO, using this very same card and drivers, works like a charm (except the fact that it splits avi in 2Gb segments and I HATE that!).

Are there other people facing the same problem? Does someone have a clue?

Thanks,
Steph.

Skiro
17th May 2002, 23:05
Very fine little program...
I like to use it..
I have a request...
Is it possible to add an option not only "record" and "stop", but
also "pause".
This I ask because of commercial and with this option you can spare
HD space alot.

alkasecond
18th May 2002, 04:55
I just did extensive batch of tests using the latests sourceforge
drivers and still I get audio/video synch problems.
From higher to lesser.
Divix5 640x480:
2000kb/s'YUY2;
2000KB/s YUY2 + AV Sync
2000KB/s YV12
2000KB/s YV12+ AV sync
But still not perfect.

ph2t
21st May 2002, 10:12
Gotta say that this is a great app, but I also get av sync issues. The capture (as time goes on) slowly gets out of sync. I've set the audio stream to Master and this is the best I can get. Without audio set to master it goes out of sync a lot earlier.

I have no problems in FlyDS.

I'm using a Flyvideo98'FM card along with the 5.2.9 Btwincap drivers.

Regards,

Ph2t.

alkasecond
7th June 2002, 02:48
It is still a great app and worth to keep talking about.
First time I see somebody going boldly into legacy , dos ,fat and
other limitations free application.
The way I see it modern oses like xp ,2k, are not the favorites among
programmers writing AV processing apps.
I just hope that will change (cause it's unlikely that we'll go back to 9x
scheme just for capture sake)

Koepi
7th June 2002, 10:10
Alkasecond,

[rants deleted]

Sorry, I didn't cope well with this "it suites my needs and I am the standard at which all things should be orientated"-attitude.

Wasn't meant insulting.

digtv
7th June 2002, 13:18
Hi ph2t

Try the new version (1.1.6) and use the AV sync option under the video Capture menu, this is supposed to fix AV sync issues.

Let me know if it works for you. I don't get to come here and read these forums very often so the best way to get back to me is email at info@digtv.ws

Shaun

alkasecond
8th June 2002, 04:05
Originally posted by Koepi
Alkasecond,

[rants deleted]

Sorry, I didn't cope well with this "it suites my needs and I am the standard at which all things should be orientated"-attitude.

Wasn't meant insulting.

I dont get this as an insult at all , after all ,all we talk about is
a little (nice) capture app.
"gotta love that 'all'"

bryanh
26th July 2002, 03:39
Originally posted by StephLG
Hi all,

a short survey: are there people here successfully using Virtual VCR with a GeForce 3 video card

Well I cannot comment on a GF3, but I have a GF2 Xtast Everything and cannot get VirtualVCR to work with it. (Running on W2k) Same problem as you (black screen which turns green during capture).

:(

What a shame. I REALLY need a capture program that does not break apart the file at certain sizes. The card came with WINDvr which has a 4 gig file limit.

Bryan

mkanar
26th July 2002, 04:48
bryanh:

http://www-user.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~dittrich/sync/

VirtualDub has the option to split the capture files, but this feature is turned off by default. It is free, and the modified version that can be found at the website that I listed even compensates for the inacuracies of the sound card. Now somebody just needs to update virtualdub to do timed recordings...

bb
26th July 2002, 07:16
A VDub version including a capture timer has existed for a long time:

http://www.virtualdub.net

(German site, but english VDub version)

Unfortunately it does not have the advanced synching; maybe someone will merge the two versions one day...

bb

bryanh
26th July 2002, 14:14
Originally posted by mkanar
bryanh:

http://www-user.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~dittrich/sync/

VirtualDub has the option to split the capture files, but this feature is turned off by default. It is free, and the modified version that can be found at the website that I listed even compensates for the inacuracies of the sound card. Now somebody just needs to update virtualdub to do timed recordings...

Ummm - perhaps you miss-understood. I do NOT want to split the files. This is why I was interested in VirtualVCR. I only run W2K and ALL my partitions are NTFS (with the exception of my Ghost partition-but that's a whole different story). Anyway the spliting of the file is the reason I dislike the software that came with my card (WinDVR), but I want timed recording. So it looks like I will stick with WinDVR until I find something else.

Bryan

mkanar
26th July 2002, 16:38
bryanh: No, I understood you. My point is, use the time-recording capable version of VirtualDub (thanks bb!) and leave the file-split feature turned OFF. Isn't that what you want?

AVI_IO is also good and popular, but it is not free.

kitanai
11th July 2004, 10:34
When saving profiles or the defaults in Virtual VCR, the "Video Capture Pin" settings is never saved. It alsways falls back to 29.970-UYVY-320x240.

This leaves Virtual VCR useless for timed capturing.

I already checked if files are read-only.
Can anyone help on this issue???

Also started DigTV-Forum Thread... (http://virtualvcr.sourceforge.net/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=863&)

And another question about capturing format:
The max. size is 720x576 for me. Is that the limit of my Pinnacle PCTV or the limit of VirtualVCR?

Arachnotron
11th July 2004, 11:41
And another question about capturing format:
The max. size is 720x576 for me. Is that the limit of my Pinnacle PCTV or the limit of VirtualVCR?

that is a driver limit. I can go higher with my card in vvcr.

kitanai
11th July 2004, 15:11
That's good to know, thanks.

How about the profile saving problem - any ideas on that?

Arachnotron
11th July 2004, 16:28
I change those settings on the video tab using the 'use custom settings' tab. If I save them there they stick.

A wild guess is that if you go through the 'device' tab, devices, video capture pin instead, vvcr is merely providing a shortcut to the directshow driver interface, so you are in effect leaving virtualVCR.

If so, you would have to change the system default settings for the driver and in that case, these settings would become the default for any directshow app that did not have any defaults of it's own.

Settings like that would be set on driver install and would be buried somewhere in the registry depending on your specific hardware. Micsosoft's MSDN would be a good place to start looking.

That is just a guess though.

kitanai
12th July 2004, 10:30
Originally posted by Arachnotron
I change those settings on the video tab using the 'use custom settings' tab. If I save them there they stick.That's it!!! Many thanks. I can even capture at 768x576, now :D

kitanai
15th July 2004, 14:36
If my custom settings differ from the abilities of my TV to card, what will the result be?
I am offered 720x576 as the highest recording value in "video capture pin". Now, I set a value of 768x576 at "Use Custom Settings".

It records fine. But what happens here, since the driver does not seem to offer that resolution? Interpolation, resizing... :confused:

Any ideas on this?

Posted at vvcr-forum, but no one ever answers there, it's quite useless :(
http://virtualvcr.sourceforge.net/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=867&

Arachnotron
16th July 2004, 11:01
If my custom settings differ from the abilities of my TV to card, what will the result be?
I am offered 720x576 as the highest recording value in "video capture pin". Now, I set a value of 768x576 at "Use Custom Settings".

It records fine. But what happens here, since the driver does not seem to offer that resolution? Interpolation, resizing.. Interpolation and resizing are basically the same thing. Every card basically grabs at a fixed high resolution and resizes that to the requested resolution by interpolation. See the analogue capture guide for more on this stuff (especially chapters 5 and 10).

It is not that the driver does not offers this resolution, but for some reason the interface does not. I have no idea why that should be.

smallfryg0d
19th July 2010, 21:28
Whenever I try to record something say off the GameCube it doesn't record audio. The audio doesn't even show up in the preview. I think it's because of the devise that is being used by the program but that's the only one there. I would really like to know how to fix this. Thank you.