PDA

View Full Version : VOB extracted but timeline bar is off

jpietrowiak
7th November 2010, 04:29
Hi All,
I have extracted some VOB files and used "VOBmerge 2.51 Remixed". The video plays ok if starting from the beginning. If I click the slider and try to move video ahead it automatically restarts the Video. Is there a way to fix this or am I missing something in the settings?

Also I noticed sometimes when I extract VOB files and play them I have to click the timeline bar way ahead then the bar might move half way between where I clicked and the previous position.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

r0lZ
8th November 2010, 13:28
I haven't used VobMerge much, but IIRC it is not designed to compile several VOB files from different sources. It can only create a big VOB from a set of VOBs coming from the same titleset. (You can do that also with the MS-DOS copy command.)

Anyway, the VOB files are not designed to be played directly, without the IFOs. If you really want to convert VOB files to a video format that can be played on PC but without re-encoding, I suggest to use MakeMKV (http://www.makemkv.com/) (free to convert DVD-Video, will be payware for Blue Ray discs). It will pack the VOB files in a single MKV container, and keep the original chapter points.

Of course, take in mind that you cannot merge several VOBs if they do not have the same characteristics (same picture size, encoding parameters, number and type of audio and subpic streams, etc...)

jpietrowiak
9th November 2010, 00:15
Thanks for your reply! I only use VOBmerge to combine multiple VOB files from an extracted DVD which is the same source if thats what you mean. I use vlcmedia player to play them and transport them for my daughter to watch on the laptop but do not convert into another format. I do not believe I have the IFO's just the large VOB. Will using MakeMKV make the file smaller I assume then the VOB as well? I know I tried to figure out how to burn a VOB file to DVD but couldn't figure it out. Granted I only tried for about a half hour at the time.

r0lZ
9th November 2010, 12:08
I only use VOBmerge to combine multiple VOB files from an extracted DVD which is the same source if thats what you mean.
For technical reasons, on a real DVD, the files cannot be equal or greater to 1GB. So, the large movies are split into parts of less than 1GB each. On a PC (with NTFS discs), you can use bigger files, so it is possible to join the files together. But that doesn't mean that you can combine together the different titles of the same DVD. For example, a bonus might be shot in 4:3, and it is not compatible with a 16:9 movie.

Will using MakeMKV make the file smaller I assume then the VOB as well?
No, since there is no re-encoding. However, MakeMKV may drop some useless information, so there might be a slight gain. And you can select the audio and subpic streams to keep, and removing useless streams saves disc space.

I know I tried to figure out how to burn a VOB file to DVD but couldn't figure it out. Granted I only tried for about a half hour at the time.
You cannot burn a VOB file directly to DVD. Most players will not recognise it. You have to burn a complete DVD structure (with the IFO and BUP files) and use a good program such as ImgBurn, or convert the movie to a format that your player can play (such as XviD AVI or MPG). Unfortunately, very few players can recognize the MKV format.

jpietrowiak
9th November 2010, 22:21
ok that makes sense so I will have to re-encode and convert to another format in order for the file to be recognizable to a burning program to go back into DVD format. I will try MakMKV and try to redo the VOB files or just convert to another format and then the slider will work correctly.

Thanks r0LZ appreciate the help!

r0lZ
10th November 2010, 11:18
To burn a DVD with your current VOB files, it is probably sufficient to generate the missing IFOs with IfoEdit.