PDA

View Full Version : Possible to convert RGB colorspace x264 videos to an edit-friendly format?

chilledinsanity
30th November 2011, 06:01
I make videos that use a RGB colorspace and I was hoping to use x264 encoding to archive them and save some space (as opposed to storing them losslessly, which would take a lot more room).

I've been successful making x264 MKV encodings using the RGB colorspace, but for the life of me I can't convert them back to something I can edit (like uncompressed AVI). I've tried using ffmpeg and mencoder, but I've had different errors in all my attempts. Does anyone have suggestions on what I can try?

hello_hello
30th November 2011, 06:32
When you say you can't convert them back to something you can edit, which formats/methods are the something's you've tried? Are you wanting to re-encode after editing?

Opening the MKVs via DirectShow using VirtualDubMod would be the simplest method. Did we discuss this in another thread? If you have AVISynth installed and you can't open MKVs that way then maybe you should look at fixing the problem. Once you get that working you can do some more clever stuff such as creating a DirectShow script which opens the MKV, wrap the script into an AVI, open the AVI with VirtualDub for editing, then save it as a new AVI which can be re-encoded, and all without having to convert the MKV to a lossless format first.

You can open an MKV using MeGUI, create a script for re-encoding it, then use MeGUI's script cutter to add edits before encoding. It has a preview window but it's probably not ideal for complex editing.

AVIDemux (http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/)? I can't say I've really used it myself.

nevcairiel
30th November 2011, 08:19
ffmpeg only just recently got support for RGB in H264, you might want to checkout a recent git build.

chilledinsanity
3rd December 2011, 09:25
hello_hello: Yes, I did have another thread, but I was a little less focused on that one, sorry for bouncing around. Also the vitualdub solution never worked for me, it kept coming up with "missing codec" for trying to open x264 content in it.

nevcairiel: This appears to be working 100%! Thanks a bunch for the information. Here's my command line for anyone else interested:

ffmpeg -i test.mkv -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt bgr24 test.avi