PDA

View Full Version : VirtualDub Capture Resolution Problem

SuperGood
5th February 2002, 03:33
Hi,

I have a new ATI TV WONDER PCI. I am running Windows XP, with the newest ATI Multimedia Center (7.1). I have a 850MHz, 256MB RAM, 60GB 7200rpm HD. I think I have seen this problem before on onther posts, but I don't remember seeing an answer to it. The problem is that, when I use Virtualdub's capture program, I can only choose resolutions, such as 320x240 or 640x240, etc. Basically the second one has to be "240". I want to try and capture at 640x480, but if I do select that, virtualdub gives me an error message, such as "Error 418: Unsupported Video Format" I have the latest WDM->VFW drivers. Everything seems to be installed properly, but I can't capture at that resolution. However, if I use iuVCR (which I understand is an WDM program), I get 640x480 resolution. The thing is, I would really like to use VirtualDub to do my capturing. I understand that Vdub, is a VFW capturing program. Someone, earlier was saying that supposedly the setting for ATI cards is hard to find for 640x480, but it is deffinately possible. If anyone could give me any insight into how I could go about capturing at 640x480 with VirtualDub, plz. let me know. TIA.

SuperGood
6th February 2002, 10:26
If there is anyone else with this same type of problem, could they please post a msg., so I know if this is a problem with my card/settings/program, and not specifically with me. Thanks.

6th February 2002, 17:20
Turn off overlay in VirtualDub.

SuperGood
6th February 2002, 21:44
Thanks for the suggestion. However, that does not work, I have tried turning off overlay, tried turning on preview, etc. Nothing works. Is there anything else I can try?

Koepi
8th February 2002, 01:14
Well, I've no ATi card, so I don't know what kind of drivers you can use.
But in Win2k I can now successfully capture up to 768x576. I just had to install (well, and tweak around a little) a btwincap driver - http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/

This only works for bt878 based cards - but if it works it works like charme :) With my original Avermedia drivers I could only capture up to 720x288.

(Ok, the vfw / vxd / win9x drivers do work pretty well as well, but I don't like the idea of using extended DOS for capturing...)

Regards,
Koepi

theReal
10th February 2002, 13:40
Try changing the color format to different values (like YUV, RGB, whatever option you have) - that makes a difference for my capture setup

SuperGood
17th February 2002, 23:06
Koepi: I tried your suggestion, and installed those drivers, but after I did, I could no longer use my tvcard properly. I had no choice but to re-install my ati drivers. maybe it has something to with WINXP.

theReal: I have already tried different color settings, etc., it still will not allow me to capture at 640x480 with vdub.

Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks

theReal
18th February 2002, 20:33
maybe changing the preview format to "preview" instead of "overlay" helps?
I get an error when trying to capture non-standard resolutions with overlay-preview.

SuperGood
19th February 2002, 03:46
Thanks for the suggestion, but I actually tried that before I even posted. Changing overlay, preview, etc. does not do anything for me.

jehh
19th February 2002, 22:15
I had this problem too...

That card is not able to capture both fields, I replaced it with an ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON card to solve the problem...

That cards max capture is 640x240...

Jason

alkasecond
22nd February 2002, 02:32
Originally posted by jehh
I had this problem too...

That card is not able to capture both fields, I replaced it with an ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON card to solve the problem...

That cards max capture is 640x240...

Jason

How come I can capture at 640x480 then?
ATI tv wonder pci, winXP, drivers from sourceforge.

jehh
22nd February 2002, 02:53
He might have the VE card, you have the full card...

ATI has made several TV cards...

Jason

alkasecond
22nd February 2002, 03:31
Originally posted by SuperGood
Hi,

I have a new ATI TV WONDER PCI. TIA.

Beside VE stands for ntsc only versus pal/ntsc for pci AFAIK.

theReal
22nd February 2002, 03:35
Beside VE stands for ntsc only versus pal/ntsc for pci AFAIK

A friend of mine has a Radeon VE and it works perfectly with PAL television.
I think VE only stands for "Value Edition" in general (?)

jehh
22nd February 2002, 03:53
Yes, the VE edition is the value edition...

It only captures at 640x240 resolution, for whatever reason...

Jason

alkasecond
22nd February 2002, 04:15
http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products/pc/tv_wonder_ve/index.html

Looks like only difference is lack of stereo tuner on VE.

BTW since this thread is so active maybe you can help me guys?
How to turn captured avi into SVCD (as simple as possible)?

jehh
22nd February 2002, 04:59
Well, I owned one, and I can attest it only does 640x240, even asked here on the boards and got that answer back from a number of people as well...

Jason

SuperGood
26th February 2002, 10:54
It has been a while since I have replied. First off, just to set things straight, I have the ATI TV WONDER PCI, not the ATI TV WONDER VE. Like I said earlier, with virtualdub, I can capture at a max of 640x240, even though I want to capture at 640x480. However, in iuvcr, I can capture at 640x480 just fine. However, I have now run into another problem as well. First off, I tried the idea of installing different drivers for my card, the soundforge ones. I uninstalled all of the ATI drivers, and programs. I then proceded to install the universal drivers, that I had downloaded. When it finished installing, I tried to install the tv tuner software for my ati card, to be able to watch tv. However, apparently the software did not like having some random driver instead of the ATI one, so it did not work. So, I decided to uninstall all of the previous drivers, and re-install the ATI ones. Once I did that, I installed the MMC, and I could again watch TV. However, I then tried opening up virtualdub's capture mode, and found that it would not work anymore. As soon as I opened up the capture mode, I got an error message saying: "Video device already in use: You cannot use this device when another video application, such as........, is already using it. To use this device close all other applications using it......." Now I know for a fact nothing else is running that would be using it, I even checked. I decided that virtualdub was just a lost cause, and I should stick to iuVCR to do my capturing. However, even there, I ran into a problem. I can capture at any resolution I want, but..., the audio and video are never in sync. And if you are thinking that it is off by a fixed rate, that is not true. For example, if I were to record a one hour tv show, and then try to watch it. During the play back, at the begining the audio/video may be off by just a little. However, the middle may be off by a full second or more, and the end may then again be off by a little. Basically it is different everywhere throughout the playback. I am recording NTSC (live in USA), so at 29.970 fps. However, whenever I open up the file in vdub, after capturing, I check the file info, and I notice that the framerate is always different, for every recording. Sometimes it is very 29, sometimes 30, sometimes 31. Yet during capture I almost never drop any frames. I don't understand whats going on. For those fimiliar with iuVCR I have ver. 4.0.0.200, with settings as follows normally YUY2 640x480 PICVideo MJPEG Codec at quality 19, 44100 16bit stereo PCM, and I have tried variations, capturing at less resolution, different codecs, different qualities, etc. And I have tried setting the master stream as audio and video. But whatever I try, the audio/video is not in snyc. If anyone can please help me with any of these problems. Either getting vdub to work again, or getting iuVCR to be in sync of audio/video. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PeeJayNL
13th March 2002, 20:39
Well,

your problem seems familiar to me. I have an Hauppauge Wintv and I get the same errormessage you get when capturing at higher resolutions (WinXp, WDM drivers). Booted Up my WinMe and guess what, using the VFW drivers for my card, it captures the higher resolution settings.So definitely, I guess the problem is in the WDM drivers. Don't know how to get it right as VFW drivers aren't supported anymore in WinXP (as I was told)