PDA

View Full Version : Very desynced subs

InfoCynic
4th February 2002, 04:40
I'm working on subtitles for an anime, and I have the DVD here, so I ripped the subs straight from it with SmartRipper, then use SubRip 0.97b to make two SRTs (two languages). I tried playing the subs back with the divx encoded movie, but they are very out-of-sync. I tried adjusting the track so that the first sub plays in the correct place, and the subs that go with the first scene fit okay, but then the next subs are about 30 seconds too early, and it gets worse from there. What could have caused this, and what can I do to correct this, if anything? :confused:

UHT
4th February 2002, 05:28
follow one of the guides, for example the gordian knot one, and do exactly what it instructs regarding subtitles

InfoCynic
4th February 2002, 17:20
GKnot's guide only covers VobSub, which means you either get burned-in subtitles or bitmap subs, which take up WAY more space than text-based subs.

And I did examine the guides for resynching subs available here, but I can't find the tool mentioned in the guide: SubAdjuster (by Frodo, not the same as SubAdjust 1.5x).

yuinfo
5th February 2002, 00:40
Originally posted by InfoCynic
GKnot's guide only covers VobSub, which means you either get burned-in subtitles or bitmap subs, which take up WAY more space than text-based subs.
Not with the new 2.09 version, you can OCR them. And the engine is gooood, try it.

j_olson
16th May 2002, 22:54
Originally posted by InfoCynic

And I did examine the guides for resynching subs available here, but I can't find the tool mentioned in the guide: SubAdjuster (by Frodo, not the same as SubAdjust 1.5x).

I found that program a few months ago, but had problems for a long time before I got it to (almost) work. It stopped without creating the output file, but it was all to be found in Temp$.sub. The end result was good.
However, now I'm trying to use the program but can't get any result at all :angry:
It just says: "The file input.sub doesn't exist!" and creates an empty Temp$.sub.
I have sub.exe in the same dir as input.sub. I've tried adding ".\" to the path, giving the full path of the input and output file, giving the parameter "input" instead of "input.sub" - to no avail.
And I don't remember what I did last time to get it to work - if it would help this time I don't know...

What I have is: "SUBtitle adjuster, synchronizer and converter for MicroDVD by fr0do. Version 1.41".

Any help?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

InfoCynic
17th May 2002, 01:16
I've had almost no trouble (notable exception: Battlefield Earth, which I eventually gave up on) with the newer versions of VobSub that have OCR capabilities. I'm still hoping a future version lets us save character matricies, but hey, it works, and it only takes a few minutes per movie per language. :)

gabest
18th May 2002, 07:42
No need to worry, the "work-in-progress" version can already save and edit char matrices.