PDA

View Full Version : MKV Embed

naszdom
4th December 2011, 22:19
I have no previous experience with MKV files. I have always converted them to xvid. But with a new TV I tried to embed srt subtitles into an MKV file using MKVtoolnix.

However whenever I go near the file I get "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and then the PC crashes. I had to erase the folder.

I have done it three times all with the same result. The third time I outputted it straight to a USB stick but my TV would not recognise it although it had no problem with the original.

The original MKV file already has English subtitles embedded. I wanted to add Polish.

I am using windows 7.

I presume it is a codec conflict but I would not know.

Any ideas

sneaker_ger
4th December 2011, 23:08
This is probably a problem of the DivX filters and a Matroska feature called "header removal compression". You can deactivate it in mkvmerge GUI's options by ticking the "disable header removal compression for audio and video tracks by default", and after that reopening and remuxing the files.
You might want to deinstall DivX while you're at it, to avoid any future crashes.

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/faq.html#header_removal_compression

5th December 2011, 01:46
The original MKV file already has English subtitles embedded. I wanted to add Polish.
I have to ask...how did you make this MKV or where did you get it?

Chetwood
5th December 2011, 06:40
This is probably a problem of the DivX filters and a Matroska feature called "header removal compression".
Unlikely since it's default setting is "off" since various versions.

sneaker_ger
5th December 2011, 06:54
That is not true, the only thing that was added is that checkbox in the options, sparing you from having to manually turn it off every single time for each track. But you still have to tick that box once after a fresh install.

naszdom
5th December 2011, 15:48
My setting was not off but disabling "header removal compression" did not work. It still crashed.

However when I re-opened the programme "disable header removal compression" was un-ticked again

5th December 2011, 16:46
Temporarily closing until OP resolves rule 6 concern. Please send me a PM with your answer to my question.