PDA

View Full Version : Subs won't load when rar-ed in MPC-HC

Benihana
3rd September 2011, 22:16
Issue: Subtitles will not load in MPC-HC 64bit if the .sub file is in a RAR archive.

EDIT: Solution: Get unrar64.dll from rarlab.com, the makers of WinRAR. (note, it's in the "UnRar.dll" package itself)

Hello. I am currently using MPC-HC x64 1.5.2.3456 and have set my playback->output options to "EVR Custom Pres" and have ticked the playback "autoload subtitles" box. I have many movies I previously backed up as XviD and used .idx/.sub files. The .sub files are in a RAR archive to save space.

I can get the subtitles to appear if I extract the .sub file from the RAR archive, but when it's in the RAR archive itself it will not load. The same .avi + .idx + .rar file plays back perfectly on another system running Windows 7 32bit.

I had tried ffdshow temporarily, and set ffdshow as my video decoder + subtitle renderer. The subtitles appeared just fine.

I thank y'all in advance if you know how to get subtitles to load with MPC-HC x64's internal renderer without having to extract my .sub files.

Benihana
3rd September 2011, 23:31
TL;DR: Just install VobSub 2.23 (32bit) and you can now enjoy RAR archived subtitles with 64bit MPC-HC's internal renderer.

I apologize for double posting, but it seems I figured this out. For anybody else who might stumble on this thread, this is how and why I had this issue.

It turns out that my second Windows 7 32bit machine also had VobSub 2.23 installed, and after searching the forums for "vobsub rar" I found that VSFilter does not parse .sub files within RAR archives. (at least not the built in one for MPC-HC)

To make matters worse, VobSub was discontinued longback, so there isn't a 64bit version of it.

So basically, MPC-HC CANNOT display subtitles that are kept within RAR archives.

But!! I was able to install VobSub 2.23 onto my 64bit Windows 7 installation and the internal renderer for MPC-HC does indeed parse the .sub file within the RAR archive. I cannot configure the VobSub using the control panel, as 32bit .dll/.ax files are no longer kept within c:\windows\system32, but the playback still does work.

clsid
4th September 2011, 01:59
You need to put unrar64.dll in system32.

Benihana
4th September 2011, 04:35
... Or that. :) Thanks clsid, it worked beautifully! *noobish smile*