PDA

View Full Version : About the selection button

srfscenar
11th October 2011, 09:21
Hi all,

In most BDs (HDMV) that has in settings for e.g. many languages to choose from, the selection button stays on.
What I mean, lets say that you want to choose the English subtitles from many. When you go over that language, the selection button is for e.g. a white dot and when you activate it it turns into a red dot BUT that red dot stays on until you select another language so the user knows what he has selected.
I believe that is too common for you guys but I never had to choose from many different subs.

What is the way to do that?
Can you tell me hot to do that? How should the page be designed and what about the authoring?

And one more thing, I read before that if we have for e.g. one feature and one trailer and the feature has 4 subtitles and the trailer has only one,
do I have to put under the trailer another 3 BLANK subtitles to match the number of the feature or whatever video has the most?

Is that true?

Thank you!

Ghitulescu
11th October 2011, 09:35
And one more thing, I read before that if we have for e.g. one feature and one trailer and the feature has 4 subtitles and the trailer has only one,
do I have to put under the trailer another 3 BLANK subtitles to match the number of the feature or whatever video has the most?

Is that true?
Not necessarily. It depends on how you authored that BD.

srfscenar
11th October 2011, 09:40
Not necessarily. It depends on how you authored that BD.

Thanks!
I basically set a gprm value for each language and then check the value and loads the appropriate language at the commands of the feature.
Although its working, how does it sounds?

mp3dom
11th October 2011, 09:56
What is the way to do that?
Can you tell me hot to do that? How should the page be designed and what about the authoring?

You can do it in two different ways. The more 'elegant' but difficult way is to use 2 buttons on the same BOG (one with the dots and the other without). Only one button can be visible at time so you 'enable' the button you want. The drawback is that also the navigation needs virtual buttons because you can't go directly to a '2 state' button (you need to check which of the 2 states needs to be visible).
The other easier way is to design multiple pages with each possibility (if you have 2 languages and 2 subtitles, you design 4 pages). Basically when the user choose a language, you check the actual language/subtitle in use and go to the right page.

Not needed, if you store the audio/subtitle in use prior of playing the extra, you can have extras with 1 audio only. When you leave the extra you set again the audio/language previously selected and then go to the topmenu. TopMenu is suggested to have all the dummy audio/subs

I basically set a gprm value for each language and then check the value and loads the appropriate language at the commands of the feature.
This can work, but not in all cases. For example if the user change audio/subtitles with the remote during the movie you have a value in GPR that doesn't match what's currently in use (unless you update the GPR when the user leave the movie)

srfscenar
11th October 2011, 10:11
You can do it in two different ways. The more 'elegant' but difficult way is to use 2 buttons on the same BOG (one with the dots and the other without). Only one button can be visible at time so you 'enable' the button you want. The drawback is that also the navigation needs virtual buttons because you can't go directly to a '2 state' button (you need to check which of the 2 states needs to be visible).
I think thats the best solution, otherwise there are going to be too many pages...!
But, can you please be a bit more detailed on how to achieve that?

TopMenu is suggested to have all the dummy audio/subs
So if I have 4 subs and 2 audios in my Feature, in TopMenu I should have 4 dummy Subs and 2 dummy Audios also?

srfscenar
11th October 2011, 10:12
This can work, but not in all cases. For example if the user change audio/subtitles with the remote during the movie you have a value in GPR that doesn't match what's currently in use (unless you update the GPR when the user leave the movie)

So, what is your way of doing it?
Thanks...

srfscenar
11th October 2011, 15:24
The more 'elegant' but difficult way is to use 2 buttons on the same BOG (one with the dots and the other without). Only one button can be visible at time so you 'enable' the button you want. The drawback is that also the navigation needs virtual buttons because you can't go directly to a '2 state' button (you need to check which of the 2 states needs to be visible).

I would appreciate if anyone would give me instructions how to achieve that. Step by step would be nice...!

Thanks!

mp3dom
11th October 2011, 15:46
Doing a re-up of your post is not a good method to obtain support (see rule 12).
Step by step guide is quite difficult. The process is very long and probably screenshots would be more helpful but it require times.
If you're in hurry you can do the multi-page way. The quick way to use multi-page is to create a single page with buttons with animation (rather than animation, you simply use the multi-state images so i.e. a button with normal state - N0 - without dots, and N1 with dots ). Then copy/paste the page multiple times (to create the multi-page). Then you access to the buttons and remove the unneeded buttons animation.

If you forcefully want to use single page and multi-state buttons, the best and quick way to learn it is to access to your Sonic account (if you're using Scenarist) and freely download the Project Template for Scenarist 5.2. It's a complete authoring project which manage the audio/subtitle selection exactly in that way.

srfscenar
12th October 2011, 11:49
Doing a re-up of your post is not a good method to obtain support (see rule 12).
Step by step guide is quite difficult. The process is very long and probably screenshots would be more helpful but it require times.
If you're in hurry you can do the multi-page way. The quick way to use multi-page is to create a single page with buttons with animation (rather than animation, you simply use the multi-state images so i.e. a button with normal state - N0 - without dots, and N1 with dots ). Then copy/paste the page multiple times (to create the multi-page). Then you access to the buttons and remove the unneeded buttons animation.

If you forcefully want to use single page and multi-state buttons, the best and quick way to learn it is to access to your Sonic account (if you're using Scenarist) and freely download the Project Template for Scenarist 5.2. It's a complete authoring project which manage the audio/subtitle selection exactly in that way.

Thanks a lot mp3dom!
I will check the Project template and give it a try!

Never intended anything from rule 12.
I respect everyone who helps in this forum and trust me many of us wouldn't be were we are if we didn't have your help.

Thanks again!

rik1138
12th October 2011, 22:08

And easier way to do this is have the indicator be separate from the button itself. For example:
English X
Spanish
French

Where the words themselves are the actual buttons, and next to each of them is a button with an X, and one with nothing. So your navigation is still simple links to the text buttons, and you have some code to enable/disable the X graphics appropriately

Of course, sometimes the design of the graphics doesn't allow for this, but if you have the ability to make suggestions, that's what I'd do. Especially if you have 10 or 20 subtitles, making all the dummy buttons can really be a pain... :rolleyes:

Hi all,

Is that true?

This only needs to be done on the Main Menu back ground video (if you allow the user to resume the video they last played).

Otherwise, all audio/subtitles can be tracked with GPRs...

I was about to suggest this... Sonic has an example project of how to do this. It's fairly complicated, and much easier to understand when you see it in a project rather than trying to read how to do it. I never fully got what they were telling me to do until I saw it in Scenarist already working... :)

srfscenar
12th October 2011, 23:04
And easier way to do this is have the indicator be separate from the button itself. For example:
English X
Spanish
French

Where the words themselves are the actual buttons, and next to each of them is a button with an X, and one with nothing. So your navigation is still simple links to the text buttons, and you have some code to enable/disable the X graphics appropriately
Hi rik,
So i create 3 buttons for each language, one is the actual text (the real butt), one is the X beside and one blank (without X).
And everytime i select a language i have the line that loads that language and add one more line that enables or disables the X. Am i correct?
Can you please tell me which command is for enabling the other butts? (the X and the blank?)
Thanks!

rik1138
14th October 2011, 01:08
Hi rik,
So i create 3 buttons for each language, one is the actual text (the real butt), one is the X beside and one blank (without X).
And everytime i select a language i have the line that loads that language and add one more line that enables or disables the X. Am i correct?
Can you please tell me which command is for enabling the other butts? (the X and the blank?)
Thanks!

It's the EnableButton command... :cool:

Since you can only have one button in any BOG enabled at a time, all you have to do is enable the one you want (the others will automatically disable). Also, the top most button will be the default 'enabled', so put your off-state button in first (the blank one in this example), and the on-state second. That way all of your languages are 'off' by default, and you just have to enable the one you want.

Now that I'm typing this, I remember the one hassle with programming this way- you may not know which one is currently enabled... So the first thing you do is enable the off-state on _all_ of the buttons, then enable the on-state of the one you want to turn on. Or, carefully program it so you remember the previous state so you know what to turn on and off...

srfscenar
22nd November 2011, 16:20
...and here we are again!!!

One last question.
I managed to do everything I wanted except one small (H U G E)
detail.

When I go to my settings menu and select what ever stream I want it changes to the "active" button without problems.
All the navigation in the settings page is fine.
So, lets say that I select the 2nd audio stream and the 3rd subtitle. After pressing the menu it loads the "active" button (#2) as I want.
My problem is this, if I navigate out of this page and return to the main page and then back to the Settings page again, it loads all the "inactive" buttons BUT if I navigate to the buttons of the streams I selected before it automatically shows me the correct "active" button.

In a few words, how can I go to the settings page (second time) and have pre-selected the buttons I selected before?

Thanks.

mp3dom
22nd November 2011, 16:46
You need to have a default activated button (BOG) in the setting page that re-calculate the active audio/subs and enable the buttons accordingly.

srfscenar
22nd November 2011, 16:56
So one dummy bog in settings page that will do that.
Every audio/sub stream has an id.
Eg. Audio 1 has gpr1=1, audio 2 gpr1=2 and audio 3 gpr1=3.
sub1 gpr2=1, sub2 gpr2=2 etc.
If i tell that new bog to check those gpr's and load the appropriate button will that work?
Is that what you meant?

Thanks.

mp3dom
22nd November 2011, 17:19
More or less, yes it's what I meant.
It's better if you update the gprm on the check (Set GPR1=PSRAudio and so on) and not used a previously stored value (this helps because if the user change the audio while you're on the movie, the setting page risks to be not up to date).
Also it's a good way to put this 'check' on buttonID=0 and Audio/Sub button next (Audio1 ID=1 for OFF, ID=2 for ON, Audio2 ID=3 for OFF, 4 for ON and so on)
In that way you can simply start with ALL buttons set to Disabled and then you simply enable the GPR1(the audio stream value) x 2.
Something similar can be made for subs.

srfscenar
23rd November 2011, 14:17
Thank you!
I'll give it a try and let you know of the results.