PDA

View Full Version : Subtitle - flexibility

LM
30th January 2002, 14:05
Sorry if these questions have been answered before but I couldn't find the answers in the forum.

I am having a few problems converting with a longish foreign film in one step (2GB limit problem).

I can get over this by converting it in 2 or 3 parts.
The problem is subtitles.

I use Vobsub for simplicity. This works fine for part 1.
However, I am having problems getting the subs right for part 2. They are a few seconds out of step.
It seems the only way is to keep adjusting it and playback in WMP until it is correct.
Is there a simpler way ?

How do I get the subs displayed outside the picture area on WMP?
At present, I have to leave a border area at the bottom. This is dead space. There must be a better way!

If I want to burn in the subtitles, how can I do it using Nandub? (Divx generated using GKnot and vbr mp3).

Finally, what is the best alternative to vobsub. the font is bad. I want to change it to something more readable and if possible correct some of the typos.
:confused:

LM
30th January 2002, 15:11
The DVD is using a very stylised font.
Any recommendation of font type to use for best readability.

FactorM
30th January 2002, 16:35
> However, I am having problems getting the subs right for part 2. They are a few seconds out of step.

Just rip the subs in one step completely with vobsub and cut them later with the vobsub.

> How do I get the subs displayed outside the picture area on WMP?

open the properties of vobsub (double click on green arrow in the system tray) and set 'extend to 4:3' and hit save.

> If I want to burn in the subtitles, how can I do it using Nandub?

right, using the vobsub filter. but then you have to reencode the movie i think.

> the font is bad. I want to change it ...

Also in the vobsub properties you could change the font, but i don't whether this works with subtitles created by vobsub or not. I know, that this works with subtitles made by subrip.