PDA

View Full Version : Unicode-aware subtitling tool?

Ghitulescu
2nd April 2010, 11:29
After installing zillions of subtitles related software (including Aegisub) I still cannot manage to insert the "note key" into a subtitle line and obtain a SUP out of it (for DVD). I can see the "note key" in almost every software (that can load text, of course), but not in a single subtitle software.

Do I need to output every single line of lyrics as BMP and edit it by hand? Is this the only solution, in a world that has Unicode for more than 20 years now?

I mean this: ♫ Oh Happy Day

manusse
3rd April 2010, 23:49
Hi,

SubtitleCreator does it easily.

Cheers
Manusse

Ghitulescu
11th April 2010, 06:59
Thank you for the answer, coming from a co-developer. Is this http://sourceforge.net/projects/subtitlecreator/ you are talking about? Well, this is the software I was using :(

If I click on the ♫ on the right a square (⎕) would appear instead of a note. Most of the other signs there do appear correctly though....

Is there a special setting to do this? Provisions, precautions....

rjd0309
11th April 2010, 16:23
Select UTF-16 encoding so that your "note" character will receive the correct index number in the font table, then, for rendering, choose a font set that actually contains the "note" character.

Emulgator
11th April 2010, 20:31
A bit hidden:
In WinXP(German)->Start->Programme->Zubehör->Systemprogramme->Zeichentabelle

Get ArialUnicodeMS:

U+2669: Viertelnote
U+266A: Achtelnote
U+266B: Doppelte Achtelnote
U+266C: Doppelte Sechzehntelnote

Copy from "Zeichentabelle" and paste into your subtitle editor.

Ghitulescu
12th April 2010, 07:47
Get ArialUnicodeMS:

I did everything exactly as you mentioned (this is how I get the note in the SRT), except using ArialUnicodeMS in Subtitle Creator (I was using either SansSerif or Arial). I'll try this font next weekend.

Ghitulescu
15th April 2010, 12:55
Yes, it works: I have to have an Unicode font installed on my PC. Since the unicode symbols appeared in many other software I assumed (wrongly, as I noticed later on) that I had. After installing one, both the original file and the symbol in the right (SubtitleCreator) worked like a charm.

Thanx

Midzuki
15th April 2010, 15:02
Yes, it works: I have to have an Unicode font installed on my PC.

Please define "Unicode font". :) The symbol ♫ appears in various other "Windows TTFs" (Arial, Courier New, Times New Roman, MS Mincho, Lucida Console, etc.), which have been supporting some non-ANSI charsets since "sometime before 1999". :) Also, there are other fonts in which the codepoint 266B is assigned to a different character, and yet such fonts cannot be considered "non-Unicode" only because of this particular feature.

Ghitulescu
15th April 2010, 16:39
That was my problem. I opened the SRT into eg Notepad (and many other softwares) and the ♫ was there. Subtitle Creator could not use it. I checked many fonts (from what was listed there) and still had the ⎕ instead.

I found the other days the Arial Unicode MS (it came with Office, installed on my wordproc. PC, but I had no Office on my video PC) and it worked. Also with Lucida Console Unicode or something (this is my internet PC).

So far, the fonts that have Unicode in their name, worked both with this symbol ♫ (copied from charmap.exe by hand into the SRT opened in notepad.exe and saved as unicode, the font in charmap was Arial) and with the "musical note inserting button" in SC (I think the tag was </M> or something).

Midzuki
15th April 2010, 18:24
Thanks for the clarification. [ *THUMBS UP * ]

Ghitulescu
16th November 2010, 10:22
The symbol ♫ appears in various other "Windows TTFs" (Arial, Courier New, Times New Roman, MS Mincho, Lucida Console, etc.), which have been supporting some non-ANSI charsets since "sometime before 1999". :)

This symbol doesn't appear in any of these fonts, unless Unicode is selected. I've screened lots of fonts and no chance.

See the image attached (ANSI code page set to Windows:Western).

Is there any possibility to embed this damn note into an ANSI-coded SRT?

sneaker_ger
16th November 2010, 10:35
Had no problem, just copied and pasted the "♫ Oh Happy Day" into an ass script using Aegisub and displayed it using vsfilter (as avisynth plugin textsub()). You can then use avs2bdnxml and BDSup2Sub to convert it to your needed format.

Ghitulescu
16th November 2010, 11:18
There is a series of problems I face with no immediate solution

Goal:
- convert SRT files that sometimes contain the musical note (HDH/SDH) and other than English characters into SUP to be muxed into a DVD. Italics (<i>) should also be honoured if present.

Problems:
- while SubtitleCreator can address Unicode (foreign chars + musical note), it outputs broken bitmaps (they seem to be ok for any player except Pioneer)
- MaestroSBT sometimes fails for the same reason (most of them are ok, some however not - within the same subtitles)
- there's no reliable SRT->ASS/SSA convertor that takes non-English characters into account, I've found none.
- most renderers refuse to honour the Italics (<i>) within SRT and no musical sign for being ANSI-encoded

The solutions:
- a TTF font editor to include the damn music note into some used TTFs
- an unicode aware renderer that honours Italics and outputs correct bitmaps

or maybe there's something I'm missing.

PS: I know that most people do not understand these issues as they neither care about subtitles nor use any other char beyond those 26.

sneaker_ger
16th November 2010, 11:40
How is Aegisub unreliable in converting srt to ass?

Ghitulescu
16th November 2010, 11:45
I haven't yet tested as I know no renderer ASS -> SUP.

sneaker_ger
16th November 2010, 11:45
Had no problem, just copied and pasted the "♫ Oh Happy Day" into an ass script using Aegisub and displayed it using vsfilter (as avisynth plugin textsub()). You can then use avs2bdnxml and BDSup2Sub to convert it to your needed format.

(need 5 chars)

SledgeHammer_999
18th November 2010, 20:10
Did you try converting SRT->SUP using "Subrip"?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized that Subrip doesn't output to such format.