PDA

View Full Version : Solution: "Soft subs" with MeGUI

xBatzy
25th April 2011, 17:38
How to rip "Soft Subs" using MeGui

If you are not familiar with MeGui please see http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/Guides/Basic_Guide and see the Basic Guide to Ripping a dvd first.

I have been searching for a way to rip selectable subs with MeGui for awhile, and had come across some very long winded and alternate program heavy how to's and "easy ways" to do it none of which actually used MeGui to rip the subs.

After a little trial and error, it turns out that you can encode subtitles so that their selectable in MP4 and MKV. For some reason (for the time being) you can only hard code subtitles in avi. I havent been able to find a way to do it yet otherwise.

If you've got a basic understanding of MeGui (See Linked guide for first time set up instructions) to get the selectable subtitles isn't a difficult process.

- Open MeGui go to Tools and select File Indexer

- The first job to take the .vob file and create the .dv2 shouldnt take long (1 to 2 mins)

- Once the first job is done it brings up avisynth script editor click save and go to the tab labeled input. Video encoding should already be filled out. Hit Enqueue. Audio should be the same.

- Return to Tools go to Vob Subber (Ctrl+N). An Input dialogue should pop up, select [...] navigate to where your video files should be on your hard drive and select the .ifo file.

- Depending on how you ripped your video file once you've selected the ifo file you should have a number of options for subtitles. Select which streams you want and click Queue.

- Start the process to encode your movies. This can take anywhere from 45 mins to 1hr and 1/2. Once the movie is done encoding return to the tools menu and select Muxer -- Adaptive Muxer. Select your video input as well as your audio stream. When you come down to the subtitles option select the .idx file (I believe that MeGui can handle up to 4 subtitle streams).

- Under muxed output name the file to the name of the movie and select your container you'll have 3 options M2TS, MKV, and MP4. Select Queue. Start the encoder for the final time and when its finished you will have your movie with selectable subtitles.