PDA

View Full Version : DVD-RAM *.VRO File Conversion

jmracek
4th February 2002, 18:02
I am trying to convert DVD-RAM video discs to mpeg2.

the file is a *.VRO video file. These files are not
copy protected. I can change the file extension on the HDD
and play them with media player. The problem is that the
whole file isn't played. Media player eventually locks up.

Does anyone have any experiance using these files on a
windows 2000 machine. There doesn't seem to be any software
out there that can convert these files to anything else.
The only software I found was for an apple.

thanks
Jack

tonyaldr
27th April 2002, 16:32
I've got a DMR-E10 that I just picked up, and I have the same question about converting VRO files. Hopefully posting again will keep the subject alive. I've heard that PowerDVD will play the files without any lockups, but haven't tried it. Try downloading a demo from the www.gocyberlink.com website. By the way, you mentioned an Apple solution in your post. Could you tell me what that is? Thanx.

jmracek
29th April 2002, 15:34
I still haven't found away of converting a dvd-ram to dvd-r.
However, power-dvd and win-dvd will play the files on a
computer just fine. Windvd seems to give better results for dealing
with multi track disks. But both seem to work.

Jack.

tonyaldr
30th April 2002, 04:45
How about that Apple solution you mentioned in your earlier post?

jmracek
30th April 2002, 15:37
Toast Titanium looks like it can
deal with DVD-RAM files and maybe convert
them to DVD-R. But I haven't seen a PC solution
from them yet. I looked at Roxio's web site a few
weeks ago and there EasyCD Creator Platinum product
is listing DVD-RAM compatibility but I think that is
just for data discs now. Windows XP is DVD-RAM compliant
as far as that goes, but it doesn't seem to have any
video conversion utilities.
I converted one DVD-RAM video once. If I recall I
renamed the vro file to mpg. Media player would now play
it. (As Long as there was only one track on the DVD-RAM).
I then used TMPGENC to convert it to a VCD. It wasn't
very easy and I got general protection faults once in a while.
But I did do it.

Jack

tonyaldr
30th April 2002, 20:10
Thanx for the info. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for more and post anything useful.

tonyaldr
16th May 2002, 22:56
There's a product from Software Architect called GreatVideo which claims to handle and convert VRO files. Don't know anyone who's used it though. I'm currently unemployed so I'm holding off on it until I start getting a regular paycheck. If you want to take a look, here's their website - http://www.softarch.com

EiGuscheMa
7th June 2002, 07:34
tonyaldr,

I downloaded the GreatVideo manual from Softarch and now I think this is not what weīre after. GreatVideo allows you to convert .vro to QuickTime on a file to file basis.
If you donīt want to fiddle with QuickTime you may achieve the same thing by demultiplexing the .vro files using TMpegEncīs MPEG-Tools. You will get a .m2v video and an .ac3 audio (in case of the DMR-E20) that you can use for DVD-authoring. This works quite well for me.
But:
The DMR-E20 puts everything into one big .vro, no matter how many programs (or say chapters) are stored on the disc. (In case of DV-Capture there may be several dozens of them) The information about the .vro content is stored in an .ifo file on the disc. But that .ifo seems to be totally different from that .ifo found on a DVD-Video.
I am still looking for software that can deal with this .ifo

In Japan there seems to be a program called DVD-Movie-Album by Panasonic that does just that. But it is not available for download outside Japan.

letīs try ko keep this thread alive

cap4000
8th June 2002, 15:38
I have tried Dvd junior and converted vro's to vob's successfully, all
different bit rates. This was using demo DVDjunior 1.18. Couldn't get version 1.20 to work. Still lookin' for Demo 1.18. (lost it).

drmih
26th June 2002, 17:23
There's no problem converting the files if you only have clips with one speed in the file. Just demux the .m2v part using vobrator/dvmpeg/tmpgenc or whatever and then get the audio by using dvd2avi (the reason for this is that when seperated there is quite often a sync problem which is included in the audio file name). Take the audio track and if there is a delay use besweet to convert it taking the delay into account. The video and audio tracks are then in standard form and can be authored or whatever with most software.

EiGuscheMa
31st July 2002, 06:39
I just found some interesting threads at avsforum about this topic (go to dvd and ld Hardware). Guys are discussing several approaches (DVDjr vs DVDMovieAlbum vs DVDWorkshop) They also mention that you can order a "driver" disk for the LF-D321U DVD-RAM/R drive from panasonic for 7$ inside US. It contains the DVDMovieAlbum, DvDIt LE and other things. MovieAlbum seams to work with NTSC material only, so the european LF-D321E software does not include it:(
Thereīs an update to DVDMovieAlbum 2.6 at panasonic.jp (Itīs all japanese so you might want to use an online translator)
I like MovieAlbum because it offers much of the functionality the DMR-E20 has.
just FYI

Blue-Laser-27GB
17th March 2003, 18:34
Don't waste your money on that GreatVideo garbage.

I have found a very easy and very simply way to extrac the VOB files out of the VRO file.

Here is the layout and instructions:

1. A .VRO file contains several VOB files which contain all the information recorded.

2. Those VOB files are standard DVD VOB files in MPEG-2 format, and may be editing normally.

INTRUCTIONS:

Analyze the VRO file and extract them directly from the DVD-RAM disc in your DVD-RAM pc drive using "VOBtool 0.93 from Dracore"

NOTE: DO NOT COPY THE .VRO FILE TO YOUR HARD DRIVE, KEEP IT ON THE DVD-DISC, AND EXTRACT THE VOBs DIRECTLY FROM THERE (otherwise it will corrupt).

EiGuscheMa
2nd April 2003, 14:10
Hi,

thatīs really great news! Itīs exactly what Iīve been after for a long time.
Unfortunately that Vobtool is not in the download area. Does Dracore have a website?

marxking
8th July 2003, 08:16
Thanks for your suggestion.
I got the vobtool and extract the *.vro files to *.vob files.
but I have a question....
The video is 16:9 at my original VRO file ,and I can play it at the general DVD player and PC (by powerdvd or windvd) with 16:9 ratio shown. After extracting to vob file by vobtool,the video of the vob file was cahnged to 4:3 .....so strange ...
can someone tell me how to transfer the 4:3 video to 16:9 ??
thanks a lot !

Originally posted by Blue-Laser-27GB
Don't waste your money on that GreatVideo garbage.

I have found a very easy and very simply way to extrac the VOB files out of the VRO file.

Here is the layout and instructions:

1. A .VRO file contains several VOB files which contain all the information recorded.

2. Those VOB files are standard DVD VOB files in MPEG-2 format, and may be editing normally.

INTRUCTIONS:

Analyze the VRO file and extract them directly from the DVD-RAM disc in your DVD-RAM pc drive using "VOBtool 0.93 from Dracore"

NOTE: DO NOT COPY THE .VRO FILE TO YOUR HARD DRIVE, KEEP IT ON THE DVD-DISC, AND EXTRACT THE VOBs DIRECTLY FROM THERE (otherwise it will corrupt).

UncleTig
21st October 2004, 12:43
I'm making this post mainly to reactivate this topic as I don't think the answer to the original question has been found.

I would also love to be able to use my pc to convert the .vro files made by my Panasonic dmr-e50 to vobs and therefore create a DVD-R Disc.

I've been searching the web for months now to no avail.

The simple solution of using 'vobtool 0.93' sounds great - but where on earth (or the web) can I find it?!!! I found 'vobtool 0.06' but it only handles .vob files.

If anyone out there can help you would make my day:D

Cheers

tonyaldr
23rd October 2004, 16:13
I've been exporting those files to my computer as MPG files using the program DVD MovieAlbum SE that is provided by Panasonic when you buy one of their internal or external DVD-RAM drives. At that point you can use any DVD authoring program to create DVDs. Hope that helps!

robguy
23rd October 2004, 16:20
Have you tried using something from the TMPGEnc product line?

Assuming that you have a DVD-ROM (like one made by lite-on) or a DVD burner (like the Iomega DVD Superdrive) that can read .VRO files on your PC, the simplest solution I've found to convert .VRO to MPEG-2 is to import the .VRO files into either TMPGEnc DVD Author or TMPGEnc Xpress 2.5 or 3. Once they're converted, I can use any number of products to cut the MPEGs to remove commercials, etc.), then use DVD Author to burn the edited MPEGs back to a -R.

Of course, these programs are not free, but the results are what I had been looking for -- and the effort requires less hoops to jump through and learning curves that I found inherent in many free programs.

UncleTig
25th October 2004, 13:07
Thanks for the responses guys.

Tonyaldr, "DVD MovieAlbum SE that is provided by Panasonic" should be a great solution BUT...it only works with the NTSC format, not PAL. So you guys in the States get it bundled with your Panasonic drives but we in the UK don't:(

Robguy, I've had to admit defeat on trying to solve my problem with free software. If anyone else out there knows of a free way to solve this issue then I would still like to know about it.

If it's of help to others I found that DVD LAB will directly accept the .vro file and build a complete movie with bespoke menu and scene seletions (+ many other features I've not used yet). It will then burn a competed DVD-R suitable for any player.
DVD Lab costs $99 but best of all you can download a 30 day free trial to test it out before you buy.

What are others peoples experiences with DVDLAB? (before my 30 day trial finishes!)

Cheers

volvofl10
27th October 2004, 23:17
Originally posted by robguy
Have you tried using something from the TMPGEnc product line?

dvd author does it. you need a RAM capable reader on your pc, its probably easier and better to use the "EDit" feature on your panasonic recorder rather than any dvd authopring prog .

run the ram disc thru TMPGenc DVDauthor , this will give you a folder full of .VOB files, you can burn to media with nero or something similar .

SeeMoreDigital
2nd November 2004, 17:55
Does anybody know what type of Mpeg2 stream DVD-RAM uses?

Is it I, P and B-frame based or I-frame only.?

I only ask because for a "disc" based system it seems very easy to edit!

Cheers

WaryWolf
4th November 2004, 18:31
also, i've found that renaming the .vro files to .mpg lets them play fine, and seek (at least on my pc).

@ SeeMoreDigital: my guess is that it's either I and P frames only, or I,P,B but with smaller I frame intervals.

andre5
25th November 2004, 22:30
@volvofl10
Can you give some detail how you run it thru TMPGenc DVDauthor.
If I run it thru TMPGenc I got a m2v and a wav file and no vobs.

volvofl10
26th November 2004, 11:41
Originally posted by andre5
@volvofl10
Can you give some detail how you run it thru TMPGenc DVDauthor.
If I run it thru TMPGenc I got a m2v and a wav file and no vobs.
i use TMPGenc DVD Authore version 1.5.20.62, my writer/reader is a RAM/-R/+R machine.
open tmpgenc DVDauthor ,select "create new project",
then select " add DVD video" , at this point the program asks me if i want to copy to Hard drive as its better for tmpgenc to work with the file, which i do.( this then takes a copy of the RAM disc onto my HDD)
this takes a while, , but when its done it allows me to progress onto the next screen which is add/alter menus ( i dont usually bother),then it takes me to the "output" page, where you select the folder you want the files to go to,( a VIDEO_TS folder) and hit the button and wait again till its encoded the file. when it all done, you will have a load of VOB files in that folder, which you can use whatever prog you choose to burn them with .
its a lenghty process, about 2hours with a P4 2.2 processor, but ti works for me
hope thats of help

andre5
26th November 2004, 22:59
thank you for help.
I tried it with TMPGenc DVD Author 1.6 like you explained it. After selecting "add DVD Video" I select "DVD-VR programm" and click next. Now i got following error message: the programm is a mix of different video formats.
I don't understand because its only one movie recorded from TV.

volvofl10
26th November 2004, 23:55
Originally posted by andre5
thank you for help.
I tried it with TMPGenc DVD Author 1.6 like you explained it. After selecting "add DVD Video" I select "DVD-VR programm" and click next. Now i got following error message: the programm is a mix of different video formats.
I don't understand because its only one movie recorded from TV.

ok, what you have probably got, is a variable bit rate program.
although its only 1 program/movie on your RAM disc, there will be a part thats either , black and white in a colour film( or vice versa), or 2 differant formats like a 16:9 film, with 4:3 adverts or something odd like that.
if its adverts, you may be able to strip them out with your recorder and tmpgenc may work.
i use a panny 55e , and in settings i use
"hybrid VBR resolution = FIXED", but the Default is set to variable .
this should solve your problem. it did the same to me with an old B+W film with colour trailers at the beginning

Rassilon
21st February 2005, 09:06
HI All,
I found a web site that appears to be Dracor's page. It can be found here -=>VCDGear Coded by dracor (http://www.vcdgear.com/index.html). I have just run it on a VRO file and it worked VERY WELL! When you start it up all you have to do is Click the "vcdgear" button and then in the extraction/conversion select mpeg/mpeg (For the VRO anyway), Tap the "Load" button, pick your VRO file and "Start" it up :-)

andre5
22nd February 2005, 22:22
Thank you
It is the tool I was looking for. It works fine and is simple to handel.:)

17th March 2005, 09:13
You can try this to convert VRO to VOB. It's very quick but the interface may look strange to you.
Hope it helpful!!

http://www2.mnx.jp/~dle871/

Rassilon
13th April 2005, 09:18
Originally posted by Guest
You can try this to convert VRO to VOB. It's very quick but the interface may look strange to you.
Hope it helpful!!

http://www2.mnx.jp/~dle871/

This software I was able to finally stumble my way through and It looks like it converted my DVD-RAM disk into a standard DVD format with VOB, BUP and IFO's. I have written to the author and if (s)he understands english I'll hopefully get a reply. If I do, I'll post it here...

Rassilon
15th April 2005, 09:17
I tried VCD Gear and it worked well and fast, but for some reason the resulting MPEG file was not recognised by TMPGEnc, so I did some more searching and found that FlasKMPEG will convert it into something that is more "Conventional" than the VRO.

All I have to do now is to work out how do get FlasKMPEG to decomb the output :confused:

pilotsnipes
27th May 2005, 10:58
Thank you folks for those links, they have been very useful.

Rassilon
22nd January 2022, 09:54
I know it's only been 20 years:D, but I found the link and thought that I'd share it - https://www.dvdvobtompg.com/