PDA

View Full Version : How do I format a RAW SD card into NTFS?

Janset
16th October 2010, 05:05
Hi all.

To those who have been following my previous post I appologize for copying my last response but I think this is now a new question, so here goes. :o

My 32 Gig SD card was originally FAT32 but due to the size limitation of FAT32, I could not load the large singular ISO movie files onto it because as you probably know most are 4.5 to 6.5 gig in size.

Windows XP will only format FAT, FAT32 and exFAT.

To get XP to format into NTFS I had to fiddle with the settings in Control panel/system/hardware/Device Manager/Generic-multi card USB device/ and click tab >policies, and then select the bottom radio button (the top being the default) it then then gave me the option of formating to NTFS from within the drop down panel.

I did this and directed XP to format into NTFS. The formatting window came up and the bar scale went to the very end. It paused there for some seconds and then presented me with the message, "Windows was unable to format this drive", or words to that effect.

When I checked the SD card I found that it had now been reverted to the RAW condition.

I suppose in a pinch I could try to format it back to FAT32,but then I would be back where I started. Not the desired outcome.

I have tried to search Google to find a (free) program to do this but after 6 hours of searching still no joy.

My question now is, how do I format a RAW SD card into NTFS?

Regards

jmartinr
16th October 2010, 12:14
Does using format via the prompt the trick?
C:\Documents and Settings\Jan Martin Roelofs>format /?
Formats a disk for use with Windows XP.

FORMAT volume [/FS:file-system] [/V:label] [/Q] [/A:size] [/C] [/X]
FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q] [/F:size]
FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q] [/T:tracks /N:sectors]
FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q]
FORMAT volume [/Q]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
mount point, or volume name.
/FS:filesystem Specifies the type of the file system (FAT, FAT32, or NTFS).
/V:label Specifies the volume label.
/Q Performs a quick format.
/C NTFS only: Files created on the new volume will be compressed
by default.
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary. All opened
handles to the volume would no longer be valid.
/A:size Overrides the default allocation unit size. Default settings
are strongly recommended for general use.
NTFS supports 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K, 64K.
FAT supports 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K, 64K,
(128K, 256K for sector size > 512 bytes).
FAT32 supports 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K, 64K,
(128K, 256K for sector size > 512 bytes).

Note that the FAT and FAT32 files systems impose the
following restrictions on the number of clusters on a volume:

FAT: Number of clusters <= 65526
FAT32: 65526 < Number of clusters < 4177918

Format will immediately stop processing if it decides that
the above requirements cannot be met using the specified
cluster size.

NTFS compression is not supported for allocation unit sizes
above 4096.

/F:size Specifies the size of the floppy disk to format (1.44)
/T:tracks Specifies the number of tracks per disk side.
/N:sectors Specifies the number of sectors per track.

Janset
16th October 2010, 14:34
Hi jmartinr.

I'm sorry, I have had no experience with comand prompts or DOS. :o

I have had an offer from a friend far smarter than I to have a look at the card. I will show your post to him.

Regards

b66pak
16th October 2010, 19:54
here is your answer:

http://www.ntfs.com/quest22.htm
_

Janset
17th October 2010, 15:54
Hi b66pak.

I did exactly as is said in the link with the only difference being that mine was a SD card and not a flash drive.

My format proceeded exactly as told with the exception that when the progress bar had traveled all the way across, it paused there for about 2 seconds before Windows presented the message "Windows could not perform the format", or words very similar.

I then checked the card "without removing it" via My Computer but now my PC could not read the card, in-fact my PC could not ever see the card.

Somewhere between the message and my checking, Windows advised me that my card was now in a RAW condition. That piece of advice has not been shown to me since.

Regards

b66pak
17th October 2010, 17:33
try SD Formatter 2.0 for SD/SDHC:

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

or

SD Formatter 3.0 (Beta) for SD/SDHC/SDXC

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/
_

The Scientist
17th October 2010, 20:39
32 Gig SD card - Windows could not perform the format - now my PC could not read the card, in-fact my PC could not ever see the card.
My brother had a very similar problem not so long back, I'm probably 'way-off', but worth asking, did you get the card on line? from China?

Janset
18th October 2010, 04:27
Hi guys.

Scientist, yes it was bought from China (isn't everything) and it worked perfectly . I was able to load the full 31 something gig onto the 32 Gig card. I also tested it by loading on 2 files totaling about 5.5 Gig and from then I just kept loading the same file (name changed slightly every time) size 1.08 Gig continuously and all loaded perfectly. It did not give me any problem until I tried to format out of FAT32 into the NTFS.

b66pac, your program looks promising. I could not find any program along these lines when I Googled.

At the moment I am Ghosting the HD (just in case it hits the fan) and then I will give your program a go.

I will get back to you on how I went.

Regards

Janset
18th October 2010, 10:09
b66pac.

Your blood is worth bottling. Your tool worked a treat. The SD card is now formatted back to FAT32 and full capacity. :thanks:

I do have a question though that I hope you can answer.

Can an SD card in-fact be formatted into NTFS?

That is how my problem originated, trying to format. Did I do something wrong perhaps?

I ask this to possibly avoid another disaster just in case you know.

Regards

Ghitulescu
18th October 2010, 10:19
See the thread that appeared in the first line of my google -> http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=12671
or the second one -> http://superuser.com/questions/92433/reformat-sd-card-to-ntfs

The Scientist
18th October 2010, 11:33
I'm not so sure about how valid some of the content of those links are, comments like you can't really format a stick less than 64GB to NTFS and you have to select 'Optimize for Performance' before you can format NTFS are simply not true, mind you, they are a couple of years old, so were probably valid when written, and maybe for older OS. All I can say is on Windows 7 I can format my USB or SD to NTFS and 'optimize for removal' is the default settings.

I'm glad the SD is back up and running, albeit on FAT32, there's also a couple of occasions I've needed to use a dedicated SD formatter over the years to kick it back into life. As for your question can I format it to NTFS, the answer is yes, I don't know why you are not been given the option, but I read you are on XP, I haven't used XP for years so maybe it is different on there, I can't 100% remember its settings or layout.

As for the 'did you buy it in China' question. I asked because my brother bought a 32GB card from China, via ebay, it arrived, its little sticker said it was 32GB, Windows even said it was 32GB, he could even copy files to it, but 32GB it was not, it would not format to NTFS, no file over 4GB, and although we could copy many files to it, and it acted like all the files copied OK, files that were placed on after say a 4GB capacity had been used could never be read back. It appeared to have some kind of file-system trickery on it, or maybe is was just broken, who knows.

Ghitulescu
18th October 2010, 12:38
The trick is known, the info of 32GB is taken from a different part of the memory, and it's not obtained by counting in real time each available MB. The only way of discovering such fakes is to perform a full format, in which case all the available bytes are actually written and the scam is revealed. Even better with a memory test (it might be that the same memory block is addressed twice or 4x ("doubling", "quadrupling" the capacity).

Janset
18th October 2010, 14:47
Hi Guys.

Thanks for the info. Scientist, I had to do all those setting changes to get NTFS to show up on the drop down panel, but as you know it stuffed the file system on the card.

Ghitulescu, I am only using the card to store movies on and northing important. If I remember correctly I think the card did get a full format when I ran the program in the default mode. I will have to re-read the instructions for use.

Regards

Ghitulescu
18th October 2010, 16:29
I'm not so sure about how valid some of the content of those links are, comments like you can't really format a stick less than 64GB to NTFS and you have to select 'Optimize for Performance' before you can format NTFS are simply not true, mind you, they are a couple of years old, so were probably valid when written, and maybe for older OS. All I can say is on Windows 7 I can format my USB or SD to NTFS and 'optimize for removal' is the default settings.The OP has XP not Se7en. I work with windows since 2.0 and I know that sometimes one needs to do some illogical things in order to make something work.

Ghitulescu, I am only using the card to store movies on and northing important. If I remember correctly I think the card did get a full format when I ran the program in the default mode. I will have to re-read the instructions for use.
The brother of Scientist paid for 32GB and got 4GB, that's a crime, it doesn't matter what you store onto it. So you got lucky today but be aware for tomorrow.

AnonCrow
18th October 2010, 22:00
The only way of discovering such fakes is to perform a full format, in which case all the available bytes are actually written and the scam is revealed. Even better with a memory test (it might be that the same memory block is addressed twice or 4x ("doubling", "quadrupling" the capacity).

There's a much simpler and faster way - run HDtach, HDtune, FlashMemoryToolkit or some similar benchmark on it.
If the I/O speed makes a sharp and permanent drop at around 10% into it, then you can be pretty sure it's fake. Then if you really want , spend hours letting h2testw or something else run to get the exact true size.

Janset
19th October 2010, 01:01
Hey Scientist.

>As for your question can I format it to NTFS, the answer is yes, I don't know why you are not been given the option, but I read you are on XP, I haven't used XP for years so maybe it >is different on there, I can't 100% remember its settings or layout. (sorry about this, I do not know how to use your "quote" function)

From what I can gather then, if I remove my XP HD cassette and install my Windows 7 HD Ultimate cassette, I should be able to format the card to NTFS from the drop down panel?

And guys, you mentioned a few tests, how would I get my hands on the program?

Regards

The Scientist
19th October 2010, 01:25
if I remove my XP HD cassette and install my Windows 7 HD Ultimate cassetteI do not know what this means?

And guys, you mentioned a few tests, how would I get my hands on the program?Google is your friend, you'll see each program is at the top of the list.

Janset
19th October 2010, 05:01
Hi Scientist.

Re HD cassette question.

My computer is set up so that the C: drive HD and the Slave drive HD are fitted into removable cradles.

With the power turned off I merely have to grab the handle on the face of the cassette insert and pull it out and re-insert another operating HD cassette and power up.

Using this setup I can have any operating system that I have installed on the various cassette to run my computer. The only limitation is that the operating system must have been installed on this machine originally not on another and then used here.

At the moment, I have 2 cassettes with XP Pro and 2 cassettes with windows 7 Ultimate. At one stage I also had Win2K and Win ME, but I have done away with these.

I will look for those programs as you suggested.

Regards

The Scientist
19th October 2010, 10:00
Re HD cassette question.
My computer is set up so that the C: drive HD and the Slave drive HD are fitted into removable cradles.OK that makes sense, the word "cassette" threw me a bit, I've never heard them called that in England, just called 'caddies' or like you say 'cradles', although I don't really see them around much nowadays.

Best of luck with the SD.

Janset
19th October 2010, 12:21
Hi there.

Yep I have had mine from a number of years now and I like them as much as ever. Come to think of it, I think when I made a search on eBay on the last purchase they were described as Caddies.

I find them useful because both of the same OS have all the same programs loaded and should I do something stupid, rather than immediately re-Ghosting, which can be a month old, I simply swap the caddie and fix the delinquent OS at my leisure.

I forgot to mention that one of my Win7 caddies I classify as my suicide drive. On that I do most of my experimenting. Silly really as I know less about Win7 that XP, but there you have it. My last suicide drive was a Win2K, but I eventually dumped that as it did not have a Restore function.

I am in the process now of running 2 of the programs you suggested, first was h2testw which gave me a few anomalies that I do not quite understand as yet.

I then reformatted to FAT 32 and ran the second program FlashMemory Toolkit. When finished with that I reverted back to running h2testw again. At present it is in the "writing phase and about 1/3 way through. No errors have so far appeared. :p

I will know more in a few hours.

Regards

Janset
26th October 2010, 12:36
Hi all.

I have finished all my testing and it is confirmed that I have a fraud 32 GiG SD card.

I managed to format the SD card to FAT32 and then re-formatted it to exFAT.

From there I used my DVDFab vers 8 program to backup and convert a movie into the AVI format pathing it directly onto the SD card. The end product size was about 1.4 Gig.

I now tested this movie using Windows Media Player and the movie played perfectly to the end.

When the test was completed I copied 2 other working (and converted) movies that I had earlier copied to the Slave partition onto the SD card.

When I opened the SD card and found that I had all 3 AVI movies showing, each with the approximate correct size.

Now come the jaw dropper. Where I said the first movie played O.K., neither of the other 2 movies would play, they would not even load. I was presented with a blank white screen of Windows Media Player.

I retested the working copy and again it played as it should, but again neither of the other 2 would load let alone play, yet they did show up as the approximate correct size of the movie.

And there you have it in a nut shell. It looks like I spent a whole $17.99 cents on a fraudulent 32Gig SD card.

I think I will just have to find a cliff for myself and jump off it. :p

Regards

Ghitulescu
26th October 2010, 13:27
Come on, it's just 8$ a GB, it's not worth killing/injuring yourself.

This is why I prefer to buy in shops (nearby, physical shops :)), one can always bring the faked ware back and ask for a refund or a change. The disadvantage is that it costs more.

Janset
27th October 2010, 12:12
Hey, 8 x 32 = $256. I am too mean to part with $135 for a decent sized SD Card. LOL