PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new section

ChristianHJW
13th February 2002, 12:18
Hi all,

a warm and friendly welcome from my side also ! My thanks goes to Doom9 for creating this section here and Blacksun to join me as mod, i hope we will serve you right ;) ..

To give you a quick overwiew about what we will be doing here. Because i am a lazy bum i copied and pasted this from another news site where it was posted recently :

Those of you who know me are certainly aware that i left DivX.com some time ago to join Blacksun on Powerdivx.com as team member and admin. Main aim of this wonderful site is to supply extended service to all users of the PowerDivX player, concerning how to use the player, chasing bugs, general video encoding questions, etc. and of course to help with development of the new version PowerDivX 4 !

Blacksun allowed me to create a section dealing specifically with the creation of a new A/V format ( http://www.powerdivx.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=13 ), because i am convinced that the good old AVI format has seen the end of its days due to its well known limitations. We were lucky as some experts showed interest and started posting there on a regular basis, giving great input, and in the end we had two excellent coders making our board as their home to discuss their format implementation :

1. Tobias Waldvogel, a German living in Spain, had launched muxing tools and DirectShowFilter for the 1st implementation of Monty's ( www.xiph.org ) Ogg Container format ( http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q5045045/ ). By chance one of our senior members, S_O, found the link and posted it in our forums. Right now we have a big hype going on about this tools, even one of the well know internet rippers, called Vite, launched his 1st rips in Ogg format including Vorbis audio recently. Tobias' is still very active and promised to launch subtitles support and a multichannel capable Vorbis DSF soon ...... we are proud to say that maybe a little bit of this wonderful success is going back to the work of the powerdivx.com beta testing team, and we hope that Tobias will give us many more new tools we may test and advertise.
What's more to add to this success story ? ..... do i have to mention that our master everwicked will be hosting Tobias' here soon ? .......

2. ingoralfblum, coder of the MediaXW Vorbis DSF, gave a link to Tronic's homepage ( http://solidhardware.com/sn/?tmf ) containing the specs of a wonderful new A/V format being based on suggestions of Avery Lee, the godfather of AVI and coder of Virtualdub.
Compared to the Ogg format, being a general container for almost everything, this format is very much defined in every single aspect and thus ensures great compatibility, loads of features and even enhanced editability. I personally would love to see this new format moving and i had organized a chat recently ( where ? at everwicked.com of course ) where some honourable members and experienced coders came together to define extensions, parser structure, etc. Tronic promised a 1st alpha of a muxer to come soon..... i will kepp you informed ....
The name of the new format was finally decided to be Multimedia Container Format ( MCF ) , extensions will be .mcv ( video or video+audio ), .mva ( audio only ) , .mcm ( general media content ), .mcfv ( like .mcv ) and .mcfa ( like .mca ).
It will support every known audio and video codec, multiple audio and video streams, extended subtitles capabilities, etc. ... read the specs at Tronic's hoempage ( see above ).

I hope to see you here more often to bring the new format to a success .... i am convinced we can reach this goal with your support !!