PDA

View Full Version : Portable graphedit/vobsub sub-graphs?

Mentar
5th February 2002, 13:55
I'm sorry if this issue has already been discussed indepth, but if it was, I didn't find it.

The general problem I'm trying to solve is to create a subtitle graph which is as portable as possible and just works. Unfortunately many trial-and-error attempts have pointed out tons of incompatibilities.

For example, graphs created with DirectX8.0 and VobSub2.01 seemed to have the least difficulties - they play VS2.01 under DirectX8.1 but crash Vobsub2.05 and higher.

Graphs created with DirectX8.1 and VobSub2.01 are rejected on several DirectX7.0 and 8.0 systems (class not found)

Higher VobSub versions are not downward-compatible, so VS2.08+ graphs will not play on VS2.01 installations.

My main problem is that I don't really understand the mechanics behind DirectShow filters. So here's my questions:

1) If a DirectShow filter is chosen by graphedit, and the graph is run on a different system which _lacks_ the exact same version of an annouced filter, does windows automatically locate the "next best" filter, or does it barf an error?

2) Is there any configuration of DirectX and VobSub which will play on most systems without rejecting graphs due to "class not found"?

I'm a bit stumped here and glad for any shared experiences in this matter!